Tuscan Steak--Shrimp Cocktail Sauce?

Debbers

One of the top things we have loved on Oceania is their shrimp cocktail. It's something I would never bother with ashore, but O's shrimp were delicious and their sauce superb.

The Tuscan Steak menu shows that shrimp cocktail is served with amatriciana--which is a very nice pasta sauce, but not the horseradish-rich sauce we have craved between cruises. Can we ask for cocktail sauce to be served instead?

OP: If you can't get the O recipe try this:

Specific ratios are based on your individual taste.

Heinz chili sauce

Prepared hot horseradish (not creamy)

Fresh lemon juice

Fine with shrimp and even better with Dungeness crab.

I was a cater-waiter in Manhattan while I was in college, and trust me even at the Four Seasons or the Ritz, Cocktail sauce is catsup mixed with an equal amount of horse radish, lemon juice is optional, and tobasco adds the heat if one is serving an adventurous group.

Screaa2.png

Anything else is Heinz propaganda

Fine with shrimp and even better with Dungeness crab.

I love my Dungeness with Beano's Horse Radish sauce (white) - available at Safeway (and other stores) and yummy with crab (I am not a tomato fan - this is perfect substitute for me).

Try it - you'll like it :D

When we were on Sirena in October I ordered the shrimp cocktail from Tuscan Steak to be served in our room and I was extremely disappointed to receive that "new" sauce.

But a couple of nights later DH had dinner in the restaurant, ordered the shrimp cocktail, and received the one we always remembered ...

(The one I had in the rom was three large shrimp on a flat plate with a little bitty amount of sauce. Howard in the restaurant got the version we'd always had in Polo in the past.)

Wish I'd known to specify the cocktail sauce that first night!

Mura

The Tuscan Steak menu shows that shrimp cocktail is served amatriciana--

The translation from Italian indicates that it is ANGRY or a bit spicy. The term is used the way we use "hot" indicating that it is with extra hot spices. That is what I would figure it means. Then again we always steal Italian descriptors and put them on dishes that don't exist in Italy.

The translation from Italian indicates that it is ANGRY or a bit spicy. The term is used the way we use "hot" indicating that it is with extra hot spices. That is what I would figure it means. Then again we always steal Italian descriptors and put them on dishes that don't exist in Italy.

If you had said "diavolo" I would have agreed with you about the word "hot/spicy". However, "Amatriciana" refers to the sauce invented in Amatrice, Italy. It happens to include some chiles, but the word "amatriciana" itself doesn't mean hot, especially since the version served in Amatrice tends to include far fewer chiles than versions served in the US.

Amatrice, Italy was sadly in the news recently because it was one of the cities hardest hit by the August earthquakes in Italy. I've included a link to an article from NPR describing the fund raising drive that has sprung up with restaurants donating money for each dish of Pasta all' Amatriciana ordered.

I certainly agree with you about people using random foreign words.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/25/491370926/food-world-rallies-for-quake-hit-amatrice-home-of-famous-pasta-dish

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Oops I stand corrected. I have confused Arrabbiata with Amatriciana so sorry. My Italian vocabulary is not that good. I should have looked it up. How does one undo the error? I should have engaged brain before putting mouth in gear.

No biggie!

Does someone have a menu from the Tuscan Steak restaurant? Now, I'm curious to learn if the menu actually calls the sauce "Arrabbiata" or as written in post #1 "Amatriciana".

The recipe for Amatriciana calls for tomatoes, pancetta (or guanciale), garlic, chile flakes, and basil. I'm thinking about a cold version of this and it really doesn't seem appealing, especially with shrimp. Arrabbiata at least sounds acceptable when served as a cold sauce, but Classic Cocktail sauce sounds even better.

No biggie!

Does someone have a menu from the Tuscan Steak restaurant? Now, I'm curious to learn if the menu actually calls the sauce "Arrabbiata" or as written in post #1 "Amatriciana".

The recipe for Amatriciana calls for tomatoes, pancetta (or guanciale), garlic, chile flakes, and basil. I'm thinking about a cold version of this and it really doesn't seem appealing, especially with shrimp. Arrabbiata at least sounds acceptable when served as a cold sauce, but Classic Cocktail sauce sounds even better.

Some of us on the Jersey shore eat lots of seafood. Many restaurants that serve boiled shrimp, raw oysters and clams on half shell, make the traditional ketchup and horseradish sauce but hit with lots of Tobasco sauce make it exceptionally good. Some folks might like it and some don't. You can name it whatever you like. We find it better than the Classic Cocktail sauce due to the additional flavors and spice.

No biggie!

"A P P E T I Z E R S

Shrimp Cocktail

amatriciana sauce"

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/61698/Tuscan-Steak-Dinner.pdf

A bit off topic. Our favorite dish in Toscana for the last 8 years is ( Lobster FRA Diablo over Linguini ). We will be on the Sirena in a few weeks, is this dish served in the Tuscan steakhouse?

Edited by Acrusa

"A P P E T I Z E R S

Shrimp Cocktail

amatriciana sauce"

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/61698/Tuscan-Steak-Dinner.pdf

Yikes!

Since you're the only poster who has actually seen or tasted Tuscan Steak's version of Amatriciana, did the sauce actually appear to use the recipe ingredients: tomatoes, pancetta, garlic, chile flakes, and fresh basil leaves?

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Some of us on the Jersey shore eat lots of seafood. Many restaurants that serve boiled shrimp, raw oysters and clams on half shell, make the traditional ketchup and horseradish sauce but hit with lots of Tobasco sauce make it exceptionally good. Some folks might like it and some don't. You can name it whatever you like. We find it better than the Classic Cocktail sauce due to the additional flavors and spice.

You and I really aren't disagreeing. Tabasco and lots of it is part of the classic version as far as I'm concerned. I'll even go so far as to accept a splash of Worcestershire as classic. And I couldn't care less over the ketchup VS cocktail sauce divide, although obviously you do. Within a rather short list of ingredients, there's general agreement of the classic although the exact quantities of each varies tremendously from chef to chef. However, if I start seeing large dice of sauteed pancetta and torn up fresh basil leaves in my "dipping sauce for shrimp" I draw the line. And if I'm not seeing large dice of sauteed pancetta and torn up fresh basil leaves, then don't call it "Amatriciana"! Words have meaning.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I was a cater-waiter in Manhattan while I was in college, and trust me even at the Four Seasons or the Ritz, Cocktail sauce is catsup mixed with an equal amount of horse radish, lemon juice is optional, and tobasco adds the heat if one is serving an adventurous group.

Screaa2.png

Anything else is Heinz propaganda

Not caring much for Tabasco sauce, I add some cayenne instead and it's great.

A bit off topic. Our favorite dish in Toscana for the last 8 years is ( Lobster FRA Diablo over Linguini ). We will be on the Sirena in a few weeks, is this dish served in the Tuscan steakhouse?

According to the menu posted above in post #13 - yes.

We will be there in a couple of days - will check that and the shrimp "cocktail" sauce.

BTW, as I do not care for tomatoes, I have asked for and been accommodated having the Lobster Fra Diavolo with garlic butter instead of tomatoes - delicious.

Edited by Paulchili

Does that then mean that Oceania will then donate 1 Euro for every appetizer ordered? As mentioned in an earlier (#9) posting?

I GUESS we don't know if that is the case. Does anyone really know if they will make the donation?

As far as recipes go you also can add Sriracha Hot Chili sauce or whatever you use to kick it up, if it isn't hot enough for you.