Airfare is forcing us to cancel 😢

momperson2

You are going to cancel your vacation because you can't endure an hour or two of hardship? Maybe take a nap the next day. Or maybe you didn't want to go that bad in the first place?

I too am stuck to the school calendar. I am taking a red eye on Spirit the morning before departure. Only way I could make it work, other airlines were 2-3x more.

First I want to thank everyone for their airfare suggestions--- and I have look into a lot of them. Finding one that works for us is where we run into problems. Yes, there are some airfares less money, but arriving back into Detroit late at night (after 10/11 pm--arriving home after midnight) isn't good-- having to get up at 5 am for work. IF it was a Sat to Sat flight no problem. I think Southwest has a great price going there, home flight too late.

Also, we have look at Toledo, Flint, Lansing--- Windsor, Canada---(not sure dealing with Canadian customs-- once in airport then again coming across bridge to Detroit)

Problem is that this first week in April is now statewide spring break (used to be staggered)

We will continue to look, and probably cancel before final payment. We are also looking into a land base trip this summer--- or booking a Saturday to Saturday cruise in 2018.

I was hoping to let people know, if we cancel our cabin will be available (large balcony on hump). It just annoying that this week airlines can triple price (and get it). I guess when we retire in a few years, we can cruise when we want too--

I'm sorry that you feel like you have to cancel over this. Yes, absolutely, if you are stuck traveling during school breaks and want to leave mid morning and get home afternoon/early evening, you will have to pay a premium. I have sympathy for that as we use CVG which also has crazy high airfare. Idk, between taking 6 hour red eye flights to Europe where we stay up the whole next day and having a job where I have crazy schedule that constantly flips me around between working during the day and at night; I'm not seeing the need to cancel your vacation that it sounds like you were really excited about because the only affordable flight gets in late. To each their own, but I have a feeling that as unappealing as that flight sounds on a Sunday night, that after you get your short sleep night, drink a couple extra coffees Monday and go to bed early; by Tues you will think that the fun you had and relaxation of the trip was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mom2 - we are in the same boat but I would never cancel the cruise. It's just part of going Sunday to Sunday. Our flight leaves FLL at 11:30am but we don't get back to NS until midnight and then we still have to drive home. We won't be brown eyed and bushy tailed Monday morning at work but we will have enjoyed the cruise..:D:D:D

Late flights suck but canceling cruises sucks worse! I would not personally even consider canceling over having to fly in after midnight before a 5am work start time. On our last cruise through the Panama Canal, our daughter had a dance competition on Sunday afternoon, so we could not leave early. We booked an 11pm flight out of LAX that got into FLL at 5:30am. We then hung out at an airport cafe and baggage claim for a couple hours, then took our shuttle to the cruise terminal and hung out for a couple more before getting on the ship.

At least to me your dilemma sounds inconvenient but certainly not insurmountable. Of course, we all have our own tolerance for "adventure"! :D

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jim

I live further north with only one flight a day. One out and one in.and have to go through Detroit in order to go anywhere. The price for my airfare is always high but not that high, unless I go first class or business class. Maybe you should check the airfare again and make sure it's tourist or steerage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ya, I'm not getting this decision either. 4 hours or so of sleep is not bad to live through for a day. Maybe OP has a critical job like being a surgeon or some other discipline that requires a well rested body that is not jacked up on caffeine. I'm being serious, not sarcastic. It could be. Other than that, I wouldn't give up a cruise in a prime cabin because of less sleep for a night.

Another option might be to drive to Chicago - For your dates I see you can get $350 per person.

Out of Cleveland you can get as low as $291 person.

If you use Google Flights you can it will show you the trend in flights and send alerts when they drop.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Piling onto the OP a little bit, aren't we?

We're booked on the same cruise and have had the same problems finding airfare. Same situation for us as we can't take a late flight home. We have to get home early evening because of our children and I'm assuming the poster is taking her children as well. If it were just the 2 of us, we can take a nap later, get by on 4 hours of sleep, etc. But that following week is standardized testing for our kids and we won't knowingly put them in a situation where they walk into testing with a disadvantage.

Spring break is just bad. Not Christmas bad, but close. And waiting doesn't help it. We waited one year out of San Juan and ended up spending more on the airfare than we did on the cruise.

We ended up booking in and out of Palm Beach airport. It's still more than what we want to pay, but Google Flights made it easy to catch a $30pp dip in the price which made it more tolerable. Google Flights also lets you choose other airports in the region. It's the best I've found for finding creative alternatives. It includes some obscure regional airlines as well, like Allegiant or Spirit.

Piling onto the OP a little bit, aren't we?

We're booked on the same cruise and have had the same problems finding airfare. Same situation for us as we can't take a late flight home. We have to get home early evening because of our children and I'm assuming the poster is taking her children as well. If it were just the 2 of us, we can take a nap later, get by on 4 hours of sleep, etc. .

Well, think it's because she keeps mentioning how much airfare is for 2. So, yes, could be mom and child but a couples trip is more likely.

And her first post is that she's restricted to school holidays because she works for the schools, so, could be a number of jobs, but probably not surgeon.

I think OP is getting this response because this is the second thread she started with the exact same title and content. She never responded to the first one. The second she came back with, yes, you're right, I can get better airfare but I don't want to get home late. If her original post was that airfare was crazy and was looking for suggestions, she got them, now she's not getting a lot of sympathy due to her pickiness turning into she 'forced' to cancel. The reality is that this was an affordable and convenient trip that has turned unaffordable and inconvenient due to airfare so she no longer wants to take it.

Edited by sanger727

The OP said her piece, made her feelings known. A lot of nice people here have done some research for her, made suggestions so let it be folks. When we really want to go, we find the way, says the man whose flight was delayed for 8 hours returning from SJU, landed at 6am and was back on the road by 10am to drive 55 miles to a job......

Well, think it's because she keeps mentioning how much airfare is for 2. So, yes, could be mom and child but a couples trip is more likely.

And her first post is that she's restricted to school holidays because she works for the schools, so, could be a number of jobs, but probably not surgeon.

I think OP is getting this response because this is the second thread she started with the exact same title and content. She never responded to the first one. The second she came back with, yes, you're right, I can get better airfare but I don't want to get home late. If her original post was that airfare was crazy and was looking for suggestions, she got them, now she's not getting a lot of sympathy due to her pickiness turning into she 'forced' to cancel. The reality is that this was an affordable and convenient trip that has turned unaffordable and inconvenient due to airfare so she no longer wants to take it.

The trip is to celebrate their 34th wedding anniversary. I don't think children are involved.

Looks like Sanger does not fly much or a good price in a few hours into evening would not be much of an inconvenience .Last month coming back from TA on Celebrity with my BF who was truly scared of the Zika thing, refused to stay overnight to get a flite on UA to Aspen So I found a Delta to Denver at 10Am.Took a cab at 7:15 AM to MIA,2nd flight , ,light rail to to Denvers Union Station, 2hr layover for new Bustang bus to Glenwood Springs,then local RFTA bus up the hill to Aspen. Got in around 11PM. Wanna hear about my 30 hour UA to Shanghai last year when Aspen was fogged in?

Looks like Sanger does not fly much or a good price in a few hours into evening would not be much of an inconvenience .Last month coming back from TA on Celebrity with my BF who was truly scared of the Zika thing, refused to stay overnight to get a flite on UA to Aspen So I found a Delta to Denver at 10Am.Took a cab at 7:15 AM to MIA,2nd flight , ,light rail to to Denvers Union Station, 2hr layover for new Bustang bus to Glenwood Springs,then local RFTA bus up the hill to Aspen. Got in around 11PM. Wanna hear about my 30 hour UA to Shanghai last year when Aspen was fogged in?

Why are you slamming me? I'm not the OP. I voiced the opinion that she should go with the late flight. My last flight was a 48 hour journey back from Tanzania with 5 legs where I landed less than 10 hours before I had to go in to a ceremony at work and make a speech!

Edited by sanger727

That is only true for domestic flights.....for europe it is nearly a year...asia 6 months out

You may be looking at airfare a little too early. 90 days or less prior to departure will usually get you better airfares. Where are you flying to? Keep looking and you'll find something so you don't have to cancel.

Did you try choice air?.....usually the best prices

\

We book a cruise over a year ago on the Silhouette leaving April 2. Got a decent price, great cabin 9th deck, on the bump, drink package and $650 in OBC. I work for the schools and this is our spring break--statewide we all have the same week off. Airfares are crazy---for 2 people flying out of Detroit cost is $1,800!!! IF we could take the exact same me flight:mad: a week later cost is $775 for 2 people. I can NOT take the day off before or after break. - I have been looking at airfare since June, even then it was over a $1,200 for 2 of us. Very disappointed--- not at Celebrity-- but airlines

Not sure when your traveling but did you look at Southwest? My cousin bought tickets from SAN to SJU on Southwest for mid march and paid $760 round trip. Just looked up mid March (just as a reference) to EWR and it was $580 round trip

Please see that I posted our air cost as $347 round trip LAX to San Juan on American. So cheap...and nonstop from LAX to London round trip $498 round trip on Air New Zealand...super affordable.

Please see that I posted our air cost as $347 round trip LAX to San Juan on American. So cheap...and nonstop from LAX to London round trip $498 round trip on Air New Zealand...super affordable.

That is one advantage of living in/near a city with a major airport--good airfares. We live near Lincoln, NE. Omaha is also an option but both are smaller airports. The airlines have us over a barrel and know it. Even if we drive 3.5 hours to KC, we might save $50--hardly worth the extra 2-3 hours each way in the car. And we have almost no direct flights except to hub cities.

Still, it is worth the hassle when there is a ship at the other end of the flight.

Not sure why you're quoting my post, I'm not in the SD area. I have information about my cousins flight out of SD which was already much cheaper than they had posted. Agreed LAX is cheaper but you also have to take into consideration shuttle to the airport cost or parking at the airport or for us we are either renting a car and driving to SFO (3hrs) or paying $39 to fly southwest to sfo for our flight to Barcelona otherwise if we fly from here it's a $2000 flight if we fly from SFO it's $325.

Great thread! I'm a frequent user of the Detroit airport even though I'm about same distance away from Toronto's YYZ. Many Canadians are using Detroit because the airport tax in and out of our airports is often more than the cost of a ticket to a similar US destination.

In 2016 we flew to Ft.Myers in February for $66 each way and to FLL for just $34 ( one checked bag between us at $30 ) while similar flights from Toronto were over $500 CDN

Now I'm waiting to book February and April trips from DTW to Florida and see one way fares at $212 and the late evening flights at $168 !!!

Usually the Spring Breaks are done by first week of April, though Easter is April 14-16 in 2017 which might account for the higher fares. Still, I'm going to wait until 4 weeks out for both bokings!

We book a cruise over a year ago on the Silhouette leaving April 2. Got a decent price, great cabin 9th deck, on the bump, drink package and $650 in OBC. I work for the schools and this is our spring break--statewide we all have the same week off. Airfares are crazy---for 2 people flying out of Detroit cost is $1,800!!! IF we could take the exact same me flight:mad: a week later cost is $775 for 2 people. I can NOT take the day off before or after break. - I have been looking at airfare since June, even then it was over a $1,200 for 2 of us. Very disappointed--- not at Celebrity-- but airlines

I hope you haven't canceled yet. I strongly recommend checking flights.google.com - You can search multiple airports at the same time. Using Detroit and Cleveland as starting points and Ft. Lauderdale and Miami as destinations I found 2 round trip tickets for $728 on American Airlines, CLE > FLL. It does have two lay overs. Or $912 direct CLE - FLL. If you can amke the 2.5 hour drive to Cleveland it seems much cheaper. Did you try searching other airports? I'm even seeing $1032 from Detriot.