Taking food back to your room

mspinky36

I ALWAYS bring back food to my cabin and place it in the refrigerator, I also bring zip lock baggies to put the food in. No need to bring tupperware that takes up space in luggage.

Some of you think its tacky but it certainly isn't because Carnival doesn't offer any food past 11pm except for pizza and we are up till 2am and like a snack to eat other than that not so good pizza. I would bring back cheese and other goodies to have late at night. I don't want to sit in my cabin waiting for room service so it is much easier for me to bring some food back to the cabin for later on. When I cruise on Royal Caribbean I never have to bring back any food because there are always so many choices of food to choose from at the Cafe that is open 24 hours.

Never ever seen any signs that "forbid" someone from taking food from the service area, whether it be dining room, buffet, or any other venue. A cruise is often advertised as a "foodie" experience and where you "consume" it is of no interested to the cruise line.

Haul all the food you want from the service area. Just try and be careful when carting it around from area A to area B. If you really like to load up on cookies and fruit bring along some zip lock bags. Like to cart around beverages, invest in a tumbler with a lid or grab some packaged beverages.

Most of the other passengers won't bat an eye. It's only here on cruise critic where people tend to judge. Enjoy your cruise and eat where and when you want.

And, I agree. Check with your steward where "dirty dishes" are meant to be left.

We typically eat in the MDR every night and there have been many times that our son has not finished his meal and asked our server if he could take it to go. Being a kid, sometimes he wants to eat and sometimes he doesn't finish it all. The server brings a cover for the plate. Has not been a big deal.

I have read several people talking about taking food back to their room from the buffet. Is it normal for people to do that? Are you able to get a cover from the staff or do you need to get creative on your own?

Not only have we taken food from the buffet to enjoy on our balcony, we've taken food up to Serenity to enjoy while sunning, we've taken food to whatever venue is hosting a trivia game, we've taken food to the main show lounge, etc. I put what I want on my plate, cover it with another plate, and go where I want to go.

Enjoy.

Wonder if someone has anything showing leaving your dirty dishes, uneaten food/scraps on the floor outside their door is official policy. I think that's pretty sloven. I don't want to see/smell your trash in the hallway.

I have read several people talking about taking food back to their room from the buffet. Is it normal for people to do that? Are you able to get a cover from the staff or do you need to get creative on your own?

Speaking specifically from the buffet perspective you asked about: Carnival did away with trays at the buffet a few years ago; however, using the big plates they offer these days, place your buffet food on that big plate, and then place a second big plate over top of your food and take it to your cabin! Easy peasey and serves the purpose. Carnival is woefully lacking in hot food from room service.

Condensed version:

Take what you will eat to where you want to eat it.

Covers not given but can be improvised if needed.

Room service is available but may not be what you want.

No one will judge you other than those that have nothing better to do.

Limited storage is available in the little refrigerators. (assuming you have one)

Maybe you just feel like eating in your room.....plan accordingly.

Have a great time! :p

Never ever seen any signs that "forbid" someone from taking food from the service area, whether it be dining room, buffet, or any other venue. A cruise is often advertised as a "foodie" experience and where you "consume" it is of no interested to the cruise line.

Haul all the food you want from the service area. Just try and be careful when carting it around from area A to area B. If you really like to load up on cookies and fruit bring along some zip lock bags. Like to cart around beverages, invest in a tumbler with a lid or grab some packaged beverages.

Most of the other passengers won't bat an eye. It's only here on cruise critic where people tend to judge. Enjoy your cruise and eat where and when you want.

And, I agree. Check with your steward where "dirty dishes" are meant to be left.

There are signs posted outside some dining room on board that say food is not to be removed..thinking I saw it on Glory or Conquest

Get creative and cover it with another plate.

We keep the tray from our room service and use that to bring back breakfast back to the room.

We got this tip from a fellow cruiser a few years ago. We keep the tray in our closet (for repeated use) until the end of the cruise. In regards to placing dirty dishes in the hallway, although many seem to object, it is what Carnival prefers for you to do. Talk to anyone from room service, or your cabin steward, and you will be asked to leave your dishes outside of your door. If necessary, you can always call room service to let them know you've placed your dishes out in the hallway and ask to have them picked up as soon as possible.

I'm always surprised how passionate people are about food on this forum. Topics range from:

• Can I bring Pringles?
  • What other food is available other than pizza late at night?
  • Can I do YTD AND Early/Late dining?
  • Why no trays at the buffet?
  • Can I take food off the ship?
  • Why no hot items from Room Service?
  • Can I bring food from home?
  • Why isn't Guys Burger open more?
  • Would you like to see some pictures of food I ate?

Just an observation...See you on Lido deck (I'll be eating a piece of pizza....)!

I'm another one who takes my dishes back up to Lido (unless it's from room service). It's not like I have to make a special trip - I'm usually headed back that way. Of course, I don't bring food back all that often and I tend to do it more often when I'm in a Lido cabin as it's so convenient.

Maybe after reading these posts, I'll just leave the dishes in the hallway, but I doubt it. I just feel like if I bring something from Lido, I should be willing to take it back to Lido, but that's just me. I just hate seeing all the dishes in the hallway near my cabin, so I don't add to it. But, I don't fault people who do.

Count us in as another set of food-bringer-backers. A lot of times, late at night, DH or I will want something from the deli or whatever so one of us will go up, get it and bring it back along with a cup or two of ice for our drinks that we keep in the room.

And I didn't know you were supposed to leave trays, etc in the hallway. As someone who works in food service, that just seems really gross/unsanitary to me since the carpets don't get cleaned except maybe once a week (I think. Correct me if I'm wrong).

People get a tad ridiculous about trays in the hallway. How is it affecting the carpet? Are people dumping their food directly on the floor? No. Putting a tray on the floor doesn't dirty the carpet.

John Heald has said himself that they request trays to be left in the hallways for easy pickup. If you leave them in the room than the stewards have to take them and they don't have anywhere to put stacks of dirty dishes or they have to call someone to get them, taking time away from their own duties.

Wonder if someone has anything showing leaving your dirty dishes, uneaten food/scraps on the floor outside their door is official policy. I think that's pretty sloven. I don't want to see/smell your trash in the hallway.

Heald has said several times on his Facebook that carnival requests they be left in the hallway.

I enjoy bringing DW breakfast in bed once or twice during the cruise and she loves the omelets. I have seen people using a second plate to cover their food. The plates on Fascination were gianormous so there was no need for a tray.

Wait? ... Am I the only person that takes his dirty dishes back up to the buffet area? :eek: Seriously? People don't clean up after themselves? They wait for someone else to do it? My Mother raised me better than that. :confused:

It is a vacation environment where guests eating inside of their cabins is expected and commonplace. The practice is so common the ships staff will actually bring you the food there if you choose with an entire phone ordering process. With that being said they also have a process to collect those dirty dishes.

So....no....I don't transport my dirty dishes across the ship no more than I wash my own beer mugs or launder my towels.

Edited by ray98