'Twas the Week Before Christmas - Live from the Eurodam

POA1

Since I try to have a Guinness every evening at 5:00, I may have to try the Irish Car Bomb...

I found some notes from long ago and the Bailey's & Kahlua was called an Explorer's Coffee... I will certainly have a few and am curious to see if we get the new logo.

Thanks for your research...

Make sure the barkeep makes it proper:

1/2 pint Guinness, left to fully settle, in a full pint glass

Shot glass with 1/2oz Baileys with 1/2oz Jamison's on top

Drop the shot glass in the pint glass and drink FAST!

There is an alternate version, sometimes called a Belfast Car Bomb that includes Kahlua. In that version you layer 1/4oz Baileys 1/4oz Kahlua and 1/2oz Jamison's in the shot glass before dropping in the 1/2 of Guinness.

A "Baby Guiness" is a shot with a ratio of 2/3 Kahlua to 1/3 Baileys and they are quite tasty :D. Simple to make, you simply float the Baileys on the Kahlua. As you referenced I have seen it called by other names on bar lists.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

While I love a free drink when offered I'm not big on champagne. Would the steward in the Cabana's substitute a glass of wine? Failing that how bad is the champagne? First world problems I know!

Just checked. Sparkling wine only. They'll get you anything you want from the bar, but only the bubbly is included with the cabanas. Some people are having mimosas instead. They're using fresh OJ. We're not huge fans of mixing orange juice and Champagne. Orange juice and vodka occasionally, but no wine and juice for us. (Also applies to sangria.)

Thanks POA1 for the update on the caviar.

When we order the caviar, we ask them to make extra blinis for us. Do agree that they are tiny and could be made a little larger.

You are wise. :)

It was by far my favorite show I've seen on a ship.

Full disclose: I'm a huge arctic, polar bear and penguin fan

Thanks. It's a late port night, so the MDR might be lighter than normal. If we skip the soup / salad course, we can probably make the show. Might impact the post dinner cordial research, but sometimes plans have to be changed.

Make sure the barkeep makes it proper:

1/2 pint Guinness, left to fully settle, in a full pint glass

Shot glass with 1/2oz Baileys with 1/2oz Jamison's on top

Drop the shot glass in the pint glass and drink FAST!

There is an alternate version, sometimes called a Belfast Car Bomb that includes Kahlua. In that version you layer 1/4oz Baileys 1/4oz Kahlua and 1/2oz Jamison's in the shot glass before dropping in the 1/2 of Guinness.

A "Baby Guiness" is a shot with a ratio of 2/3 Kahlua to 1/3 Baileys and they are quite tasty :D. Simple to make, you simply float the Baileys on the Kahlua. As you referenced I have seen it called by other names on bar lists.

Thanks, it's been a while since I actually had a car bomb....

We're trying Billboard Onboard, the piano bar before dinner. This set is country. We're counting on my father in law for feedback because he's a big piano bar fan. Feedback to follow.

e2ed0901ffa1225ee492430700c4113a.jpg

fd883316443e4e18dd441c0beab8a6d6.jpg

And the requisite Poohby Joe photo. In case you are wondering, his sparkly blue tie matches Huskerchick's sparkly blue top tonight. (We're lovely people, but we're just not right.)

3ef9a68e5366c8e42a7b533e138d9718.jpg

Edited by POA1

DW and I thought that the pianists were very good, especially when they work from a set list. DFIL is on the fence, but might prefer the old piano bar. I like the open floor plan. It's definitely not as warm. The performers, Gabriel and Ingrid are good. They clicked and had good chemistry.

Map-1221-StThomas.jpg

Our go-to excursion in St. Thomas is snorkeling. We usually charter a 6 pack sailboat to take us out for a half day. A 6 pack charter is so named because it can carry six or fewer passengers. This allows us to seek out less crowded coves for snorkeling and gives us a lot more control over our day. My father in law recently had eye surgery and he can't risk getting sea water in his eyes, so snorkeling isn't in the cards this trip.

As an alternative, we are going to try a HAL excursion to St. John. The official name of the excursion is "St. John: National Park Island." It's a boat ride to St. John and a panoramic drive throughout the island. Ooooh! There's also a chance to shop. (How exciting!) The excursion sells for $69.95. This will be the first ship's excursion we've done since 2005. We're more of an "on your own" type of people. I'll let you know how this works out.

Tonight we're having dinner in the Pinnacle Grill. It's De Librije night featuring a menu from the chef Jonny Boer of the famous 3 Michelin Starred restaurant in Zwolle, Netherlands. The Dutch pronunciation is də lɪˈbrɛi̯ə - which is no help whatsoever to me. The closest I can come to writing it in unaccented English is duh Lee-bry-yuh. (Dutch people: Fell free to correct me if there's a better way to write out the pronunciation in English.)

We'll post some photos of the actual dishes after we dine. In the meantime, here's a nice video overview of the restaurant in Holland that inspired the experience on the Eurodam:

aTKWyLTqDO4

I'll post a scanned menu separately, but here's the menu - typed out - because we care:

AMUSE BOUCHE

North Sea Scallop

Black Garlic Pearls, Celeriac Juice

FIRST COURSE

Maine Lobster With Avocado

Yellow Beef Steak Tomato, Micro Greens

- or -

Oyster On The Beach

Foie Gras, Oloroso Sherry, Ginger

SECOND COURSE

Lobster Bisque Foam

Alaskan King Crab, Brioche Croutons And Lovage

- or -

Dark Beer Pork Belly

Madras Curry, Green Pea, Caviar, Goat Cheese

THIRD COURSE

Seared Bass With Speck Ham

Riesling And Celery

- or -

Sweet Bread

Red Beet, Raisins, Pistachio And Apple

FOURTH COURSE

Baked Cod With North Sea Shirmp':Baharat,

Aceto, Chipolini And Potato

- or -

Miso Glazed Duck Breast

Carrot-Passion Fruit Puree, Cauliflower And Hazelnut Oil

DESSERT

Deconstructed Apple Pie

Vanilla Gelato And Chantilly-Style Cream

- or -

Roasted White Chocolate

Lemongrass, Blueberry And Chervil

Based on what I know about our eating habits, we should be able to try all the dishes. DW and I have gotten really good at covering the menu. I'll probably have to take on for the team on the sweet breads. Huskerchick knows that they're neither sweet nor are they bread. She wants no part of it. Sadly, our T-Mobile data service in St. Thomas is Edge, the dreaded 2G. I'm not sure if I'll be able to phone post from here.

I may not be able to post the food photos until we get back to Florida this weekend, so please bear with me. I have not yet heard back from the Culinary Operations Manager/Food & Beverage even though I gave a memory stick to the front office a few days ago. I put a second memory stick in a note card and am going to drop it off today.