Welcome to the new addiction

NIATPAC29

Why do so many have to exhibit ocd when it comes to being connected to the net/social media. When you are on a cruise we do not care who ate what,who cut in line,hear your complaints,read you ask 'why is my dinner cold?". Oh gosh the buffet isnt good. Oh the ship has too many people,taking pics of others private moments, and on and on and on! Disconnect, take that internet iv out of your veins. Let it go people--stop the social media addiction now---step one is having the nerve to admit you have a problem !!

Edited by NIATPAC29

Why do so many have to exhibit ocd when it comes to being connected to the net/social media. When you are on a cruise we do not care who ate what,who cut in line,hear your complaints,read you ask 'why is my dinner cold?". Oh gosh the buffet isnt good. Oh the ship has too many people,taking pics of others private moments, and on and on and on! Disconnect, take that internet iv out of your veins. Let it go people--stop the social media addiction now---step one is having the nerve to admit you have a problem !!

Have you considered taking your advice? What are you doing here - other than attending a particular facet of social media?

Have you considered taking your advice? What are you doing here - other than attending a particular facet of social media?

Agreed. Also:

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder where people feel the need to check things repeatedly, perform certain routines repeatedly (called "rituals"), or have certain thoughts repeatedly. People are unable to control either the thoughts or the activities for more than a short period of time. Common activities include hand washing, counting of things, and checking to see if a door is locked. Some may have difficulty throwing things out. These activities occur to such a degree that the person's daily life is negatively affected. Often they take up more than an hour a day. Most adults realize that the behaviors do not make sense. The condition is associated with tics, anxiety disorder, and an increased risk of suicide.

You are talking about people who enjoy what they are doing, even though you may not enjoy it. They are in control of themselves. They do not have OCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And I take it CC is not another form of mutli media? Seems Ironic to me.:D

Agreed. Also:

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder where people feel the need to check things repeatedly, perform certain routines repeatedly (called "rituals"), or have certain thoughts repeatedly. People are unable to control either the thoughts or the activities for more than a short period of time. Common activities include hand washing, counting of things, and checking to see if a door is locked. Some may have difficulty throwing things out. These activities occur to such a degree that the person's daily life is negatively affected. Often they take up more than an hour a day. Most adults realize that the behaviors do not make sense. The condition is associated with tics, anxiety disorder, and an increased risk of suicide.

You are talking about people who enjoy what they are doing, even though you may not enjoy it. They are in control of themselves. They do not have OCD.

I think he meant the other OCD which is Over-Complaining Disease.:p

That sounds like a post from somebody is a little older than me! I'm 22 and so I've just some form of social media for at least 10 years. It's as much a part of me as anything else!

Not only is it great to share things with friends and strangers around the world but social media is a great keeper of memories and how you felt at the time. It's nice to be able to remember things that you otherwise would have forgotten.

You say 'we don't care'. But I do! I love seeing other people's holiday snaps and learning about their experiences. You are totally able to turn off the internet if you prefer :)

You say 'we don't care'. But I do! I love seeing other people's holiday snaps and learning about their experiences. You are totally able to turn off the internet if you prefer :)

Agreed, reading other people's adventures and seeing their travel pics are great. Seeing what they had for dinner or a drink is not so great though.

Agreed, reading other people's adventures and seeing their travel pics are great. Seeing what they had for dinner or a drink is not so great though.

I like all of that! I don't understand why people won't just live and let live :') nobody makes anybody look at it.

I look at people's food pictures before I go on a cruise :)

Reading comprehension is a rare skill these days. The entire post is all about when your on a*** vacation***.if you cannot go 1 day or even 1 hour with out the addiction of the social media causing you anxiety then you have a probelm !!

Reading comprehension is a rare skill these days. The entire post is all about when your on a*** vacation***.if you cannot go 1 day or even 1 hour with out the addiction of the social media causing you anxiety then you have a probelm !!

When we Cruise the computer stays home and the phone is off and locked in the safe. Never have and never will stay connected. Hell we don't even watch TV while on Cruises to keep up with current events. But that's us. If others want to stay connected and share their positive or negatives live feeds during their Cruises so what. None of our business. It's all about choices. Possibly you have the problem concerning yourself about what others choose to do.

Edited by davekathy

I think seeing everyone's posts allows me to live vicariously through them when I'm not on a ship, and makes me want to cruise even more. Nothing replaces the thrill of embarkation, the excitement of a sail away party, or the warm smiles from the crew welcoming you to the exotic ports of call.

Sure, a picture or video seen online is one thing, but living it is what it's all about.

The connected age is here, yes, but I think it's just another way to experience the joys of cruising without being on the ship, for all those times to enjoy it in-between sailings.

Sorry, bud, but i think you are the one with the problem. As long as you aren't the one footing the phone bill, what business is it of yours how other people choose to spend their time?

And frankly, calling people who prefer to stay connected mentally ill ( because yes, OCD is a mental illness)is highly offensive, as well as being ridiculous. You are in need of a mega dose of MYOB.

Now DH and I don't choose to stay connected to social media while onboard, but we do make use of wifi while in port. There are both family and business reasons that make it prudent for us to keep abreast of what is happening at home. You apparently have no such ties. Good for you. So you vacation your way, and allow the rest of the world to vacation their way.

I don't really care if someone needs to stay connected 24/7 unless it impacts me. If someone is so caught up in social media, text messaging, facebook or twitter or other electronic communication, that they can't be social or polite then they have the problem. I believe this is a sort of addiction and some people need to disconnect. If they absolutely can't then they have a problem and at some point many of these people will need therapy. jmo

I don't really care if someone needs to stay connected 24/7 unless it impacts me. If someone is so caught up in social media, text messaging, facebook or twitter or other electronic communication, that they can't be social or polite then they have the problem. I believe this is a sort of addiction and some people need to disconnect. If they absolutely can't then they have a problem and at some point many of these people will need therapy. jmo

It's all about me and my opinion with you apparently. Sorry you have such a judgemental outlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Seriously, it is non of your business or mine what others do with their time and money.

For some "reading comprehension" I suggest reading J&Jtravelcouple's post.

I have been unconnected in the past on board the ships we have cruised on. I did not miss it one bit. I figured I could stay in touch while off the ships at the ports of call.

However, recently our dog ran away the day we flew to Florida to board the ship the next day, so in order to be in communication by email, I bought the internet connection. I only touched base with the people out looking for my dog. I did not spend much time on my IPAD. Fortunately our dog was recovered after the fifth day. I am glad I did not have to go the entire cruise not knowing about my dog's whereabouts. I would not have enjoyed my cruise. It was bad enough going half the cruise not knowing whether she was okay or not.

I have not noticed people on their IPAD's and phones while cruising. Or maybe I just don't pay attention. However, people may have noticed me on my last cruise getting phone calls as people were keeping me aware with the efforts of my neighbors and friends out searching for my dog!

I understand what you mean and agree with the sentiment, but in this day and age it'll never happen. We're in the connected age, it is what it is.

You're better off just focusing on your own vacation and enjoying it to the best of your ability. Let them do their thing and you do yours.

The point I'm trying to make is people getting on the ship and putting every little complain on Facebook while they're on the ship or thinking they have to share every little thing. Disconnect for god sakes

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Then don't read Facebook. I don't. I would rather them complain on a social media site I don't use, then have to listen to them whining and complaining next to me. But, then again, I usually just move. Don't need to hear that nonsense.

This is a truly asinine thread (but not surprising, look at other posts by the OP, lots of exclamation points and insults).

You could take out the phrase "social media" and replace it with almost anything.

Why do people read on a cruise?

Why do people drink on a cruise?

Why do people gamble on a cruise?

Why do people play trivia on a cruise?

More importantly, why do you care what others do or do not do?