Poll: Instant Message Your Roll Call Friends

LauraS

Would you use a CC App to instant message your RollCall friends on board your cruise?  

2,275 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a CC App to instant message your RollCall friends on board your cruise?

• Yes - I would like members to instant message me on the ship
    • No - I would not like members to instant message me on the ship
    • Maybe, I'll tell you why in a post below

I voted no because I have stopped using the roll call area of CC. The limitations are well, just too limiting so we have moved to social media for roll calls instead. It would be nice if we could remove the limitations here but I don't count on that happening.

I am a bit curious as to what you are referring to regarding limitations and being too limiting re: roll calls. Our previous roll calls on CC have been pretty well utilized, so just on a personal note I am not sure what you are referring to. I have not really explored social media for a specific 'roll call' group.

Thanks

I am a bit curious as to what you are referring to regarding limitations and being too limiting re: roll calls. Our previous roll calls on CC have been pretty well utilized, so just on a personal note I am not sure what you are referring to. I have not really explored social media for a specific 'roll call' group.

Thanks

I haven't seen true roll calls on social media. I'll gladly stick with CC roll calls for organizing tours, etc. The cruise lines don't recognize those roll calls and then there would not be CC connections/meet&mingle parties they sponsor.

Hi everyone! We are traveling as a group of 5, grandma, grandpa, daughter, son and grandchild. We would like to join other groups that are going on excursions. We are very excited about this trip and would like to see as much as there is to see. Looking forward to meeting all of you!:)

I answered "maybe" for a couple of reasons. Many cruise lines already offer a low-cost onboard service to chat with friends that doesn't require purchasing Wi-Fi.

If I DO take that plunge and purchase Wi-Fi, then I'd be more inclined to use messenger apps from social media sites to communicate with friends and members of our CC roll call and social media cruise-specific groups.

Recent improvements in onboard Wi-Fi speeds have made it convenient and instantaneous. Heck, you can now make voice calls to home from aboard ship using social media messenger services using shipboard Wi-Fi -- using the middle, not fastest, Wi-Fi tier on Carnival. :cool:

So, the answer is...maybe. You'd definitely want to make the app easy to use and include a good message notification feature, since -- with Wi-Fi required for its use -- you'd be competing with everyone else's app.

I voted no because I have stopped using the roll call area of CC. The limitations are well, just too limiting so we have moved to social media for roll calls instead. It would be nice if we could remove the limitations here but I don't count on that happening.

Couldn't agree more.

I normally do not have my cell phone on when I am on a ship. (Ran into a bunch of charges once when I thought I was picking up a signal from the location where we were docked.) So instant messaging on board is not a feature I have any interest in. However, I sure wish Cruise Critic had a feature - like some other info. boards have - where, by clicking on a person's screen name, you can send them a private message. The message on those sights goes through the site, then you receive an alert from the site telling you you have a private message. You can then go to the site and click on a tab to check your message. Your email is never shared with whoever sends you the message, though you can reply to the message by just clicking "reply". This comes in very handy!

Would you use a Cruise Critic App on board your cruise to instant message with your fellow Roll Call participants?

Maybe I misunderstood the original thought but would this app utilize the intranet which is open to everyone or one that would work over the internet?

Of course if it works internal to the ship system, then why not?

If it were to use the paid internet system then no.

Hi all,

My wife and I are interested in a full island tour of Bermuda with Rickysminibus tours but the cost would be prohibitive with just the two of us.

The itinerary he has suggested is superb, his service comes highly recommended on Tripadvisor etc. Is there any one else on this cruise interested in making up a larger party for a fun day with a local guide who can show us places of interest the standard tour may not cover? Either respond here please or write a note to Ricky on his website.

Cheers,

Eric Smith

United states lines patriot aug 21 2001

carnival holiday apr 13 2001

carnival elation dec 16 2001

royal enchantment aug 18 2002

carnival ecstasy dec 30 2002

carnival triumph may 03 2003

carnival spirit sept 17 2003

carnival ecstasy nov 10 2003

royal splendour jun 13 2004

royal legend oct 17 2004

royal vision jan 09 2005

norwegian wind may 11 2005

royal legend oct 22 2005

carnival spirit feb 28 2006

royal freedom sept 10 2006

carnival spirit feb 27 2007

carnival miracle may 03 2007

royal serenade oct 05 2007

norwegian star oct 11 2008

princess golden dec 10 2008

princess golden feb 11 2009

carnival spirit feb 24 2009

royal radiance may 11 2009

royal serenade oct 03 2009

royal serenade oct 17 2009

carnival spirit jan 22 2010

carnival spirit nov 14 2010

carnival spirit jan 14 2011

carnival spirit jan 23 2011

norwegian sun july 1 2011

royal mariner oct 26 2011

royal voyager dec 3 2011

royal voyager dec 10 2011

carnival spirit apr 13 2012

royal grandeur oct 26 2012

royal grandeur nov 07 2012

royal vision mar 18 2013

royal vision apr 2 2013

royal rhapsody may 31 2013

royal brilliance oct 20 2013

royal brilliance oct 27 2013

carnival miracle jan 18 2014

norwegian star apr 9 2014

royal brilliance apr 21 2014

royal brilliance apr 26 2014

royal brilliance apr 30 2014

royal allure july 27 2014

royal allure aug 3 2014

royal grandeur nov 29 2014

royal brilliance sept 3 2015

royal brilliance sept 18 2015

royal ovation may 26 2016

royal ovation june 9 2016

norwegain sun oct 28 2016

have 4 more booked 2 on the rhaposdy 2on the jewell

we have booked on the rhapsody then end of oct and the first 2 weeks in nov leaving out of Venice then a transatlantic out of Barcelona to Tampa looking for things to do in the ports without using rci looking for things within the area at port we have taken this cruise in the past and did all the excursion's from the ship the last time so looking for different things this time