Things long gone

Fishingdve

I miss the beautiful artwork on Matson's passenger ships' dinner menus. Stunning renderings of Matson's South Pacific ports of call.

I was lucky to be young enough to get my sea legs quickly because choppy waters :( were the rule between Long Beach and Honolulu And that was especially difficult for some because LB to H was five uninterrupted at sea!

Welcome to cruise critic, posting anyway.:D

Dinner chimes, 5-course meals, table-side preparations.

Booklet with the names of all passengers on the sailing.

Very little upselling, no specialty dining.

Still have 5 courses.

Appetizers

Soup

Salad

Entree

Dessert

Am I missing something

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Still have 5 courses.

Appetizers

Soup

Salad

Entree

Dessert

Am I missing something

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

On at least several lines I've been on, they group the first three categories together on the menu, thus encouraging diners to select only one option. I've read posts where people complain when they are seated with diners who insist on ordering all 5 courses....

On at least several lines I've been on, they group the first three categories together on the menu, thus encouraging diners to select only one option. I've read posts where people complain when they are seated with diners who insist on ordering all 5 courses....

I've noticed those posts as well. Still, enough people do order all five - or order seconds onf an entree -to provide whiners with their cue. As a practical matter, I ask for the salad to be delivered with the entree.

I've noticed those posts as well. Still, enough people do order all five - or order seconds onf an entree -to provide whiners with their cue. As a practical matter, I ask for the salad to be delivered with the entree.

We often eat at a two top, but I will have 5 or 6 courses to my wife's 3, the waiters ensure that they remove my dish and replace it with the next as soon as I am finished it, rather than wait until my wife has finished hers. That way the meal is more fluid and there is less waiting time.:D

Another positive for my time dining. I don't have to be seated with and wait for Iola Boylan while she chews each bite 32 times through 5 courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Newspapers" were still available at the front desk on our Prinsendam cruise this November. There were US, Canadian, UK, Dutch, Australian, and German editions. The US edition was "from the pages of the New York Times" and eight letter sized pages long. The appropriate newspaper used to be delivered to each cabin on Holland America, Royal Caribbean and other lines we cruised.

I remember when waiters presented a display tray of desserts, don't really miss it. I also don't miss smarmy headwaiters or tracking down staff on the last night to distribute tips.

Another positive for my time dining. I don't have to be seated with and wait for Iola Boylan while she chews each bite 32 times through 5 courses.

I do my time dining also, but I elect to eat with others most nights. Otherwise I would be dining by myself. (Which isn't really my preference...):cool: So thank goodness some people are still willing to share a table.

Bon Voyage parties when there were more visitors on the ship than passengers. Bands playing in the lounges, folks bringing food and beverage aboard and the 2 hrs prior to sailing were like New Years Eve. Then the bands out on the decks, streamers and confetti being tossed, the ship and the tugs signaling each other and the ship "backing out" of the dock. Frequently, in NYC anyway, we'd go down and board a ship just to check it out, even if we didn't know anyone who was sailing.

It's not stopping me. ;) I might even have two apps. :eek:

Of course, your reference to Iola Boylan chewing each bite 32 times confirms my thankfulness for my time dining - people who are only comfortable in a fast food environment and who need boob tube metaphors to express themselves do not make ideal dinner companions.

Bon Voyage parties when there were more visitors on the ship than passengers. Bands playing in the lounges, folks bringing food and beverage aboard and the 2 hrs prior to sailing were like New Years Eve. Then the bands out on the decks, streamers and confetti being tossed, the ship and the tugs signaling each other and the ship "backing out" of the dock. Frequently, in NYC anyway, we'd go down and board a ship just to check it out, even if we didn't know anyone who was sailing.

Yes, times have changed, some of these aspects were wonderful. The streamers are gone for environmental issues, visitors on board due to security, although most ships still have TA visitors on embarkation day for a look about and lunch.

Of course, your reference to Iola Boylan chewing each bite 32 times confirms my thankfulness for my time dining - people who are only comfortable in a fast food environment and who need boob tube metaphors to express themselves do not make ideal dinner companions.

Do you think you wax a tad judgmental?

pullen0: ignore some of the nasty comments some will make. Some of them still wish for classes on ships so that they will never have to mix with those in steerage ;-)

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the class status on the old ships - kept people with their own social status. Now, we all mix together for the major items onboard. Those in Neptune/Haven/Club/Aqua class have their own little upstatus perks still.

Edited by slidergirl

pullen0: ignore some of the nasty comments some will make. Some of them still wish for classes on ships so that they will never have to mix with those in steerage ;-)

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the class status on the old ships - kept people with their own social status. Now, we all mix together for the major items onboard. Those in Neptune/Haven/Club/Aqua class have their own little upstatus perks still.

The fact that he knew who Iola Boylan was means he's one of us. The upper crust wouldn't watch Mama's Family.

It is interesting and, in my mind, unfortunate, that the cruise industry - at least the mass market segment of it, is reverting to the old class structure which pertained in the old days. The all-inclusive concept seems increasingly limited to the higher end: Oceania, Seaborn et al - I suppose also including Azamera as well. The mass market, with their Neptune, Haven etc. spaces - and premium dining venues come close to replicating the old class system. It is something of a paradox: the democratization of cruising arsing from the efforts of lines to hold down fares and attract an ever wider market has led to an internal fragmentation of that market: the holding down of fares has unavoidably led to the cheapening of the included experience: space, service, and food quality have all been impacted.

This highlights what I miss; staffs before the big changes of 9/11 had fewer responsibilities leaving them more time (opportunities) to serve the passengers more personally.

Dinner was an "event" of elegance (even on non-formal nights ), it was not just a nightly cattle-call to ease hunger pains as it seems now. And it was not unusual to see three wait staff standing together looking for an opportunity to happily fill the water glass. After the 2nd night, the waiters knew your name and new your personal style of dinning pleasure. They acted to your needs even before you asked; as if they were reading your mind.

Room stewards had fewer cabins, so they had the time to be more attentive of your needs and made special arrangements (without your request) to make your cruise more enjoyable, if not special.

Of course their were more amenities in those days, but I mostly miss the staff of those days.

Burt