Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

It should prove interesting to see how they'll do that one.

I get there EARLY to get my chosen seat and now they want to assign seats prior to arrival?

I'm interested to see how this plays out.....:):):)

Bob

I don't know, but I loved this quote...

"Each medallion will be laser etched with the user's name , ship and date of sailing and will come pre-loaded with personally identifying information."

In this case, I think PII means an RFID key that will let some system retrieve

info about the user -- cabin number, etc. -- who knows -- maybe extended to

favorite drink, or elapsed time since last drink.

But PII usually has a more ominous meaning -- like enough information to

identify an individual. For instance SSN + DOB + Address

No wonder some of the posters are concerned.

Appreciate sharing your insights...thanks.

I can also understand the concerns of some passengers but CCL is making a sizable investment with the goal of increasing profits. I originally thought that Carnival would be a better place to create this new system. However maybe it's another way to differentiate Princess from HAL to attract more younger passengers to PCL.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Show lounge reservations would be a nice perk for medallion class cruisers.

Zero cost to princess.

No Princess showroom has numbered rows and seats. If you are to actually be able to reserve a specific seat, then they will all have to be labeled. And ushers will be needed to guide people to their specific seats.

I have not read anywhere that the ***** comes with a wrist band...could you point out the information you used for that statement.

In the FAQs it states that the ***** is free & the ways passengers can wear it but not that they'll provide them.

I read in their early announcement that the medallions came with a wristband, but cannot find it now.

Below is a screenshot from the Princess video regarding *****.

2efd920e3ae00602558d5b48a1b1b544.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think we both should get some sort of employee of the month award!

I would hope that they at least let the Elites/Suites get a jump on selecting seating. Say an hour before the next group, Platinum, etc.

No Princess showroom has numbered rows and seats. If you are to actually be able to reserve a specific seat, then they will all have to be labeled. And ushers will be needed to guide people to their specific seats.

What a mess they've created.

I

What a mess they've created.

Or WE'VE created!!! ;p

No Princess ship has reserved seating.

No official word on doing this.

It's all rumor and innuendo that we on this board have started. ;)

Or WE'VE created!!! ;p

Listening to the video along the way they've implied very strongly that there would be reserved seating. (I truly hope not).

Norwegian does it today, where one can reserve a particular show, not a seat and suite passengers have a reserved section. They have this need as they have actual Broadway shows. There is no reason Princess couldn't do the same.However Princess would have to up its main theater entertainment from the current stale production shows to generate this need or demand

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suggest you take a look at the Princess video, a smartphone plays a predominate role in the Medallion video, and it suggests that you'll get the most out of the Medallion experience with your "personal electronic device"

Required ??.... Probably not, but ????

Srpilo

My take from all the vids and ads is the device will work to let you on the ship (face matching tech), pay for items, track your location, etc. If you want dinner reservations, seating in the theater (sic), buy a tour, etc., you will need an interactive device: the "personal electronic device" also known as a smartphone or pad, via Bluetooth. Other than that its a "dumb" device that identifies you to the ship and your location on the ship, such as showing up for the dinner reservation.

Its a first step. It will make cards obsolete. I personally do not like the location tracking these devices provide. From the ship's perspective they will now be able to manage passenger flow, count numbers at entertainment events, offer immediate discounts for underused restaurants, and have a current account of who is/is not on board, to include anyone "falling" overboard. Of course, if you really wanted to "fall" overboard you could always leave the tracker in your room or at a bar and the ship would not be wiser. Question then becomes if my wife doesn't want to wear it to dinner on a formal night will that constitute a violation of the use policy? Will she be ostracized for not having it on her person?

Edited by Globehoppers

My take from all the vids and ads is the device will work to let you on the ship (face matching tech), pay for items, track your location, etc. If you want dinner reservations, seating in the theater (sic), buy a tour, etc., you will need an interactive device: the "personal electronic device" also known as a smartphone or pad, via Bluetooth. Other than that its a "dumb" device that identifies you to the ship and your location on the ship, such as showing up for the dinner reservation.

Its a first step. It will make cards obsolete. I personally do not like the location tracking these devices provide. From the ship's perspective they will now be able to manage passenger flow, count numbers at entertainment events, offer immediate discounts for underused restaurants, and have a current account of who is/is not on board, to include anyone "falling" overboard. Of course, if you really wanted to "fall" overboard you could always leave the tracker in your room or at a bar and the ship would not be wiser. Question then becomes if my wife doesn't want to wear it to dinner on a formal night will that constitute a violation of the use policy? Will she be ostracized for not having it on her person?

Wouldn't it make it easier to track the floating body in the water if the person carried their Medallion? :D:D

I can't see them doing away with the Patters completely but it might make sense if they reduce their production and make it an option. For example it might just be something that your steward asks you on the first day. Would you like a paper version left with your chocolate, yes or no?

Hopefully there are sensible enough to do it the way you suggest. It's easier to bring a light piece of paper along and glance at it quickly when needed as opposed to dragging around a cellphone and firing that puppy up every time. I also bring them home for my vacation scrapbook and reference when someone asks about something. A lot of reasons to keep them. I am not anti-tech. In my work I am linked 24/7 to several computers and 2 cellphones, so part of the joy of vacationing in leaving the electronic chains at home.

Edited by Evangaline

I am not anti-tech. In my work I am linked 24/7 to several computers and 2 cellphones, so part of the joy of vacationing in leaving the electronic chains at home.

So true!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Or WE'VE created!!! ;p

Rumor & innuendo?

It's based on this video by the Princess VP of North America Sales (John Chernesky) who not only has created Princess's ***** promotional videos but also ones that promote their sales.

He states from the Princess Theater "I'm actually gonna sit in the seat I reserved, using the Ocean Compass, before I even got on the cruise. So this is a pretty cool feature. Excuse me, folks, is this seat taken?".

I became aware of his video when my TA forwarded an email from Princess promoting Ocean Medallion which is not baseless rumor & innuendo. His statement asking if a seat is taken seems to be an indication that a reserved seat might be in a certain section of the theater & not a particular numbered seat.

But he clearly states that he reserved a seat before the cruise by using his Ocean Compass. While that could change before ***** is first implemented in November, the ability to prereserve a theater seat is not merely "all rumor and innuendo that we on this board have started" but is based on the statement of the Princess VP of North America Sales.

I read in their early announcement that the medallions came with a wristband, but cannot find it now.

Below is a screenshot from the Princess video regarding *****.

2efd920e3ae00602558d5b48a1b1b544.png

Thanks for the screenshot of what we'll receive including a wristband. That's a different one than I've seen in other promotional material which might be promoting cool wristbands which like the necklace are of course available for purchase. ;)

Thanks for the screenshot of what we'll receive including a wristband. That's a different one than I've seen in other promotional material which might be promoting cool wristbands which like the necklace are of course available for purchase. ;)

Don't fret, your wife will want the necklace sold in the shops for only $29.95. ;p

Rumor & innuendo?

It's based on this video by the Princess VP of North America Sales (John Chernesky) who not only has created Princess's ***** promotional videos but also ones that promote their sales.

He states from the Princess Theater "I'm actually gonna sit in the seat I reserved, using the Ocean Compass, before I even got on the cruise. So this is a pretty cool feature. Excuse me, folks, is this seat taken?".

Wow. Good catch.

I thought Royal Caribbean already had this sort of thing for their largest ships...

Yeah, probably. If this is accurate, I like these better.

Don't fret, your wife will want the necklace sold in the shops for only $29.95. ;p

That necklace is hideous. You couldn't pay me to wear it.

Yeah, probably. If this is accurate, I like these better.

Both of us much prefer the wristband that's shown in the medallion's box. ;p

Although we'll have to wait until the OMs are mailed to passengers to learn if the wristband is free or if that's a paid option to purchase prior to mailing the *****.

Showing my wife the necklace she wouldn't wear it & would give me the ***** to pocket it whenever she's not carrying a purse during the evening. For casual dress during the day, maybe they'll replace the lanyard's clip with an ***** holder to sell in the gift shop. Or would sell a small holder like the necklace that could be clipped to current lanyards.

I read that ***** is the size of a quarter...wonder how many will be lost or go through the laundry. I see photos of wearing them in a pool but it's doubtful it'd survive washing, drying & pressing. Obviously that could happen with cruise cards but the ***** is about 1/6 the size of cruise cards & would be more easily misplaced. ;)

There are so many unanswerable questions about ***** & even current answers are all subject to change as Princess strives to provide the experiences they're promising. Just like the less technologically advanced Princess@Sea system, ***** will be a work in progress for quite awhile.

Both of us much prefer the wristband that's shown in the medallion's box. ;p

Although we'll have to wait until the OMs are mailed to passengers to learn if the wristband is free or if that's a paid option to purchase prior to mailing the *****.

Showing my wife the necklace she wouldn't wear it & would give me the ***** to pocket it whenever she's not carrying a purse during the evening. For casual dress during the day, maybe they'll replace the lanyard's clip with an ***** holder to sell in the gift shop. Or would sell a small holder like the necklace that could be clipped to current lanyards.

I read that ***** is the size of a quarter...wonder how many will be lost or go through the laundry. I see photos of wearing them in a pool but it's doubtful it'd survive washing, drying & pressing. Obviously that could happen with cruise cards but the ***** is about 1/6 the size of cruise cards & would be more easily misplaced. ;)

There are so many unanswerable questions about ***** & even current answers are all subject to change as Princess strives to provide the experiences they're promising. Just like the less technologically advanced Princess@Sea system, ***** will be a work in progress for quite awhile.

I'm probably just going to pocket it since most times I have pockets. The though of having to wear another wrist band doesn't cut it for me.

Rumor & innuendo?

And of course you remember the Promotional video for the Royal Princess which said there would be two "glass" pianos near each other in the atrium.

Many cruise ships have you put your key card in the slot in your cabin to keeps your lights on. How does that part work now?

As it stands now any card will work in the slot (including a piece of stiff paper). If they're nothing in the slot the lights will go out in about a minuet or so.

My guess is that is was suppose to work only with a persons cruise card but that wasn't the case.

When the Medallions come into effect who knows?

Many cruise ships have you put your key card in the slot in your cabin to keeps your lights on. How does that part work now?

i don't think Princess does this. not any of their ships i've seen anyways.

I know a few Norwegian ships do, but that about the only ones I can recall seeing.