Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

I don't remember seeing anything about a smartphone being required. That doesn't make sense to me since not everyone uses a smartphone and many who do don't carry it around with them on a ship. Would Princess limit their customers to only those who have and carry a smartphone? Doesn't seem logical to me. Guess we'll see come November!

Tom

"It is available online, on smart devices, on kiosks in port terminals, on stateroom TVs, on interactive surfaces located throughout the cruise ship and on devices carried by crew members. . . . No guest is required to have a personal device to access Ocean Compass."

If you don't have (or don't care to use) a smartphone, there are multiple other methods to access your account.

Will I be able to opt out of or turn off this new technology?

"If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion Class experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" and enjoy the cruise the same great way you do today."

Translation: No, you won't be able to opt out or turn off this new technology. You can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" but we will still track you, we will just hide the results from you and others.

That's what I thought. Actual privacy is not preventing you from having the information, it is the cruise line respecting a passenger's request to not be tracked and respecting their request for privacy.

Will I be able to opt out of or turn off this new technology?

"If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion Class experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" and enjoy the cruise the same great way you do today."

Translation: No, you won't be able to opt out or turn off this new technology. You can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" but we will still track you, we will just hide the results from you and others.

Edited by mek
Just put the darn thing in a RFID sleeve so it can't be read.

That's what I thought. Actual privacy is not preventing you from having the information, it is the cruise line respecting a passenger's request to not be tracked and respecting their request for privacy.

Signing up for medallion class is optional. However they can still track your spending and where about when ever your card is swiped. I'm sure that also includes the room. Personally I hope that few people use the service. I just want to get on the ship without having to stand in a check in line. If too many people opt in for the device it may be faster to check in at the desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Iamcruzin

Just had a thought and I don't think this issue has come up before in this thread: will they be doing away with Patters?? Would seem logical that they would since we'll all be able to access that info electronically. Call me a dinosaur, but I prefer the written word to looking stuff up on a screen, where you probably can't see the whole day at a time to plan what you want to do (most applicable on sea days).

Just had a thought and I don't think this issue has come up before in this thread: will they be doing away with Patters?? Would seem logical that they would since we'll all be able to access that info electronically. Call me a dinosaur, but I prefer the written word to looking stuff up on a screen, where you probably can't see the whole day at a time to plan what you want to do (most applicable on sea days).

I would imagine that they will still have the patters at least while they are still issuing cards. One thing to consider is that if there is a change in time or location of an event you were going to attend they would be able to update the information with the medallion and notify you instantly. Those with reading from the patter may show up at the wrong time or location if they miss the PA announcement.

That'll never happen, especially when the're are a good number of older Princess cruisers who don't even have a cell phone. How will they entice people to spend money at all of the places like bingo, spa services, gym activities, etc.

I would imagine that they will still have the patters at least while they are still issuing cards. One thing to consider is that if there is a change in time or location of an event you were going to attend they would be able to update the information with the medallion and notify you instantly. Those with reading from the patter may show up at the wrong time or location if they miss the PA announcement.

Having done 30 Princess cruises, I don't remember any time or venue changes. If that would happen, presumably they'd make an annoucement.

Just had a thought and I don't think this issue has come up before in this thread: will they be doing away with Patters??

I can't see them doing away with the Patters completely but it might make sense if they reduce their production and make it an option. For example it might just be something that your steward asks you on the first day. Would you like a paper version left with your chocolate, yes or no?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That'll never happen, especially when the're are a good number of older Princess cruisers who don't even have a cell phone. How will they entice people to spend money at all of the places like bingo, spa services, gym activities, etc.

But everyone will have a medallion once that system starts and that's supposed to be the pax guide to everything they need to know. Perhaps there will be a time when both medallions and patters co-exist, but I don't imagine it will be long since presumably they trying to avoid the time & money spent putting patters together and printing them.

Of course, they would love to eliminate the printed Princess Patters. Keep in mind that the Princess Patters have been available to SmartPhone/Tablet/PC users via Princess@Sea for some time, now.

Of course quite a few passengers do not own any of these technologies, and others do not care to use them if they are trying to get away from it all. However, two impending developoments could lead to the elimination of the printed Princess Patters--the installation of the public kiosks referenced in the Medallion announcements and the upgrading of the cabin TVs so that whatever is available on Princess@Sea can be displayed. Once these implementations are complete, they will be able to consider eliminating the printed copies.

Whether or not they do so. . . .

The photo I saw had this silly looking bracelet which looked too bulky to put in your pocket, but maybe there are other choices. I will say, though, that I am not paying for something to replace the bracelet. In the wonderful world of cruise upcharges, just on principle, I definitely draw the line before paying for accessories so I can use my sea pass.

I look at it this way - I only have to buy the bracelet, necklace or whichever accessory I choose once, and then I can use it for all the other cruises I have planned in the future. Not really that much different than buying one of their lanyards.

I look at it this way - I only have to buy the bracelet, necklace or whichever accessory I choose once, and then I can use it for all the other cruises I have planned in the future. Not really that much different than buying one of their lanyards.

I'd venture to say they'll be all varieties from cheap to 14 carat gold.

Your only option is to not sign up for an Ocean Medallion Class ship; if you sign up for an OCM ship, you get a medallion -- no opting in or out.

What is an OCM ship? If it's a ship that's wired for the medallion, Princess has already stated that, at least right now, you can opt to use the cruise card if that is your desire. Sooner or later, of course, that is not going to be an option, I'm sure.

Tom

Oops, sorry, OMC, Ocean Medallion Class; and not to revive this discussion, but where do you think Princess said you can opt out? Everything I've seen indicates otherwise.

Edited by latserrof
accuracy

There is a link to a Cruise Critic article below that mentions the use of key cards being optional on Medallion Class, but I don't know how that will work if you have to carry the medallion with you while on board.

As for carrying the medallion; personally, I was thinking along the lines of carrying it my pocket like they said; but in one of the spare ID Stronghold sleeves I have for my credit & and debit cards. No fuss, no muss no extra expense and NO tracking. But, I will probably get called to Guest Services, if I do that. They will think something is wrong with my medallion, because it will be intermittently disappearing and reappearing, as I wander around the ship. I will know more about it on November 15th when I get off the Regal following their preview OCEAN Medallion Class sailing. Until then I am trying to keep an open mind on the OCEAN Medallion Class, however it is getting harder by the day; and there is a lot of conflicting information out there about the program.

Just read through those FAQ from the Princess Web Page; I see several discrepancies.

The first sentence in ‘What is the Ocean Medallion?says the medallions are free and the very next itemWill I need to pay for my Ocean Medallion?they say they have added it into the price of your cruise fare. Which is it free or they charging you for it as part of you cruise fare; and does that apply to it being shipped to you free also?

The last sentence of “What is the Ocean Medallion? says you have to carry it with you while you are on board. That leads me to believe there is a lot more to it than just opening doors and buying things. Are they unconsciously admitting to something tracking?

ThenWill I be able to opt out of or turn off this new technology?, which appears to be a simple yes or no question to me; is answered in a way that indicates the answer is NO but doesn’t specifically say so.But the last sentence under Privacy Concerns?says any guest can opt out of any services at any time (?). And what is the"Safety Only" setting anyway? I can’t find it explained anywhere on the Princess website.

All those words about how great their security is (in “Privacy Concerns?”) after working may years in IT, with the last five or so dealing specifically with IP Network Security and Configuration Compliance; they all say that until they are hacked, just read the privacy notices you get for your bank accounts and credit cards. But as soon as they get hacked; they run around looking for someone to blame for the data breach. They are correct however in the information is not stored on the medallion itself. The only thing in the medallion is a unique code that the computer, the sensors are connected to, recognizes as you.

In Princess’s way of providing non-answer answers, the following was the last question in a list of the most popular questions (FAQ’s) about the OCEAN Medallion Class from an article on Cruise Critic byCarolyn Spencer Brown, (Editor in Chief) back in January and while not directly answering the question, strongly hints at they can only track you while you are onboard for now, anyway. Strangely enough that article is the only place I remember seeing anything saying anyone wanting to use a key card instead of a medallion could do so.

(link to article: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7442 )

“Can the medallion track passengers off the ship?

The medallion uses scensor-based technology, meaning it is designed to work wherever wired scensoring is in place (on Medallion Class ships). Eventually, some private islands as well as Port Everglades and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport will be outfitted with the technology to extend the service to land.”

Oops, sorry, OMC, Ocean Medallion Class; and not to revive this discussion, but where do you think Princess said you can opt out? Everything I've seen indicates otherwise.

It was right at the start when the medallion was first announced. It was stated that "Should you not want to be involved with the Medallion, then you will be able to use the standard cruise card." or words quite similar to that. I may or may not have a document around that contains that info, I don't know. While it was not stated how long such a choice would be around, common sense would say that that would be, as they used to say, a "limited time offer." I suspect it would be given an end date or a "till no more cruise cards remained in the supply chain", whichever came first. But that statement was made quite clearly.

Tom

Of course, they would love to eliminate the printed Princess Patters. Keep in mind that the Princess Patters have been available to SmartPhone/Tablet/PC users via Princess@Sea for some time, now.

Of course quite a few passengers do not own any of these technologies, and others do not care to use them if they are trying to get away from it all. However, two impending developoments could lead to the elimination of the printed Princess Patters--the installation of the public kiosks referenced in the Medallion announcements and the upgrading of the cabin TVs so that whatever is available on Princess@Sea can be displayed. Once these implementations are complete, they will be able to consider eliminating the printed copies.

Whether or not they do so. . . .

Many people take the Patter on shore so they have the port agent's contact information.

No function of utilizing Medallion technology (which is only transmitting a coded ID number to Princess computers) is usable in port. Using the associated technology requires a screen device that is communicating with a Princess on-board computer.

It was right at the start when the medallion was first announced. It was stated that "Should you not want to be involved with the Medallion, then you will be able to use the standard cruise card." or words quite similar to that. I may or may not have a document around that contains that info, I don't know. While it was not stated how long such a choice would be around, common sense would say that that would be, as they used to say, a "limited time offer." I suspect it would be given an end date or a "till no more cruise cards remained in the supply chain", whichever came first. But that statement was made quite clearly.

You have probably been in hotels that use a "standard" card that you put next to a sensor on your door to unlock the door to your room.

That is essentially what the Medallion does.

If you opt to use a cruise card instead, it will not be the traditional one, but one with technology like the hotels use. These cards are already in use on some ships such as the Majestic and are the reason they will not punch a hole in the card for you because it can destroy the electronics.

I liked Disney's Magic Band and easy to wear and use. With Princess medallion unless it in something it will get lost.

The medallion comes with a wrist band. I am guessing you can purchase the necklace or other holders. I am still waiting to here back from Princess on how and where they can be obtained.

Disney has had the wrist bands for a good while and they work great. I'll wait and see how it goes.

There are some crazy images going in my head though. The comedians should have some fun with this.

I love the wristbands on Anthem of the Seas. I loved that I did not have to put everything down to open the cabin doors, or worry about leaving my S&S card inside the room.

The medallion comes with a wrist band. I am guessing you can purchase the necklace or other holders. I am still waiting to here back from Princess on how and where they can be obtained.

I love the wristbands on Anthem of the Seas. I loved that I did not have to put everything down to open the cabin doors, or worry about leaving my S&S card inside the room.

I know that no one has the medallion yet but for people who've experienced similar items on other cruiselines - can you wear the device in the shower?

My watch is waterproof and what did in my FitBit was that I always forgot to take it off in the shower. I know I'll do similarly with the medallion if it's on a wristband.

I know that no one has the medallion yet but for people who've experienced similar items on other cruiselines - can you wear the device in the shower?

My watch is waterproof and what did in my FitBit was that I always forgot to take it off in the shower. I know I'll do similarly with the medallion if it's on a wristband.

Yes I you can wear it all the time.

Signing up for medallion class is optional. However they can still track your spending and where about when ever your card is swiped. I'm sure that also includes the room. Personally I hope that few people use the service. I just want to get on the ship without having to stand in a check in line. If too many people opt in for the device it may be faster to check in at the desk.

It was great when we had the check in on Anthem. They scanned our paper work with an IPad and on the ship we went. Our wristbands were in our room. One card was in the slot outside our room in a sealed envelope.

I am sure with the medallion check in will be similar. They will scan your medallion and you are on the ship.