Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

And then -- if I wish to receive a drink as soon as I arrive in the theater after dinner the waiter and I must know WHERE I will be seated. Does this mean we will then be required to select a seat in advance? Must I then arrive at a predetermined time? ???????

That's where the tracking sensors that "see" the medallion come in, they'll be able to tell where you're sitting.

Like Thrak, we will be on CB in January of 2018 and it will be interesting to see how Princess rolls this out.

Nope. Starts on March 18 for Caribbean. From the Princess site:

CARIBBEAN PRINCESS®

Starting March 18, 2018

I'd be happy to try it out on Emerald this coming fall but it's only supposed to go to three ships so far:

Regal - November 13, 2017

Royal - January 19, 2018

Caribbean - March 18, 2018

This is a frightening development :(. While it sound good, it could be used for some very nasty surprises. For example, we see a trend to have ala carte surcharges in MDRs and even some alternative restaurants. With this type of system, you would order items and automatically have the cost added to your onboard account. This will encourage the cruise lines to tack on sur charges for many MDR items, drinks, etc. And they could even have surcharges for the best seats in the theater. Sit in a certain well-located seat and you are automatically charged an extra fee. ARGH!

Hank

Wouldn't you say that there they should have a price next to any item that's extra?

I suspect you will need to be very close to the door to unlock it.

Cars have had similar technology for years, with my car if I try to unlock with my left hand, key in right pocket I need to be facing square on for it to work, side on is no good.

Don't lose that key. It can be quite expensive to replace.

Mine cost $2 at the local Ace hardware store...and can't be hacked either.

I for one are interested in seeing how this works. I will be on Regal in Feb 2018 so hopefully all the kinks are sorted by then.

Also they say they will send it to your home for you before you leave. Interesting to see how that works for People that do not live in the US. I am from Australia and will be leaving about 1 week before the cruise so wondering when or how I will receive it!

Chez

". . . don't have to use the medallion or can limit how much they want to participate, Carnival CEO Arnold Donald said."

Obviously you didn't read the article - the medallion is not mandatory. So not using it won't keep someone out of their cabin.

/QUOTE]

Thank you! That's what I thought. Its use is optional and there will still be cruise cards for those that want them.

And besides, I don't see how they will be able to punch a hole in it so I can put it on a lanyard. :D

Thank you! That's what I thought. Its use is optional and there will still be cruise cards for those that want them.

And besides, I don't see how they will be able to punch a hole in it so I can put it on a lanyard. :D

They'll be selling plenty of ways to carry them in the shops. :rolleyes:

Hi -- thought your point was a really good one: "Change isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is just hard to accept sometimes. I think this one could be a winner as long as the helpful suggestions don't become too obtrusive like all the announcements for the art auctions." You hit the nail on the head re avoiding intrusiveness. The whole point of the interactive function of this Ocean Medallion/Ocean Concierge combination is to create conveniences (like on-demand food delivery) and options (letting you know about events that you clearly have indicated there's an interest in). It's to get rid of those incessant piles of paper hawking art auctions and jewelry sails to everyone, and really honing in on what matters, hypothetically, to me. Or you. Not the masses.

What's really cool about this is that it has the potentially to take a big ship cruise with all the options we've come to expect and yet give it a more personal, more individual feeling....

Carolyn

On the one hand it does sound interesting and innovative and perhaps will enhance the cruise experience. On the other hand it is frightening in that your every move will be tracked and stored, so much for privacy. Although I do see somewhere that the passenger may be able to fine tune it a bit.

I actually read a different article. http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/carnival-s-ocean-medallion-class-harnesses-technology-to-personalize-cruising.html .

Did anyone notice the evil word "class" in that article? I wonder if there will be an extra charge for Medallion Class, how it will effect elite and platinum boarding benefits, and if only certain cabins will have access to this. Like Club Class. Which I am no way opposed to, at least not until I have experienced it first hand. I just have spent too much time reading the threads with all the club class angst. I guess I will experience in December on the Regal Princess, while enjoying my club class dining.

Change isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is just hard to accept sometimes. I think this one could be a winner as long as the helpful suggestions don't become too obtrusive like all the announcements for the art auctions.

It's waterproof GUT2407. And security is a huge priority for the developers. Here's what John Padgett, Carnival Corporation's chief innovation officer, told me about security:

"We’re far more secure than current methods. The encryption we use in the medallion is beyond financial institution and passport standards. Name and sail date that’s printed on the medallion, that’s the same the information printed on your keycard, that information is required to be there by the government. If you don’t have that you can’t embark and disembark the ship.

"There’s even another layer, if the medallion doesn’t have the info, where’s the info stored? On the system side, we use the most advanced security methods in the industry. Everything’s encrypted, tokenized, and anatomized. That allows us to meet and exceed emerging regulations. We’re on the forefront.

"Using the medallion on the ship employs what is called dual factor authentication. The dual factors when you’re doing commerce is you’re holding the medallion and the other is the crew member on the other side of the transaction has access to your security photo. Our security model is way."

Carolyn

Security is my biggest question.

Also is it waterproof.

There'll be a system in place to make sure they get it to you in time. And if not, there's a kiosk in the terminal where those who have registered from home but haven't yet received their medallion can simply pick it up.

Carolyn

I for one are interested in seeing how this works. I will be on Regal in Feb 2018 so hopefully all the kinks are sorted by then.

Also they say they will send it to your home for you before you leave. Interesting to see how that works for People that do not live in the US. I am from Australia and will be leaving about 1 week before the cruise so wondering when or how I will receive it!

Chez

Thrak, you pretty much nailed the Big Brother concern with your comment, "he same people who are worried likely already have Facebook accounts and receive targeted advertisements in their browser. Big Brother is not coming. He has been here for quite a while."

Carolyn

Common error. Luddites want to tear down and destroy the technology. The folks here may not want to use it and some may even fear it but that doesn't actually make the Luddites.

There seems to be so much angst about this it's amazing. The same people who are worried likely already have Facebook accounts and receive targeted advertisements in their browser. Big Brother is not coming. He has been here for quite a while.

I intend to wait and see how this technology works out. Of course Princess isn't know for their tech wizardry but it sounds as if they are going to implement this tech and I plan to continue sailing with Princess.

I may not have a flying car yet but the "future" is here. I already have a house full of "science fiction" items such as a microwave, color TV, WiFi, computers, etc. This is just one more item for people to get used to - kind of like indoor plumbing. That was a pretty big innovation. Many people were of the "who in heck needs that?" group when inside toilet facilities were new.

Thanks, beg3yrs, your description of the technology pretty much goes along with what I've heard from the team at Carnival Corporation. In a nutshell, here's the description we've heard:

The technology is not quite the same as that that was created for Disney's bands. Acccording to Carnival Corporation, the Ocean Medallion and Concierge operate using several technologies, including Near Field Communication (NFC) and Blue Tooth Energy (BTE).

Using that, the designers of the new system that Carnival's creating, proprietarily, xIOS. This stands for Experience Innovation Operating System, which is "an invisible network of interactive, intelligent sensors and embedded devices installed throughout the ship to create this experience."

Carolyn

Yes I know you're being facetious here but ... somewhere in the articles it says the device is not powered so, no electric shock will be possible.

Sounds like it's technology similar to RFID where transmitters around the ship send out "pings" and the device is configured to use the ping energy itself to issue a response. The response is simply a unique number (same number everytime). Other than that, no information is provided. What then happens is that number corresponds to a computer record unique to each passenger and that is stored in the ship's system. There is no passenger personal information stored in the medallion itself.

I guess a medallion the size of a quarter is better than a subdural implant. ;)

The medallion may be the size of a quarter, but you can bet there will be medallion holders. :D

Vision a madallion holder the size of a coffee saucer. :) on a heavy gold chain, or on those cheesy colored lanyards for the fashion conscious PAX, and sold in the shipboard boutique. :cool:

Maybe the medallions will be in colors to identify your loyalty status. "Hey, look at me" mine is black, and hanging around my neck on a gold chain, I'm Elite. :cool::cool:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Not everyone has a smartphone--including me--but it looks like this is just another thing designed to force everyone to have one.:(

You don't need a smartphone to use the medallion. I think there was some reference about being able to book things through a smartphone which would then be available through the medallion. The alternative, for those without smartphones, was to book through your cabin TV.

The skeptic in me says this is less about Princess enhancing the guest experience and more about them mining for and using marketing data to increase contact sales opportunities and ancillary onboard revenue.

If you walk into a lounge and a staff member walks up and asks "Good afternoon, can I offer you something from the bar?" vs "Good afternoon Mr Miller, Welcome to the Vista Lounge, would you like a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc this afternoon?", what is your response? Princess is betting on the latter, more personal approach, yielding higher onboard revenues through suggestive/assumptive selling.

Personally I would rather see Princess enhance other aspects of their onboard product using technology - especially related to ATD! But that's another thread altogether :o

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Wouldn't you say that there they should have a price next to any item that's extra?

Don't lose that key. It can be quite expensive to replace.

Mine cost $2 at the local Ace hardware store...and can't be hacked either.

Anything can be hacked. Just ask John Podesta!

Hank

Not everyone has a smartphone--including me--but it looks like this is just another thing designed to force everyone to have one.:(

You can access it on your smartphone, tablet, laptop, cabin television, or kiosks around the ship. The kiosks, of course, make me think of noro transmitters. I prefer not to use public touch screens if possible.

I looked at the FAQs on one of those links above. still unsure what this is other than a way to track where you go and to supposedly get things (drinks, etc.) somehow. But other than that, what is the personal advantage? And it was unclear if this costs more (a higher fare to get this medallion?). somehow the phrase "common core" pops into my head -- that like those with PhD's in education came up with the common core concept to justify their jobs (and believe me, I doubt if you'll find many students, parents, and teachers, who feel the concepts are better than before)...some people came up with this concept and sold it to Princess as some great technological advancement.

Ah but how smart will it be? If I sit down in Crooners before dinner I will expect to be asked if I want my regular Pomegranate Martini - unless it's formal night when I'm wearing my blue kaftan and want a matching Blue Martini, or I'm wearing my pale violet evening top and want a Violetta Martini. :D

And when I come back to Crooners after dinner, will they know to offer me my favourite after dinner drink, Dom Benedictine?