Women Pants For Hawaii?

Cruiseoholic000

I am looking for comfy pants for Hawaii to wear on the plane going/coming, early morning crater visit and horseback riding. Would like something packs small. I have read moisture wicking performance pants are a good idea too. I don't want anything too tight as my thighs are not of a 20 year old ;-) I don't want to break the bank either. Anyone have any ideas?

I love wearing Land's End, starfish capris. They are so comfortable and form fitting but not tight. They are light weight. They are great for walking around the ship and exercising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agreed. The only thing I miss are pockets that hold something bigger than a credit card. They are a wonderful knit and very comfy. They might be a little warm for Hawaii.

I am looking for comfy pants for Hawaii to wear on the plane going/coming, early morning crater visit and horseback riding. Would like something packs small. I have read moisture wicking performance pants are a good idea too. I don't want anything too tight as my thighs are not of a 20 year old ;-) I don't want to break the bank either. Anyone have any ideas?

Consider trekking pants (usually moisture wicking) from a brand like Columbia or LLBean. They are lightweight and pack small, and I think they'd be good for horseback riding. The crater can be REALLY cold, so maybe plan a thin pair of leggings underneath for that day. Some have some stretch, so are fairly comfortable for travel, although they are woven and not knitted, so they will never compare to, say, a loose fitting, knit yoga pant or similar "travel pant" which is my preference for long flights. You'll have to try some one and experiment to find one that fits the way you like it. They aren't cut like skinny pants, but again- they aren't a knit pant, so if your thighs are disproportionately large compared to the size you need for your waist and rear end, they may not work. If you have a store like REI, Bass Pro Shops, etc. near you they'll likely have a variety you can try on.

I bought two pair (different styles/brands) for a 2 week safari and gorilla trekking trip this past summer to Africa and they were great!

I have all the options mentioned so far, I think :p Tek gear from Kohls are the lightest weight. Great for hot weather & flying, not sure I'd enjoy horseback riding in them. Starfish pants (and similar I have from Neiman Marcus - Neon Buddha) are cotton & heavier - nice but not for me in hot temps. I have a few from Columbia that are wicking (as well as Mountain Hardwear - they seem to fit my thighs a little better than Columbia do in certain styles)

It's below freezing at the summit of the volcano...sometimes, there is actually snow! Windy as hell, too...bring something WARM for that trip!!!!

Wow. Almost got one right ;) "the volcano"... The average temperature for the summit of Mauna Kea is 38 degrees, Haleakala is mid-50s. :rolleyes:

There actually was snow on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa the other week - they got something like 3 feet over a few days. Both are around 13,000 feet. Haleakala is around 10,000 feet and the snow is much rarer. If you go on a tour, check if they provide jackets before you jam one into your luggage.

I bring technical pants on every trip I take. They are very comfortable to me and are a decent neutral color. I've got full pant, ones that zip to capri length, ones that zip to just-below-knee pants and ones that zip to shorts. Which I take depends on where I'm going. I've got some from The North Face, Patagonia, Colombia, REI, Royal Robbins and Athleta. I've used my convertible-to-shorts pants when riding on a camel - does that translate to riding on a horse??? ;) In any case, they were fine for me - I just washed them and let them dry overnight to wear for the rest of the trip.

Edited by slidergirl

I wear LL Bean Comfort Trail Pants for travel. They are lightweight, comfortable, wash and hang dry overnight, and have good pockets. I have long pants, capris and even shorts, all in black, so a good travel color. Some pants of this style category are made of hot fabric, noisy fabric, or look like cargo pants. My LL Bean pants have worked well for extended land travel as well as cruises. I always wear them on the plane.

I also have a pair of LL Bean Cresta Trail Pants which I will take to Iceland this year. They have a narrower leg and a bit more "performance" fabric, but are definitely daytime only active casual.

For sizing and fit help when ordering from LL Bean, I will measure a pair of pants that fit me well, then do the online "live chat" and request actual garment measurements for the item I am considering ordering. This definitely minimizes the returns when ordering online.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your search.

I have all the options mentioned so far, I think :p Tek gear from Kohls are the lightest weight. Great for hot weather & flying, not sure I'd enjoy horseback riding in them.

As for horseback riding long pants are a must.

Not sure if you're referring to my post or not, but I meant that my tek pants are *too* lightweight for me to want to go horseback riding in them. I'd prefer something heavier :D

It's below freezing at the summit of the volcano.

Wow. Almost got one right ;) "the volcano"... The average temperature for the summit of Mauna Kea is 38 degrees, Haleakala is mid-50s. :rolleyes:

Not exactly. According to this link, the average HIGH is in the mid-50's but the average LOW is in the 30's. The overall average would be somewhere in between. I've only been to the summit once but I can assure it was way, way, WAY below the mid 50's! I barely managed to stay out of the car long enough for my boyfriend to snap 1 photo of me. That was in January, which is when it appears that the OP is going, so I would expect it to be pretty cold and prepare accordingly. The worst that can happen is the OP is pleasantly surprised by warmer than expected temps.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?hi1008

Edited by waterbug123

Not exactly. According to this link, the average HIGH is in the mid-50's but the average LOW is in the 30's. The overall average would be somewhere in between. I've only been to the summit once but I can assure it was way, way, WAY below the mid 50's! I barely managed to stay out of the car long enough for my boyfriend to snap 1 photo of me. That was in January, which is when it appears that the OP is going, so I would expect it to be pretty cold and prepare accordingly. The worst that can happen is the OP is pleasantly surprised by warmer than expected temps.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?hi1008

I got my data from NOAA (use it daily at work)... the average high at the temp recording center for Haleakala is 63F and average low is 46F from there. So, different strokes ;)

Here in the last few days of December, the temp forecasts for Haleakala Summit are upper 40s for the lows. But, I live in the mountains and I don't grab the down parka to walk the dog until it gets to about 10F and I still wear my Athleta leggings with no long johns ;-) (I used to work outside at a ski resort, so my idea of "cold" may be slightly skewed).

For plane traveling (would work for the volcano and horse back riding too) I have found leggings/jeggings at Penneys that work great for me. They are light weight, come in many colors; but I like the dark denim;, and comfortable.

I am 71 and do not want the skin tight leggings, so I just buy them big--for me at 135 I get the L just because I want them a little loose. Non-constricting for plane travel.

I wash them on cold and hang to dry, just in case they shrink; they never have.

When brand new and very dark, they dress up nicely for dinner with the right top.

No brand name on them but I find them in the sock/scarf area at Penneys. They are kind of like fake jeans with rivets, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Land's End Starfish pants & capris. I wore the pants on a 5 hour flight to Jamaica. They are so comfortable. I am going to wear them on our upcoming 9 hour trip to Hawaii. The pants or capris are great for lounging in the cabin, workouts & walking around the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app