Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

It sounds like the ships with it will be "Medallion Class" ships. Everyone on a ship so equipped will have a medallion.

It's replacing the cruise card. You'll need it to get into your cabin.

I wasn't cruising at the time when they replaced the traditional key with the programmable card. Was there an outcry then? :confused:

Time moves on and things change. ;)

No, read the articles again. The medallion is optional and cruise cards will still get you into your cabin.

Hmmm... I guess. But if you can limit what the medallion does to only opening your cabin door, then carrying it rather than the cruise card isn't much of a difference.

It sounds like the ships with it will be "Medallion Class" ships. Everyone on a ship so equipped will have a medallion.

It's replacing the cruise card. You'll need it to get into your cabin.

Actually you don't have to use the medallion if you don't want to do so. Its plainly stated in the release info. Those who are afraid of the technology or uncomfortable with it are free to continue on as they have in the past. Princess will happily issue you a standard cruise card.

Sure it can, just not in the same way. Much easier for someone to steal your car equipped with an old school key then the newer keyless cars with the fobs.

As you say, it can be hacked but from what I've recently seen it's beginning to become easier, quicker & more profitable (higher end models) to gain access to the cars with fobs than ever before.

Mahalo Nui Loa! :D

Listening to Elua singing some my favorite Hawaiian songs as we prepare for sailaway. We've been fortunate to have seen many of the songs performed by the original performers.

Listening to Bruddah Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow!

That is Louise's favorite song.

Mahalo Nui Loa! :D

Listening to Elua singing some my favorite Hawaiian songs as we prepare for sailaway. We've been fortunate to have seen many of the songs performed by the original performers.

Listening to Bruddah Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow!

Enjoy your time away! I look forward to hearing all about it!

Whoa! I read the ABC News article and came over here to see just how many folks would complain about something new even before it rolled out. OMG!

I can imagine that if something like Cruise Critic was around in 1928, there would be lots of complaints about sliced bread too.

Carnival Corp will be testing this system on the Regal. The article I read says they're keeping an open mind about how it will work out.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/cruise-company-carnival-personal-concierge-tech-44540335

I have never heard so much negativity for a new process. Let's maybe try it before we trash it.

I have never heard so much negativity for a new process. Let's maybe try it before we trash it.

But then it wouldn't be cruise critic if no one trashed anything new on a ship even though they don't know anything about it or had experience of it.

Nope. Starts on March 18 for Caribbean. From the Princess site:

CARIBBEAN PRINCESS®

Starting March 18, 2018

That means the CB will be getting an upgraded TV system with all the features that the Royal and Regal systems will have.

Edited by caribill

Personally I would rather see Princess enhance other aspects of their onboard product using technology - especially related to ATD!

The Medallion will let the ATD staff know you are supposed to be in a Traditional Dining Room.

And then -- if I wish to receive a drink as soon as I arrive in the theater after dinner the waiter and I must know WHERE I will be seated. Does this mean we will then be required to select a seat in advance? Must I then arrive at a predetermined time? ???????

No and no.

With 7000 sensors around the ship, the waiter can tell exactly where your medallion (and supposedly you) are at any time day or night.

Hi -- thought your point was a really good one: "Change isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is just hard to accept sometimes. I think this one could be a winner as long as the helpful suggestions don't become too obtrusive like all the announcements for the art auctions." You hit the nail on the head re avoiding intrusiveness. The whole point of the interactive function of this Ocean Medallion/Ocean Concierge combination is to create conveniences (like on-demand food delivery) and options (letting you know about events that you clearly have indicated there's an interest in). It's to get rid of those incessant piles of paper hawking art auctions and jewelry sails to everyone, and really honing in on what matters, hypothetically, to me. Or you. Not the masses.

To take advantage of functions like on-demand food delivery and letting you know about events, you need to carry with you a device such as a smart phone or a tablet to interact with your medallion. The medallion does not communicate directly with you.

Or, you can use one of the many digital screens around the ship to set this up.

I do not envision staff walking around the atrium and the pool area and the buffet reminding each individual who likes art auctions that one is about to start.

This release reminds me of Microsoft Software presentations years ago. If an opposition company announced the release of some new software then Microsoft would start the FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) and put on a presentation of their software that would be even better. The presentation was usually for some software that was only in the development stage and what you saw at the presentation was not the actual software but a screen mock up. Invariably when the software was released a lot of the features shown in the presentation were missing. The answer to that was, "oh, that was only the demo". This sounds much the same, some wiz bang features but many are impractical in real life.

The medallion system might be much further along than the "we will develop it" announcements such as Microsoft makes.

Consider that the BBC reported:

"The first ship to feature the system is the Regal Princess. 75 miles (121km) of cables, more than 7,000 sensors and 4,000 digital screens were installed in 10 days in Italy."

That takes some planning well in advance of implementation.

It's waterproof GUT2407. And security is a huge priority for the developers. Here's what John Padgett, Carnival Corporation's chief innovation officer, told me about security:

"We’re far more secure than current methods. The encryption we use in the medallion is beyond financial institution and passport standards. Name and sail date that’s printed on the medallion, that’s the same the information printed on your keycard, that information is required to be there by the government. If you don’t have that you can’t embark and disembark the ship.

"There’s even another layer, if the medallion doesn’t have the info, where’s the info stored? On the system side, we use the most advanced security methods in the industry. Everything’s encrypted, tokenized, and anatomized. That allows us to meet and exceed emerging regulations. We’re on the forefront.

"Using the medallion on the ship employs what is called dual factor authentication. The dual factors when you’re doing commerce is you’re holding the medallion and the other is the crew member on the other side of the transaction has access to your security photo. Our security model is way."

Carolyn

My question is what about the fact that it stated the kiosks give you turn by turn how to get to your room. What happens if someone loses it and doesn't realize it for awhile...now someone who finds it can pick it up take it to the kiosk find your room and enter and either steal or stay in the room and wait for you to return...especially for those single travelers. How does the door to your cabin know it is the people who belong in there opening the door?:eek:

My question is what about the fact that it stated the kiosks give you turn by turn how to get to your room. What happens if someone loses it and doesn't realize it for awhile...now someone who finds it can pick it up take it to the kiosk find your room and enter and either steal or stay in the room and wait for you to return...especially for those single travelers. How does the door to your cabin know it is the people who belong in there opening the door?:eek:

I imagine that you would have to punch in your room number along with having the medallion. (only a guess)

From a BBC report:

The first ship to feature the system is the Regal Princess. 75 miles (121km) of cables, more than 7,000 sensors and 4,000 digital screens were installed in 10 days in Italy.

4000 digital screens !!!

What are they for?