Why did Zaandam/Amsterdam NOT get Lanai cabins?

AtlantaCruiser72

Since we just booked the 2018 Grand Asia, I hope this means that the Piano Bar and the library will survive next year's drydock, pls., pls???

As far as I know, that will remain as is. She'll probably get the Crow's Nest changes

I just figured that it was because these ships go on some exotic voyages and the lanai cabins allow more places for pirates to breach. It seems like you'd have an easier time defending the big, wooden doors than you would trying to fortify dozens of balcony doors.

The more I think about it, the more I realize... Definitely pirates. ;)

I just figured that it was because these ships go on some exotic voyages and the lanai cabins allow more places for pirates to breach. It seems like you'd have an easier time defending the big, wooden doors than you would trying to fortify dozens of balcony doors.

The more I think about it, the more I realize... Definitely pirates. ;)

Aaaargh Matey, Pirates!

This sailor met a pirate in a bar, and the sailor couldn't help but notice that the pirate was pretty badly the worse for wear. He had a peg leg, a hook, and an eye patch.

So, the sailor asked the pirate how he got the peg leg, and the pirate answered, "Well matey, I got washed up overboard one night while we were in a fierce storm. and dern me if a shark didn't go and bite off me leg."

Then the sailor asked, "So, how'd you get the hook?" and the pirate answered, "Well, we was in a fierce fight while boarding a ship one time, and that's when I got me hand cut off."

Finally, the sailor asked, "So, how'd you get the eye patch?" and the pirate responded, "A seagull pooped in me eye."

"You mean to tell me you lost an eye just because a seagull pooped in it?"

"Well, it was the first day with me hook..."

I have been thinking about the R class and Explorations Central. I feel as if a complete design refresh of the Explorations Cafe/Library area on deck 5 is the more likely area for this venue. I think the Crows Nest may get updated furnishings/decor but otherwise remain largely unchanged in use/purpose. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems the more logical approach. If the Crows Nest were converted to Explorations Central it would make the existing Explorations Cafe/Library space on deck 5 redundant in purpose. Other than additional specialty dining, shopping or conference rooms (none of which the R class really need) I cannot see what other use they would find for that space.

I have been thinking about the R class and Explorations Central. I feel as if a complete design refresh of the Explorations Cafe/Library area on deck 5 is the more likely area for this venue. I think the Crows Nest may get updated furnishings/decor but otherwise remain largely unchanged in use/purpose. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems the more logical approach. If the Crows Nest were converted to Explorations Central it would make the existing Explorations Cafe/Library space on deck 5 redundant in purpose. Other than additional specialty dining, shopping or conference rooms (none of which the R class really need) I cannot see what other use they would find for that space.

How do you figure it would make the library redundant? This ship, after all, does the World Cruise and other long cruises. A library is very desirable to those cruisers. In any event, it appears from what Copper 10 and people who were on the 2017 World Cruise who inquired about the library, that it will stay.

How do you figure it would make the library redundant? This ship, after all, does the World Cruise and other long cruises. A library is very desirable to those cruisers. In any event, it appears from what Copper 10 and people who were on the 2017 World Cruise who inquired about the library, that it will stay.

The whole idea behind Explorations Central seems to be part library, part destination/excursion office/resource, part lounge/coffee bar, which is essentially what the Explorations cafe mostly has functioned as on the R class. On the Vista and Signature Class the move of the Explorations Cafe to the Crows Nest (except for Noordam) means that Explorations Central must go there - there is no other logical space. The R class are a bit different as most (except shore excursions desk) of the intended functions that Explorations Central is meant for are actually housed in the current Explorations Cafe space on deck 5, hence why I think the way I do. I may be totally off base, but moving the library, coffee bar, Internet center (which are all primary components of Explorations Central) to the Crows Nest on the R class would simply make the current Explorations Cafe/Library on deck 5 redundant.

Personally, I am so glad that they stopped the conversions to lanai cabins. Yes, I would love one, ... but too expensive. What I do like is that on both of these ships, the deck chairs on the lower promenade deck are not reserved for the people in the lanai cabins. This means I can sit where the ship's railing is open and I can watch the ocean. I so love doing that, but not sitting way up high... or not sitting in the sun.

So here is my vote to leave the Amsterdam and the Zaandam alone please.

I agree, love watching the ocean go buy.

[Another question - the Atrium Terrace seating area opposite of the Ocean Bar - is it still in existence on the Zaandam or was it replaced with a sell-ya-stuff store?

it's still there :-) (I just got off the Zaandam a couple of weeks ago)

Glad to know it's still there - always has seemed a lovely spot. Hopefully it will survive the next drydock unharmed :o

Thanks both. Not sure how we have managed not to sail on the Amsterdam yet. I guess other itineraries "grabbed us". I will have to keep my eye out on her itineraries in the future ;).

As much as you cruise I am surprised as well. Our first experience was on the 2017 WC we enjoyed her. Only irritation is the deck 4 dead end (just like Rotterdam ). One would think after 100 days on board this would not get you but it would us on occasion.

As much as you cruise I am surprised as well. Our first experience was on the 2017 WC we enjoyed her. Only irritation is the deck 4 dead end (just like Rotterdam ). One would think after 100 days on board this would not get you but it would us on occasion.

We don't really cruise that much Kirk - usually once a year (although we broke that rule a couple of times and did it twice - but they were shorter cruises), so usually one ship a year on average.

We like longer itineraries right now (although DH may change that after next year - we'll see ;) ) so while we go away for quite a while, it's usually only one ship at a time. Nothing compared to your WC of course - but, long enough for us to get into "cruise mode" and really enjoy the ship and ports ;)

Itinerary comes first and then the ship. Prinsendam seems to have a lot of itineraries that call to us and she is still my favourite ship. Rotterdam and her crew have taken second spot with Westerdam close behind. ;)

We are definitely sticking with the smaller ships while they sail (assuming we have no major issues) while we can.

The whole idea behind Explorations Central seems to be part library, part destination/excursion office/resource, part lounge/coffee bar, which is essentially what the Explorations cafe mostly has functioned as on the R class. On the Vista and Signature Class the move of the Explorations Cafe to the Crows Nest (except for Noordam) means that Explorations Central must go there - there is no other logical space. The R class are a bit different as most (except shore excursions desk) of the intended functions that Explorations Central is meant for are actually housed in the current Explorations Cafe space on deck 5, hence why I think the way I do. I may be totally off base, but moving the library, coffee bar, Internet center (which are all primary components of Explorations Central) to the Crows Nest on the R class would simply make the current Explorations Cafe/Library on deck 5 redundant.

I hope you are VERY wrong. No disrespect intended.

The Rotterdam has one of the nicest libraries and library area IMO (next to the Prinsendam) in the fleet. I am guessing the other R class ships are the same.

They were a number of new HAL cruisers on our Rotterdam cruise in April and I couldn't help but overhear their comments. They were amazed, in love and blown away.

Many of them booked future cruises on board and talking to them later on the cruise, one of the reasons was that lovely space.

Let's hope HAL realizes what they have in these little gems and doesn't muck it up.

Now I understand what you are saying. However, leaving the library where it presently is, on Deck 5 and moving just the Exc and Cafe to the Crows Nest is what I believe is intended. The library portion of the Crows Nest on the refitted ships is meaningless because it is too small and not well stocked. I have heard, however, that this may change because of all the complaints.

If in fact the EXC features are put into Rotterdam's Crows Nest rather the library, how would that impact use of the room for BB King?

I do not see HAL removing this entertainment concept from the ship.

Does it presently have BB King and, if so, where is it?

Does it presently have BB King and, if so, where is it?

Rotterdam is currently the only non-Vista, non-Signature and non-Pinnacle-class ship that has the BB King All-Star Band. They perform in her Crow's Nest

Rotterdam is currently the only non-Vista, non-Signature and non-Pinnacle-class ship that has the BB King All-Star Band. They perform in her Crow's Nest

I really liked the concept of them performing in the Crow's Nest and, from the way it was packed I would say a lot of people did on our cruise ;)

I really liked the concept of them performing in the Crow's Nest and, from the way it was packed I would say a lot of people did on our cruise ;)

Part of me hopes that due to the success of BB Kings on the Rotterdam that they are considering this for the other R class ships, if not year round at least seasonally in Alaska :cool:

Part of me hopes that due to the success of BB Kings on the Rotterdam that they are considering this for the other R class ships, if not year round at least seasonally in Alaska :cool:

My suggestion: Can the EXC and bring in the BB Kings to the Crows Nest. Well . . . one can hope.

Although we've bitten the bullet and booked on a ship with Lanai cabins (because of itinerary we booked a balcony on one) it isn't likely we will again. It's my impression that balcony cabins on the ships with lanais are considerably more costly than they are on the Vista class ships ... and since, due DH's mobility issues we use a balcony more than most folks do we find a "private balcony" a necessity.

Although we've bitten the bullet and booked on a ship with Lanai cabins (because of itinerary we booked a balcony on one) it isn't likely we will again. It's my impression that balcony cabins on the ships with lanais are considerably more costly than they are on the Vista class ships ... and since, due DH's mobility issues we use a balcony more than most folks do we find a "private balcony" a necessity.

The balcony cabins on the S and R class, with or without lanais, are more expensive because they carry fewer passengers; thus less profits. But - and a big but - the balcony cabins on the S and R are significantly larger, as are their balconies. For example, there is a full length sleeper-sofa in them; loveseats in the Vista; chaise lounges on the balconies; two chairs and a small table on the Vistas. I don't think I want to take a long voyage in either the Vista or Signature balcony cabins. Thank goodness the World and Asia Grand Voyages are being done on the Amsterdam.

• 3 weeks later...

So the Zaandam Lanai Cabin "plot" thickens - Holland has now published deck plans for the Zaandam for sailings after 3/29/18 that show "CA" Lanai cabins on Deck 3, however, I checked MULTIPLE cruises available and none of them are showing those rooms for sale as CA category. You can however book them as Category D rooms as they currently are coded as ...... even the post drydock deck plans don't list the CA category in the description of rooms for each deck, even though the room lettering and #ing shown on the deck plans indicated them as being CA. So either A) they used the wrong deck image for the Zaandam, or B) Revenue management has not gotten around to encoding those rooms to CA for the Zaandam .....

here is a link to the PDF of the Deckplan: https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/deckplans/za_2.pdf

So the Zaandam Lanai Cabin "plot" thickens - Holland has now published deck plans for the Zaandam for sailings after 3/29/18 that show "CA" Lanai cabins on Deck 3, however, I checked MULTIPLE cruises available and none of them are showing those rooms for sale as CA category. You can however book them as Category D rooms as they currently are coded as ...... even the post drydock deck plans don't list the CA category in the description of rooms for each deck, even though the room lettering and #ing shown on the deck plans indicated them as being CA. So either A) they used the wrong deck image for the Zaandam, or B) Revenue management has not gotten around to encoding those rooms to CA for the Zaandam .....

here is a link to the PDF of the Deckplan: https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/deckplans/za_2.pdf

I booked a Lanai on the Amsterdam yesterday, even though they do not yet show as CAs on the booking website. However, if one plugs the cabin number of a future Lanai into the booking, the Lanai price will come up.