Was this Carnival Rep wrong?

xbriannao

Hello!

So I am not new to cruising, however I have only traveled to the Bahamas. I'm looking to cruise elsewhere and I called Carnival to ask if I needed a passport to go to some other ports, and before I could even name the ports, the representative told me it does not matter where I'm going, as long as the cruise leaves and comes back to the same place in the US you don't need a passport.

I've read something like this online before (a closed loop cruise doesn't need a passport) but along with that there was a specification that it was only to certain islands. I've also read that you can technically cruise to these other locations without a passport, but you won't be able to get on or off the boat without one.

I tried to ask the representative again to make sure she understood me, and she again said all I need is a birth certificate and ID to go to any location as long as my cruise leaves and comes back to the same place in the US.

Can someone clear this up for me? Like I said I'm aware about the closed loop thing, I just need someone to confirm I can go to Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Cayman Islands, Mexico, Grand Turk, etc. without a passport and still be able to get off the boat and explore.

Yes, you will. Here is a page from Carnival. Most people do not even take their passports with them when they leave the ship in the Caribbean.

The major problem not having a passport is if you should have to fly home from a foreign country in an emergency.

Yes, you will. Here is a page from Carnival. Most people do not even take their passports with them when they leave the ship in the Caribbean.

The major problem not having a passport is if you should have to fly home from a foreign country in an emergency.

Okay, great! Thank you!

I have a passport, but only use it boarding the ship and then again going through customs when I get off. If I didn't have a passport birth certificate and Government issued photo ID would be enough as far as Carnival is concerned. I have been told that if an emergency should occur that a passport would be needed to fly back into the states. I've never taken my passport off the ship when going into a port. If it helps I've been to all those ports you mentioned and only take government issued photo ID and my sign n sail card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can go to all those places. The only stop in the Caribbean that I would be unsure of at this point is Cuba, I only say that because Cuba requires a visa for US citizen. I've never gone to a location that requires a visa without a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you cruise think about getting a passport. We have renewed ours so don't know what the cost of a new one is (renewing is less $ than getting a new one). But passports are good for ten years! Divide the cost by 10 and that how much it costs a year for TEN years. Then it doesn't seem that expensive.

Our passports go in our safe, never taken into a port but we do have a copy of the 'important' page we can take. A thief gets BIG bucks for stolen passports!

Edited by Bonnie J.

You can go to all those places. The only stop in the Caribbean that I would be unsure of at this point is Cuba, I only say that because Cuba requires a visa for US citizen. I've never gone to a location that requires a visa without a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it is not US regulations but foreign rules that limit the non-passport routes. Cuba must require a passport. They might revisit this if they want to encourage cruises. Of course if you are on a Miami around the world cruise you will of course need s passport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have to have passports for our upcoming cruise to the Panama Canal because it stops in Costa Rica. It was something our travel agent asked to make sure we had them and is also listed on Holland America's pages under "visa requirements" for our booking. Perhaps Carnival has worked out an exception to this requirement.

We were on Carnival again in November and did not need a passport for Costa Rica. We were there a few years ago too, not Carnival, and still didn't need a passport. I recommend getting them anyway!

We have had passports for about 15 years and they never leave our cabin safe. Years ago the ship used to hold all non us passports for the entire cruise but they don't do that anymore.

Hello!

So I am not new to cruising, however I have only traveled to the Bahamas. I'm looking to cruise elsewhere and I called Carnival to ask if I needed a passport to go to some other ports, and before I could even name the ports, the representative told me it does not matter where I'm going, as long as the cruise leaves and comes back to the same place in the US you don't need a passport.

I've read something like this online before (a closed loop cruise doesn't need a passport) but along with that there was a specification that it was only to certain islands. I've also read that you can technically cruise to these other locations without a passport, but you won't be able to get on or off the boat without one.

I tried to ask the representative again to make sure she understood me, and she again said all I need is a birth certificate and ID to go to any location as long as my cruise leaves and comes back to the same place in the US.

Can someone clear this up for me? Like I said I'm aware about the closed loop thing, I just need someone to confirm I can go to Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Cayman Islands, Mexico, Grand Turk, etc. without a passport and still be able to get off the boat and explore.

The rep was 100% correct. In the Caribbean, Gulf and Bahamas none of the stops that the mass market lines visit require a passport.

We have to have passports for our upcoming cruise to the Panama Canal because it stops in Costa Rica. It was something our travel agent asked to make sure we had them and is also listed on Holland America's pages under "visa requirements" for our booking. Perhaps Carnival has worked out an exception to this requirement.

You do not need a passport or visa to go to Costa Rica on a cruise. HAL and your TA are the ones with incorrect information, HOWEVER cruise lines can impose more stringent requirements than what the countries require.

I have a passport, but only use it boarding the ship and then again going through customs when I get off. If I didn't have a passport birth certificate and Government issued photo ID would be enough as far as Carnival is concerned. I have been told that if an emergency should occur that a passport would be needed to fly back into the states. I've never taken my passport off the ship when going into a port. If it helps I've been to all those ports you mentioned and only take government issued photo ID and my sign n sail card.

We also never take our passports out of our safe unless required to have it on our person by local laws. If an emergency happens, and you can't get back to the ship before it leaves, most, if not all, cruise lines will have security remove your passport if it is in your safe and turn it over to the port agent for you to retrieve when you finally arrive. I have even seen the transfer of these passports first hand while watching the departure activity from my balcony on a Celebrity ship.

Make sure you keep the passports in the safe. Security personnel will not look in drawers, in luggage, or anywhere but the safe if you aren't on the ship when it is leaving. This is according to a question I asked in a Q&A session after a presentation by a high ranking officer on a couple of ships I have been on.

Edited by sloopsailor