bringing bikes on a Viking river cruise

Hawaiidan

A friend who ia an avid bike guy wants to do a river cruise but bring his bike along.. and ride alll day and skip the tours, can he do this

Also I was thinking where would he store the bike and what would the excess baggage charge be to fly from Cal to to Amaterdam

Any info can he do this???

Why don't you contact Viking directly? Also visit airline websites for baggage information.

More cruises seem to be catering for more active passengers and provide bicycles but, for an avid cyclist, bringing your own bike would be preferable.

Back in my Euro Bike trip days UA was $100 each way; bike must be boxed too. Lufthansa was free, no box needed. Saw this little LH trailer with my bike all tied down go by under the wing.This was many years ago. Always had(have), better luck on foreign lines.

Pretty sure Viking provide bicycles but it may depend on which boat you're on.

Give them a call, they'll tell you quick enough.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No bikes on Viking. Not even stationary as they do not have gyms.

Edited by caviargal

A friend contacted the concierge on the ship prior to arrival and a bike was waiting for her when she boarded.......can't remember how much the rental was but viking was helpful in setting up the rides (not everyday).....don't know where they stored the bike between rides.

some of the other lines have bikes onboard for guests to use.

If your friend is really into cycling and if they have not booked yet, perhaps they should look at other cruise lines. My upcoming Scenic cruise offers several opportunities for cycling and the bicycles onboard are complementary.

There are other lines that offer even more opportunities for cycling.

Trek (with Scenic) and Backroads (with Ama Waterways) both have real cycling vacations on regular river cruise ships. If he is a serious cyclist this would make more sense than just cycling on a regular cruise. By the way I don't think there is any airline now that will take a bike for free.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

I have ridden the bikes provided on Uniworld and Ama. I have also done serious bike tours. The bikes provided on board aren't what a serious cyclist would want to ride on an all day excursion.

Just a note, as far as I know, for organized bike tours offered by river cruise companies, bikes are brought in by the tour organizer. They don't use the bikes that are already on board. This is probably both a question of quality and quantity.

I'm not sure whether it is Scenic or Emerald (or both) but they have bicycles with GPS to give you directions on a self-directed bicycle excursion.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

Edited by gnome12