Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

How old is this ship? I mean, sounds like it's a good candidate to sell off to another lesser cruise line and cut your losses. This year has been nothing but bad news for this ship.

The ship is not that old (although todays NEW NEW NEW cruisers would disagree.) Launched in late 2001. Many ships are older, including all Celebrity M class vessels and dozens of others.

And, she is in great shape (sans azipods :eek:) Sailed the Star in June and loved it. Whether or not we will be sailing her in 2 weeks...dunno.

The ship is not that old (although todays NEW NEW NEW cruisers would disagree.) Launched in late 2001. Many ships are older, including all Celebrity M class vessels and dozens of others.

And, she is in great shape (sans azipods :eek:) Sailed the Star in June and loved it. Whether or not we will be sailing her in 2 weeks...dunno.

Fair enough, that does not seem too old. Maybe she needs an azipod transplant. LOL

So there must have been quite a risk that azipod could have broken while we were out at sea when the previous one was not functioning!

Maybe she needs an azipod transplant.

Very scary that the other azipod failed just days after the first one was fixed. Obviously limping around using only one for 7 weeks didn't work.

I'm on the Feb. 6 cruise and agree the ship needs to get out of the water for a complete overhaul of the propulsion system. Seems odd that it was just done less than 2 years ago during the 2015 drydocks.

Does Sydney have dry dock facilities available in just 10 days?

Edited by herdingdogmom

The Captain such spoke only made people more angry their is a great many people up here the ship has brought security

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My understanding was that the captain only joined the ship on the last sailing so no point taking it out on him (if true).

On our sailing he said it should have been dry docked so presumably either the last captain made a poor decision or HQ (my guess considering how they have managed this) made the decision.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Very scary that the other azipod failed just days after the first one was fixed. Obviously limping around using only one for 7 weeks didn't work.

I'm on the Feb. 6 cruise and agree the ship needs to get out of the water for a complete overhaul of the propulsion system. Seems odd that it was just done less than 2 years ago during the 2015 drydocks.

Does Sydney have dry dock facilities available in just 10 days?

Sydney does have a dry dock...its near Opera House.

Not sure about availability.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The only way to save the schedule is to cancel the New Zealand cruise....dry dock in Sydney is highly likely.

The only downside to that is they will need to decide that before they get to Sydney!!

My flight is next Friday evening to get in on Sunday Morning - once I leave I won't have any internet access on my phone to get emails!

My understanding was that the captain only joined the ship on the last sailing so no point taking it out on him (if true).

On our sailing he said it should have been dry docked so presumably either the last captain made a poor decision or HQ (my guess considering how they have managed this) made the decision.

We were on the 5 January "mystery cruise"..... The hotel director joined the ship that day; the captain had been onboard for many prior segments.

We were on the 5 January "mystery cruise"..... The hotel director joined the ship that day; the captain had been onboard for many prior segments.

That's interesting, I was told by a staff member they had both joined. She may well have been mistaken.

If that is the case then it would seem our captain was suggesting that it should have been dry docked and was over ruled.

The Aussie are leading the protest they don't take no for an answer.

Wow could spell trouble for the crews tips!!! (I am Australian so can say that[emoji851]) which would be a shame and wrong.

Say hi to Tash and TIara on the activities team from JAmes and fleur!

Also say hi to Brian and RObin from Canada if you do trivia. They are onboard all the way to Venice and must be annoyed

Wow could spell trouble for the crews tips!!! (I am Australian so can say that[emoji851]) which would be a shame and wrong.

Say hi to Tash and TIara on the activities team from JAmes and fleur!

Also say hi to Brian and RObin from Canada if you do trivia. They are onboard all the way to Venice and must be annoyed

Tiara is still on board and my gal pal so I'll send your regards. Also to Brian and Robin (they're a few doors down from us) - and yes, they are very annoyed.

Tiara is still on board and my gal pal so I'll send your regards. Also to Brian and Robin (they're a few doors down from us) - and yes, they are very annoyed.

Hello to Brian and Robin and JOYCE ..... From BettyNL (I arranged the $13 Hoi An Vietnam excursion)

Sydney does have a dry dock...its near Opera House.

Not sure about availability.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The dock is actually the Australian Naval Shipyards at Garden Island.

Not sure if they would be able to get in at short notice!

It still be outside the 12 month.

I was on the Dec 11 cruise, the one on which the azipod issue emerged. We were initially told that our future cruise credit was good for 1 year but, by the end of the cruise, we were being told that the credit was good for 2 years. I called NCL after the cruise and confirmed that the credit was good until 10 Dec 2018.

You should check with NCL again after your cruise and see if either you were misinformed or they've changed their minds.

So there must have been quite a risk that azipod could have broken while we were out at sea when the previous one was not functioning!

Very scary that the other azipod failed just days after the first one was fixed.

Is it clear either that

a) this is an azipod issue at all or

b) this is an issue with the "other" azipod?

I didn't see anything in the posts from the people on the ship to indicate either, only that the ship would be missing more ports.

Edited by havenfan

Is it clear either that

I didn't see anything in the posts from the people on the ship to indicate either, only that the ship would be missing more ports.

This response is fairly clear. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52117001

Is it clear either that

The letter from Ncl said Azipod.

db3ff9fa1dd58ea316856768146d2915.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk