Things long gone

Fishingdve

In 1972 on Costa cruise - every night not only was there turn down on our beds (separate beds built into the wall) with chocolate but our night clothes would be spread on the bed - not sure if lovely or creepy.

If you left them out in the open lovely

If you had them in the closet or drawer creepy

If they had them spread on the correct side of the bed you sleep on. REALLY CREEPY!

Midnight buffet with the wonderful ice sculptures. Not sure if it's because our taste buds have gotten more sophisticated (or numb??) but I thought food in the MDR was not "just" banquet food but really wonderful and a treat from what we would normally eat back home. Oh and the baked alaska (or what it's called??) parade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everyone, Feeling a bit nostalgic today? What are some of the things you have done on a cruise that are long gone now? I remember back in the 80's hitting golf balls and shooting skeet off the back of the Song of America. At no extra charge even.

Hello,

coffee tables.

Coffee tables?

Yes, on the Navigator there was no coffee table in my cabin. When I raised this and other matters with Miami, I was told that nowhere are coffee tables mentioned in any of their publications [although pictures of cabins feature them] and I should not expect to see them ever again across the fleet.

But I've never seen mention of carpets or curtains either.:confused:

Regards,

Cublet

This sounds a little crazy and really doesn't have much to do with the cruising part that much, but I really miss the advertising that used Ziggy Pop's Lust for Life....it instantly reminds me of cruising whenever I hear it because our very first cruise on the Adventure they played that constantly on the TV in the cabin and I will always associate that with cruising, and our very first one in particular. We had such a great time that trip. I also miss the cheaper drinks....being that I was a poor college student at that point in life I very much appreciated the 23oz Miller light drafts in the sports bar for a little over $4 :p

Totally agree - Ziggy Pop Lust for Life = Cruising!!

In 1972 on Costa cruise - every night not only was there turn down on our beds (separate beds built into the wall) with chocolate but our night clothes would be spread on the bed - not sure if lovely or creepy.

LOL On our first cruise they would make animals out of Sallie's nighty. I think the "creepy" factor stopped that tradition.

Midnight Buffet.

Just got back from 6 nights on Freedom, my waist line doesn't miss those Midnight Buffets. With all the exercising I do on a sailing and just the walking including excursions.....to keep weight gain reasonable, I surely don't need the Midnight Buffet....I find plenty to eat without it.

Ice bucket filled each day w/o having to request it. Getting handed a drink when you walked onto the ship (Royal). Getting the ship's newspaper each day on the ship, delivered automatically to your cabin. The Baked Alaska parade with the waiters. Chocolates on my pillow each night. The notepad and ink pens with the Royal logo in your room (that you took home with you, of course). The complimentary feminine supplies in the baskets in the restrooms. Pool attendants that didn't just bring you a towel, but laid it out on the lounger for you and picked them up when you got up. The loyalty gifts you received from Royal left on your bed. Being able to combine offers.

Ice bucket filled each day w/o having to request it. Getting handed a drink when you walked onto the ship (Royal). Getting the ship's newspaper each day on the ship, delivered automatically to your cabin. The Baked Alaska parade with the waiters. Chocolates on my pillow each night. The notepad and ink pens with the Royal logo in your room (that you took home with you, of course). The complimentary feminine supplies in the baskets in the restrooms. Pool attendants that didn't just bring you a towel, but laid it out on the lounger for you and picked them up when you got up. The loyalty gifts you received from Royal left on your bed. Being able to combine offers.

I can easily remedy the ice bucket issue, by speaking with my cabin attendant when we first arrive on board -- so that is of little issue to me....and we always thereafter have a filled bucket. After that on your list would be the ability to combine offers -- even if they maxed it out at 2 or 3 rather than NOT at all. Then what works for some vs others, makes sense -- at least two me.

Just got back from 6 nights on Freedom, my waist line doesn't miss those Midnight Buffets. With all the exercising I do on a sailing and just the walking including excursions.....to keep weight gain reasonable, I surely don't need the Midnight Buffet....I find plenty to eat without it.

I don't recall the OP asking for things you were glad that were gone. ;)

I miss the midnight buffet,

I saw this on my first 7 day Voyager cruise in 2006, but it was gone by Freedom in 2008. I'm glad I saw it, but if they have used the cost saving to keep the same quality in the dining room, I'd be happy, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

WE usually eat at Chops the 1st night and my time other nights there after. I always order the wild mushroom soup on the Chops menu. Magically the soup is served WITH an actual Soup Spoon. I usually order soup in the main dining room however WHERE have the soup spoons gone in the regular dining rooms, windjammer or Central Park Café ? A Simple soup spoon. How much can RCI be saving by not having a soup spoon to use for eating soup. they give me instead a large spoon in lieu of an actual soup spoon. Yes at home I do eat soup with an actual soup spoon. Or drink it out of a large coffee mug. I get a kick out of watching the servers changing out the silverware rather than having it already on the table But No Soup Spoons. Bah ! Humbug ! I miss a simple SOUP SPOON to eat my soup with. My servers at the main dining room ALWAYS remember me because I always now bring MY OWN soup spoon with me to enjoy my nightly soup . The wait staff never ask me where I obtained my soup spoon from, wink wink :)

I miss real formal nights where EVERYONE dressed ladies in their gowns and men in their tuxes AND the left them on throughout the evening. They didn't rush back to the cabin to change out of them.

Not just dressing for formal nights. I miss the general atmosphere which used to exist, rather than the way many appear today: too tight yoga pants displaying every thigh crease and butt crack, girls with multi-colored bra and camisole straps forming spectrums with their tank top straps, men wearing wife beaters, young men with their pants hanging around their butts showing off the brand names emblazoned on their underpant's waist bands.

We seem to be in the age of the traveling schlub.