Veendam or Koningsdam?

cruiseapril

Hi- We are considering a 2019 cruise on either the Veendam or the Koningsdam- to the Caribbean.

We have been on the Westerdam and Noordam and will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March.

Which ship would you choose for 2019? Thanks in advance for your advice.

I like the Veendam...we've been on her twice to Bermuda. But since she only has one real pool (the Seaview pool having been replaced Years ago with the Retreat), I would choose Koningsdam for the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning, I have sailed on both and for me it would be the itinerary that would determine my choice. If the itineraries are the same I would opt for the Koningsdam. The Koningsdam has the Tamarind and a nice place for freshly made pizza, Veendam doesn't. The Koningsdam also has a few more options for things to do. I do like the Veendam and have sailed three times on her and am planning a fourth trip in a June.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi- We are considering a 2019 cruise on either the Veendam or the Koningsdam- to the Caribbean.

We have been on the Westerdam and Noordam and will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March.

I would not sail on Veendam in a tropical climate. With just one pool and the Sea View/Retreat area filled with Hot Tubs (which are too Hot to sit in..in the tropics) The Koningsdam would be my choice.

You could hardly have picked two more different HAL ships! The Veendam is 20 years older and half the number of passengers. If you like older/smaller/classic ships, choose the V. I like newer ships with more features like the Tamarind and Grand Dutch Cafe. Disadvantages of the K are a poor library and promenade. Maybe by 2019 they will have improved the library.

Edited by jtl513

Itinerary it is - I'd prefer longer ones and islands that are not overrun by hundreds of cruise ships in the season.

One advantage of Koningsdam might be the fact that there is quite a lot of open space to relax in with lots of sun loungers. As it is a new ship it offers quite a lot of balcony cabins which might give you better pricing as well of you are looking for a balcony.

As it is a new ship it offers quite a lot of balcony cabins which might give you better pricing as well of you are looking for a balcony.
Prices are higher in this inaugural season than comparable cabins on prior ships. In Nov for 4 days on the K we paid 80% of what 7 days on the Oosterdam cost in Dec for a room of the same class in the same area. That's 41% more per day. Prices will likely drop next season. Edited by catl331

It's tedious but for the Caribbean I would also look at how many other ships are in the same ports for each ship.

I like the smaller, older ships myself simply because I don't like big crowds in port. That is just my personal choice. Yours may be just the opposite and the Caribbean gets pretty crowded this time of the year anyway.

But if you are sharing them with other large ships, then size of either ship probably would not make much difference.

Indeed, itinerary matters most to us too - would these two very different ships have the same itineraries? The Konigdam is sharing one port with us on our upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam Southern ABC islands Caribbean cruise - but it looks like from my early research we will have all the other ports to ourselves, including HMC. Yippee.

We just got off 28 days on the Veendam Montreal-San Diego via Panama Canal and she was fine. Cabin temps on the Veendam were around 75 degrees when it got hotter outside. And we set the thermostat to give us 75 degrees when it got colder. :o

Prices are higher in this inaugural season than comparable cabins on prior ships. In Nov for 4 days on the K we paid 80% of what 7 days on the Oosterdam cost in Dec for a room of the same class in the same area. That's 41% more per day. Prices will likely drop next season.

I was curious and checked prices and itineraries for both Veendam and Koningsdam for an 11-day cruise in March 2018 (picked randomly):

Personally I found the itinerary for Veendam much more interesting (more unusual, smaller islands), prices for a balcony cabin were about 25 % higher though, as you would have to book a Vista Suite to get a balcony.

So if you went for the comfort of a smaller ship and the Itinerary ( as we would) I'd choose the Veendam even if we found the regular balcony cabins on Koningsdam really great ( loved the shower!!!) and well-appointed and the public spaces, bars and cafés as well as the entertainment without fault. I think it really depends what you want: for most of us Europeans the Caribbean is something rather new and exciting - so it's itinerary over choice of ship. If you already know all the ports of the Caribbean intimately and rarely leave the ship anyway - choice of ship would be the Koningsdam!

Our personal "bathtub" is the Mediterranean - so for real experiences and new ports we choose the Prinsendam or Azamara - for a relaxing cruise when we just want to enjoy the ship, the service, the food, sitting on the balcony - we choose the Koningsdam or another HAL or Celebrity ship that gives a good deal at that time.

Appreciate the replies.

We are considering the Veendam itinerary which stops in St. Croix, St. Kitts, and Antigua and a few other ports. Enjoy smaller ships.

The Koningsdam itinerary is to the ABCs which we like very much. We have visited Curacao and Aruba several times. I have been to Bonaire, but my sister and daughter have not.

Both itineraries are appealing to us.

Was the Veendam redone?

Edited by cruiseapril

Hi- We are considering a 2019 cruise on either the Veendam or the Koningsdam- to the Caribbean...

Appreciate the replies.

We are considering the Veendam itinerary which stops in St. Croix, St. Kitts, and Antigua and a few other ports. Enjoy smaller ships.

The Koningsdam itinerary is to the ABCs which we like very much. We have visited Curacao and Aruba several times. I have been to Bonaire, but my sister and daughter have not.

Was the Veendam redone?

Where did you see itineraries for 2019?

Appreciate the replies.

Was the Veendam redone?

The likelihood Veendam is sailing for HAL in 2019 is very slim.

I have never been on the Koningsdam, but I would go on it sight unseen over the Veendam. The Veendam was old 10 years ago. It is a nice ship for getting into small and shallow ports. In Bermuda, for example, she can dock right on Front Street whereas larger vessels have to use the piers at Kings Wharf and take a ferry across. Beyond that, The V doesn't have much going for it anymore. It's not horrible or dirty, just dated and very limited in options, some by poor planning (casual dinning closes at 8 ?! - God forbid you want a cocktail after returning from the beach).

I have to believe that much of people's criticisms of the V have been corrected in the K, which is, admittedly, twice the size. As noted by a member above, it is likely that the V will not be with HAL in 2 years time. The vessel has been on the market for several years now with no buyers, but eventually she will end up in a lower market Indian or Med fleet.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/Modern-Cruise-Ship%2C-1350-Passengers--Stock-No.-S2163-2875802/United-States#.WG6MrFUrLbg

The likelihood Veendam is sailing for HAL in 2019 is very slim.

This was my question. I thought it was scheduled to be sold, not sure when.

We go on the Veendam for the third time (7+35+48=more days than any other ship) next month. Love her! Have not been on the K, but I would choose based on price and itinerary, not on the ship itself.

I would personally consider the ship based on where it would be visiting, at this time we are very impressed with the Koningsdam, either ship would be a good choice.

My husband and I sailed on the Koningsdam in November and she would be a fabulous choice for any cruise, Caribbean or afar! We would definitely recommend her to anyone who loves HAL because even though she's their largest ship yet, we still explored all of her decks and spaces in a day! We didn't find her crowded or anything. In fact when we disembarked, we looked around at all the new faces we never saw on board! We have never been on the Veendam and we don't know anyone who has...we sail on Maasdam in June to Canada/NE and had a choice between Maasdam and Veendam. We opted for Maasdam because the ship hasn't been overdone and retrofitted like the other. In other words it's more intact and original. Plus my parents sailed on Maasdam before and said she's a beautiful classy ship. We've sailed on other older HAL ships and have never been disappointed. We love HAL for their smaller ships and shy away from huge mega ships sailing with other lines.

Either pick the ship or the best itinerary for you! Good luck!

The Koningsdam becomes more and more appealing. We have not yet sailed on a ship with more than 2,000 passengers.

The Family Oceanviews on Koningsdam are an attraction to the three of us, (me, my sister, and my daughter), who sail together on a regular basis.

HAL has such good itineraries that we always have a choice to make when booking.