Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

Disney has been using wrist bands for many years. The bands can hold credit card information, open your room door, purchase items, hold your dining reservations/fast passes, Disney can track you throughout the parks.

I had no problem using it the first time.

I am looking forward to using one on a Princess cruise, especially when I have something in both hands and need to open my cabin door.

I know that no one has the medallion yet but for people who've experienced similar items on other cruiselines - can you wear the device in the shower?

My watch is waterproof and what did in my FitBit was that I always forgot to take it off in the shower. I know I'll do similarly with the medallion if it's on a wristband.

No electronics.

A new question: in reading about the *****, one of the features is being able to reserve a seat in the theater. Thus, I assume all seats will be reserved in advance since all pax will have the *****. Since the theaters are really not big enough, even on the Regal/Royal, to seat all pax at the 2 evening performances, at least we might be able to get a seat if we reserve early enough. Unlike now when you have to get there 30 min. early to assure getting a seat.

The medallion comes with a wrist band. I am guessing you can purchase the necklace or other holders. I am still waiting to here back from Princess on how and where they can be obtained.

I have not read anywhere that the ***** comes with a wrist band...could you point out the information you used for that statement.

In the FAQs it states that the ***** is free & the ways passengers can wear it but not that they'll provide them.

How do I carry my Ocean Medallion?

You can wear your Medallion as a wristband or pendant, or just keep it in your pocket.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/ocean-faq/

Edited by Astro Flyer

A new question: in reading about the *****, one of the features is being able to reserve a seat in the theater. Thus, I assume all seats will be reserved in advance since all pax will have the *****. Since the theaters are really not big enough, even on the Regal/Royal, to seat all pax at the 2 evening performances, at least we might be able to get a seat if we reserve early enough. Unlike now when you have to get there 30 min. early to assure getting a seat.

It should prove interesting to see how they'll do that one.

I get there EARLY to get my chosen seat and now they want to assign seats prior to arrival?

I get there EARLY to get my chosen seat and now they want to assign seats prior to arrival?

This is done now at the newer movie theaters. Reserving seats online.

Arrive at the box w/o doing and you pick whatever is left.

If you want to see a play or show at home, generally the same. Nothing new by Princess if it comes to reserving.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

New elite perk, priority theater reservations? ;)

I feel the same way although in this video by their VP of Sales reserving seats before the cruise is one of the cool functions of *****.

I prefer the current system whereby those who arrive at the theater first get first choice of seats. A Princess Theater reservation system does not cost anything which makes it much different than in the example of buying movie or theater tickets at home. On Princess no shows don't lose any money; no shows with purchased movie & theater tickets will probably lose their money...that's a big difference.

Advance seat reservations may be good for passengers who arrive at showtime & get upset when there are no seats. The reason there are no seats is because other passengers arrive early to ensure having a seat which some passengers refuse to comprehend.

Princess has not disclosed the complete procedure but I see problems with it. How long are reserved seats held? Will early arriving passengers without reservations have to line up outside the theater in hopes of being seated? Will the entire theater be available to prereserve seats?

Princess promotes their cruise experience as to Escape Completely which for me doesn't include making a theater reservation in advance without knowing other options to enjoy my cruise. And being told onboard that a performance is soldout & I'd have to wait in line just in case there were any no shows is not what I expect on a Princess cruise.

I've read of some cruise lines who make advance seat reservations & have other passengers wait in line to see if they can be seated & some that charge a fee for performances. However those are just some of the reasons why I chose to not sail those cruise lines.

No electronics.

The disney wristband has a battery and 2 radios, include bluetooth LE;

it is not simply an RFID chip like some hotel room keys.

I think most people are assuming the princess dongle will be similar.

It may well be water proof to allow use in a pool, or on the beach,

but that doesn't mean 'no electronics'.

I feel the same way although in this video by their VP of Sales reserving seats before the cruise is one of the cool functions of *****.

I prefer the current system whereby those who arrive at the theater first get first choice of seats. A Princess Theater reservation system does not cost anything which makes it much different than in the example of buying movie or theater tickets at home. On Princess no shows don't lose any money; no shows with purchased movie & theater tickets will probably lose their money...that's a big difference.

Advance seat reservations may be good for passengers who arrive at showtime & get upset when there are no seats. The reason there are no seats is because other passengers arrive early to ensure having a seat which some passengers refuse to comprehend.

Princess has not disclosed the complete procedure but I see problems with it. How long are reserved seats held? Will early arriving passengers without reservations have to line up outside the theater in hopes of being seated? Will the entire theater be available to prereserve seats?

Princess promotes their cruise experience as to Escape Completely which for me doesn't include making a theater reservation in advance without knowing other options to enjoy my cruise. And being told onboard that a performance is soldout & I'd have to wait in line just in case there were any no shows is not what I expect on a Princess cruise.

I've read of some cruise lines who make advance seat reservations & have other passengers wait in line to see if they can be seated & some that charge a fee for performances. However those are just some of the reasons why I chose to not sail those cruise lines.

So now instead of getting to the lounge early we'll be sitting in front of our TV screen waiting for reservations to open up. LOL :p

I'll make sure I arrive 1 minute prior to my "reserved seat" being given up for grabs to the general public. ;)

I can see a new twist coming very shortly.....a Club Class section so that people can arrive any time & have their seat waiting for them. (at a low price of only X amount of dollars per cruise) :D

The disney wristband has a battery and 2 radios, include bluetooth LE;

it is not simply an RFID chip like some hotel room keys.

I think most people are assuming the princess dongle will be similar.

It may well be water proof to allow use in a pool, or on the beach,

but that doesn't mean 'no electronics'.

You're much more technology knowledgeable than me but I learned some new things about the ***** technology in this article...is there anything you could add?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/carnival-ocean-medallion-5-takeaways-from-one-of-2017s-premier-iot-projects/

So now instead of getting to the lounge early we'll be sitting in front of our TV screen waiting for reservations to open up. LOL :p

I'll make sure I arrive 1 minute prior to my "reserved seat" being given up for grabs to the general public. ;)

I can see a new twist coming very shortly.....a Club Class section so that people can arrive any time & have their seat waiting for them. (at a low price of only X amount of dollars per cruise) :D

In addition to a Club Class section maybe they'll generate additional income from a seat reservation fee? ;)

Well, with the Medallion, wouldn't they know that the guest is a no-show? Maybe their signage around the ship will hound the person with a "hey, aren't you supposed to be in the theater" message... ;p

You're much more technology knowledgeable than me but I learned some new things about the ***** technology in this article...is there anything you could add?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/carnival-ocean-medallion-5-takeaways-from-one-of-2017s-premier-iot-projects/

Interesting article, and thanks for pointing it out. I think the "chief experience and innovation officer" is incapable of opening his mouth without spouting sixteen meaningless buzzwords.

Well, with the Medallion, wouldn't they know that the guest is a no-show? Maybe their signage around the ship will hound the person with a "hey, aren't you supposed to be in the theater" message... ;p

And maybe that cute little friendly tropical fish Ocean Tagalomg will become a snarling Great White shark when late for anything...or when not spending enough money. ;p

Edited by Astro Flyer

So now instead of getting to the lounge early we'll be sitting in front of our TV screen waiting for reservations to open up

Show lounge reservations would be a nice perk for medallion class cruisers.

Zero cost to princess.

I don't know, but I loved this quote...

"Each medallion will be laser etched with the user's name , ship and date of sailing and will come pre-loaded with personally identifying information."

In this case, I think PII means an RFID key that will let some system retrieve

info about the user -- cabin number, etc. -- who knows -- maybe extended to

favorite drink, or elapsed time since last drink.

But PII usually has a more ominous meaning -- like enough information to

identify an individual. For instance SSN + DOB + Address

No wonder some of the posters are concerned.