How to communicate with my family while onboard?

CariBear

We are boarding Allure on Sunday and are wondering how we can keep in touch with one another while onboard. In 2010, we sailed Oasis and I remember there was a WOW phone we could rent?? Not sure of the details. We are used to sailing with Disney and they have an app which allows you to communicate with one another via text plus details for all show schedules, activities, dinner menus....for free. It is awesome and I was hoping RCCL had implemented something like this on all of their ships by now. Looks like that is not a possibility at this time. Just trying to stay in touch with my teenager when we happen to be separated. We have iPhones and Verizon. Thanks for any help make you can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can check into the "Voom" deals, for internet connection. Details avail. on the RCCI web site. A few weeks ago they had a special going on it. We will be first time grandparents while on a cruise in Feb so it was a must for us. I also understand needing to stay in touch with a teenager. Hope this helps.

Talking to your party is the best communication. I don't see a need for texting or walkie talkies.... Just tell each other where you'll be...and if someone's plans change, they will know where to find you. It's not that difficult!

As far as staying "in touch" with kids'...I want to SEE my kids...texting tells me NOTHING..I want to see their eyes...and manner...have the kids come and find you IN PERSON....then they can go to the next adventure.....

I appreciate the replies! Wish Royal IQ was available on Allure. Too late to book Voom as my sailing is in 2 days, but I did not see any sales when I looked last week.....will check onboard. Thanks!

Edited by CariBear

Download the Royal IQ app on your phones. You can call or text each other through that app on the Anthem of the Seas. Works fairly well but you can only use it onboard. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

How can I use my iPhone onboard without incurring phone/roaming charges? I always use my phone as an alarm clock, but I am afraid to turn it on because of the charges.:confused:

I just got off the Anthem this morning. I used my text on my IPhone to text

Other family and friends who had an IPhone. I didn't buy the voom package.

I do not know why it worked. It didn't work trying to send a photo or to

Friends who had an android phone. I also noticed that alerts also showed up.

But when I clicked on the alert, the web page wouldn't work.

How can I use my iPhone onboard without incurring phone/roaming charges? I always use my phone as an alarm clock, but I am afraid to turn it on because of the charges.:confused:

Put your phone in Airplane mode to avoid any cellular charges.

Did you check with your carrier if there are really no charges when you sent the text while onboard?

Edited by easyboy

Download the Royal IQ app on your phones. You can call or text each other through that app on the Anthem of the Seas. Works fairly well but you can only use it onboard. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Quantum Class and Harmony are the only ships that currently use the Royal IQ App...

Royal IQ is only available on Quantam class and the Harmony

It worked because you were on the ship's cell tower, Cellular at Sea. You will most likely have a charge on your next phone bill for every text sent and maybe for texts received too. Be happy the web page did not load. You probably have data roaming turned off. Had it worked, you could have had a massive bill for cellular data.

It worked because you were on the ship's cell tower, Cellular at Sea. You will most likely have a charge on your next phone bill for every text sent and maybe for texts received too. Be happy the web page did not load. You probably have data roaming turned off. Had it worked, you could have had a massive bill for cellular data.

Nope. I had my phone on airplane mode the entire time. It only worked with people I text that had IPhones. android phones did not work. The phone was only connected to Voom for the IQ app. I did not pay for Voom. I'm pretty savvy with my IPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JPEvans

Nope. I had my phone on airplane mode the entire time. It only worked with people I text that had IPhones. android phones did not work. The phone was only connected to Voom for the IQ app. I did not pay for Voom. I'm pretty savvy with my IPhone.

Please tell us more and assume we (me for sure) are Dummies when it comes to Tech stuff and my iPhone for sure! (I have ATT service and get Unlimited International Texting and a Internationing calling plan that I cancel once I get home. Disable Roaming and Push and keep my phone in Airplane mode most of the time). Never again do I want an $800 cell bill because I forgot to turn off my Data)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please tell us more and assume we (me for sure) are Dummies when it comes to Tech stuff and my iPhone for sure! (I have ATT service and get Unlimited International Texting and a Internationing calling plan that I cancel once I get home. Disable Roaming and Push and keep my phone in Airplane mode most of the time). Never again do I want an $800 cell bill because I forgot to turn off my Data)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had my phone on airplane mode and hooked up to the ships wifi for the IQ app. It's free to use. My friends said. They were getting text. I think there was a glitch in the system that allowed text for Iphones and alerts to go through.

On HOTS now and can confirm that iMessage texts ONLY between iPhones will work when connected to royal wifi. Only one of us has purchased the VOOM internet package and our phones are on airplane mode, we are only connected to royal wifi. You don't even need to log in to anything, just connect and text away to friends/family who have iPhones!! We were going to buy the messaging feature on the Royal IQ app but after hearing the bad reviews (and finding out that this trick works) we definitely won't be doing that!

Edited by jaredgold33

Cool Cruiser

On HOTS now and can confirm that iMessage texts ONLY between iPhones will work when connected to royal wifi. Only one of us has purchased the VOOM internet package and our phones are on airplane mode, we are only connected to royal wifi. You don't even need to log in to anything, just connect and text away to friends/family who have iPhones!! We were going to buy the messaging feature on the Royal IQ app but after hearing the bad reviews (and finding out that this trick works) we definitely won't be doing that!

Thank you for answering the question that was posted (and not giving unsolicited advice/comments).