Any idea why all rooms would all of a sudden be gone?

kimstoess

I am booked on a cruise that leaves in 50 days. I have been watching for sales for a few months thinking about going from our balcony to Haven. On Saturday there were 16 2 bedrooms and all of a sudden they only have 1 guarantee room. Any idea why?

If you have really been monitoring on a daily basis, then it is very unlikely that all those rooms were truly bought up overnight by 16 individual customers, acting independently. They may have been booked by a big group (but so many Haven cabins, must be some group… :p) or handed over to a privileged "travel partner" that is authorized to sell them with special conditions that NCL doesn't want to offer to the general public.

Or it could just be NCL messing around with the inventory while they move people around (upgrades, GTY bookings), or temporarily suspending sales of this category for whatever operational purposes. The bottom line is that the rooms that you see available (or unavailable) at any given time on the website do not necessarily reflect the reality of current bookings, and of course the bookings can change a lot by the time your saildate comes along. All you can do is keep watching, and keep your fingers crossed for your upsell…

Our cruise and the one immediately afterwards is gone from the NCL site too. I am very worried that it has been cancelled. There are no other cruises with that itinerary anywhere close to that one and airfare is booked. I am hoping it is just sold out, but having a hard time believing it since it is 9 months away. I really hope it is not chartered because that would be so bad for us.

• 1 month later...
I am booked on a cruise that leaves in 50 days. I have been watching for sales for a few months thinking about going from our balcony to Haven. On Saturday there were 16 2 bedrooms and all of a sudden they only have 1 guarantee room. Any idea why?

Hi kimstoess, Did the availability ever re-appear?

We've got a similar problem. We found the perfect trip on Friday night and there was a lot of availability in all room types. We were busy with work on Friday so decided to leave it until the weekend. Checked online on Saturday morning, literally 10 hours later, and every single room is gone. :mad:

My theory on this (and something similar I noticed on our cruise at about the same time - 50 days out or so) is that at that point, NCL most likely believes they will not sell those rooms at full price. So, they pull those rooms if they believe they have enough upsell takers or bidders and begin the process of pre-assigning them. But, they do not actually upsell or assign them until the week before the cruise. And they keep a room or a guarantee category out there so those who will buy the room can do so. And the bidders who see this will also start upping their bids, thinking only one room is left. Granted, that is my theory. It's what I would consider doing if in their shoes. And I am not complaining, as accused on another thread. Simply stating how I believe it works and that there are likely plenty of those rooms left to buy outright if you so choose.

Just had similar happen on Breakaway. Spoke to an agent and ship has reached some sort of capacity so they lock our cabins.

Could be that the multi occupancy cabins are full rather than having just 2 occupants. Then the lifeboat limit may have been reached.

I was tracking my breakaway cruise for the bid process... between spa minis and all haven rooms there were over 50 available rooms on the 1st of Feb... 2 days later there was nothing left... kind of hard to believe.... was hoping to try the bid process and see if an upgrade was possible not doesnt seem likely

ohwell 2 weeks from now I will be at boat drill right now waiting for sail away!

My theory on this (and something similar I noticed on our cruise at about the same time - 50 days out or so) is that at that point, NCL most likely believes they will not sell those rooms at full price. So, they pull those rooms if they believe they have enough upsell takers or bidders and begin the process of pre-assigning them. But, they do not actually upsell or assign them until the week before the cruise. And they keep a room or a guarantee category out there so those who will buy the room can do so. And the bidders who see this will also start upping their bids, thinking only one room is left. Granted, that is my theory. It's what I would consider doing if in their shoes. And I am not complaining, as accused on another thread. Simply stating how I believe it works and that there are likely plenty of those rooms left to buy outright if you so choose.

This is what I think is happening as well as the exact same thing happened on my cruise right around 45-50 days a large number of havens all became unavailable the same day. I highly doubt they were booked out right. I think once they know they have enough upsells takers they pull them but don't assign them til the week before to the highest bidders.

This is what I think is happening as well as the exact same thing happened on my cruise right around 45-50 days a large number of havens all became unavailable the same day. I highly doubt they were booked out right. I think once they know they have enough upsells takers they pull them but don't assign them til the week before to the highest bidders.

Ah,,,, no.

They are not going to pull full fare rooms out of inventory so they can sell discounted upgrades. Their yield management hold revenue rooms until it is more financially advantageous to sell upgrades, but not 2 months out.

Ah,,,, no.

They are not going to pull full fare rooms out of inventory so they can sell discounted upgrades. Their yield management hold revenue rooms until it is more financially advantageous to sell upgrades, but not 2 months out.

Do you work for them? I have seen 2 different posts where they say the same thing happened and they thought they then had no chance since they changed to sold out about 45 days. Then the week before BINGO people got upsells even though it looked like none were available.

When we called NCL, we told them that we wanted to book... we are full price paying customers. The agent said she would contact the Miami office (as we called from the UK) and see what could be done, but said it was unlikely.

I don't understand why NCL would say no to our full payment and give up the cabin as a lesser price upgrade?!

On the US site, Breakaway has only two open cabins for March 26 sailing. They are the two Haven Deluxe Owner's Suites on deck 16.

Thanks. That's what we can see. That category is a bit out of our budget! At least we know that the sites are the same and no one can book the room we want.

Thanks. That's what we can see. That category is a bit out of our budget! At least we know that the sites are the same and no one can book the room we want.

All of the other march sailings have availability. Wonder if that week is the week that the local schools are on spring break. Doesn't explain them disappearing overnight but does explain them being sold out over a month out. If you can move your week forward or back you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All of the other march sailings have availability. Wonder if that week is the week that the local schools are on spring break. Doesn't explain them disappearing overnight but does explain them being sold out over a month out. If you can move your week forward or back you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes we've noticed that too. I've checked the term times of New York schools and there are no breaks on these dates. I wish we could move it to a different week, but it's a birthday celebration.

Called NCL again and they said they are not taking any more bookings for safety reasons. Really disappointed, so will look at a different cruise line. NCL don't want our money.

So I posted this on someone else's post. I did the same thing. I watched. I got an upsell offer and was waiting for a week to go by to see if they would send a second one. I had my eye on a specific room. Day before the new upsell email was to go out, All the rooms went away in the Haven, including the one I had hoped for. Within an hour or two I got the upsell email. I called. The room I was hoping to get was on the list of the upsells. So NCL is pulling the availability of rooms off line so they can offer them to people who would like to upsell. I got my room, btw. :) Call and ask about the upsells.

So I posted this on someone else's post. I did the same thing. I watched. I got an upsell offer and was waiting for a week to go by to see if they would send a second one. I had my eye on a specific room. Day before the new upsell email was to go out, All the rooms went away in the Haven, including the one I had hoped for. Within an hour or two I got the upsell email. I called. The room I was hoping to get was on the list of the upsells. So NCL is pulling the availability of rooms off line so they can offer them to people who would like to upsell. I got my room, btw. :) Call and ask about the upsells.

Thanks for your post. I asked them if it was due to upsells and they said it was for 'safety reasons'. I asked four times if all Haven rooms (other than the two deluxe owners suites, which are out of budget) had been taken and they wouldn't answer me, they were just very vague and repeated the 'safety reasons' line. I told them that I was a full fee paying passenger and would they consider selling to us rather than upgrading someone already booked.... 'no it's for safety reasons'?!