What to do on a day at sea?

Lanky Lad

Check the daily program and find something you like to do. You can check out the speakers each day, lay by the pool, get a book from the onboard library or find a quiet place and do nothing at all. Sometimes there are goofy things to do by the pool or find a music performance. Don't obsess over it. Just go with the flow!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Get up and enjoy the view of just sea for a start!

Take a walk around the prom deck enjoying the sea air and the waves.

Frankly, just enjoy being at sea.

Sea days are the best days - that is what ships are all about after all. :)

There will be quizzes in one of the bars, films in the cinema, line dancing, talks, deck quoits, shuffleboard, art classes, ballroom dancing lessons, shops to browse or just lay on a sunbed and read a book !! I load my phone with music and put my headphones on and usually fall asleep! :)

Hello lanky lad. Like me, you have been on cunard, quite a bit!

Well, what goes on on qv, qe,and to some extent on qm2

Also happens on p&o ships.one thing that is exclusive to pando,

Is the crew and passenger talent show.

They do the choir thing.just done the caribbean on queen victoria.

Turned into 17 sea days. Too many! I used to like sea days.

But 9 of them on the return, because no azores call due to high winds. Has changed my tune. Regards, mike.

I find that the on board 'entertainment' on sea days is very poor. That which does exist is geared up to very old people or those with an interest in exercise / sport or health & beauty - none of which appeal to me.

The only things that appeal to me are the guest speakers, although some are better than others, but sadly there are less than there used to be.

Yes, there's the sea but there's rarely anything of interest to look at when you are away from land, unless you strike lucky and see dolphins or flying fish. I enjoyed seeing the oil rigs en-route to the fjords, but suspect that I am in a small minority.

I consider sea days to be dawn til dusk eating fests, interrupted by brief rest periods. That way, I can just about cope with them.

My wife, on the other hand, loves sea days as she buries her nose in a book.

Thanks everyone :)

I am going to Norway in February so I don't think I will be doing a lot of sun bed lounging, but I am sure I will be spending quite a bit of time outside.

Hopefully I will find time to watch a film, but I could be too busy doing other things.

I'm really not good on sea days unless there is the sun on my balcony and I can sit, glass in hand, with my Kindle and listening to the sound of the ship cutting through the water. Bliss.

If it is over cast and no sunbeds available I can get grumpy .. really don't like just wandering around the ship after the first sea day.

Having said that, on two occasions we managed to get on the ship's Behind the Scenes Tour. These were about 3 / 4 hours long and brilliant. We did this on Oceana and Britannia and both ended with a long spell on the Bridge of the ships with the Captain and then some canapés and drinks with a question and answer session with the Captain and a senior officer. The one on Oceana was particularly good as Captain Andrew Willard was brilliant and was a real 'people' person --- couldn't stop him chatting!

These trips are sometimes not advertised so it may be worth asking at Guest Services as they sometimes take your name down and let you know if it is happening. They usually only allow about 16 people on each tour so book early if interested. They aren't cheap however, but we used up our OBC for ours. :)

:)

Edited by Presto2

Another vote for the Behind the Scenes tour which is, without doubt, the most interesting thing to do on a sea day. They are expensive and numbers are strictly limited. They sell out very quickly as there is often only one tour per cruise. Bookings (and waiting lists) are handled through reception. There's a lot of walking, including narrow stairs, so they are not suitable for those with walking difficulties.

Another vote for the Behind the Scenes tour

...and another.

The Azura tour was absolutely fascinating. It lasted for several hours and was worth every penny. By the way, no cameras allowed, which was disappointing but understandable for security reasons.

There is sometimes also a 'secret' galley tour and lunch. A real behind the scenes look at all aspects, where you get to see things happening, rather than just 'walk through' which is the free tour

I think it was £20, for champagne on arrival, the tour, 3 course lunch with wine. It lasted about 3 hours.

Ask the waiters who are based around the ship as you board, or on Day 1 or 2, when they are promoting the paid-for restaurants. There was no promotion of the tour when we booked - the waiter asked me if I'd be interested as I booked the Epicurian for later in the cruise

How much is the 'Behind the Scenes Tour'?

Cab you pre book it on the cruise personaliser

I think we paid about £70 - like we said, not cheap.

It usually happens once a cruise - but it is up to the Captain's discretion and sometimes does not take place. It is very rarely advertised so you'd need to go to Guest Services to ask about it and put your name down. Places are very limited so best to go as soon as possible if you want to do it.

As part of the tour you get one free photograph (the others you have to buy if you want them, a slight snack and drinks with the Captain and a gift in your cabin when you get back.

I did this on Arcadia ...it was advertised, but only very discretely in the ships newspaper. It usually takes place on a sea day towards the end of a cruise. Best thing is to ask at reception on day 2 and get your name put down, you can always cancel nearer the time if you change your mind. But it was so worth while...imho.£75. Nearly 4 hours.

When I did the Northern Lights cruise on Oriana in 2014, they were very aware that the weather would be unsuitable for much outdoor activity and put on lots of extra indoor stuff.

That said you do want to be on deck for the sail into Tromso and Alta as the scenery is spectacular - just wear the right clothes.

uFb4V8LXSKYtFMnsfH1D5BAgm4sKWnVEWDZ1wuu4ss6Zry8O7OypsQIXJ7NMHPQlwyDJ1OFcRFjpTxw=w2112-h1189-no

When I did the Northern Lights cruise on Oriana in 2014, they were very aware that the weather would be unsuitable for much outdoor activity and put on lots of extra indoor stuff.

That said you do want to be on deck for the sail into Tromso and Alta as the scenery is spectacular - just wear the right clothes.

uFb4V8LXSKYtFMnsfH1D5BAgm4sKWnVEWDZ1wuu4ss6Zry8O7OypsQIXJ7NMHPQlwyDJ1OFcRFjpTxw=w2112-h1189-no

Wow, what time of the year is that?

We are not a fan of sea days, I agree with previous comment from Selbourne that entertainment is poor. Although one day at sea can be a welcome and relaxing break, any more is a little boring to us. We did a Baltic cruise last June that started with 3 days at sea. Even though when we booked it was advertised as 2 days at sea. Never again. We will not consider any cruise in future that does 3 or more conservative days at sea. It's a pity as we wanted to do the Britannia for the first time this year but the times we want involve 3 days at sea to canaries. So we have gone for second choice which is fly cruise on Oceana.

Regarding behind scenes tour, as much as we would have loved to do it, we thought the price was a total rip off. £70 for tour with unlike other excursions, almost no overheads, just pure profit.

This thread is giving me lots of ideas - sailing on Azura in September and have 2 sea days to fill. Am a solo traveller so my current plan is to bring lots of reading material, find a corner and read. Will see if any activities take my fancy - what sort of thing do they tend to do on board?

We must have been very lucky, We were on Celebrity Eclipse and got an invitation to do a tour of the bridge, Photo's were permitted (but no video) and it was totally free.