Wine, Beer, Spirits, etc. prices

tinykygal

Hi all.

We booked our first HAL cruise today and after having just cruised with RCCL I was interested in seeing if anyone had approx. cost of a glass of house wine.

We never purchase beverage packages as I don't think it is cost effective for the few drinks that we purchase...a glass of wine or 2, perhaps a beer.

I am seeing some old postings that HAL house wine is approx. $6, we paid much more, I am sure on RCCL.

Sorry for the mumbling.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I did confirm that as of today the Signature Pkg, up to 15 drinks daily (would never have that many of anything other than water) for drinks $8 or less is $361.83 for a 7 night cruise. That includes 15% gratuity, RCCL charges 18%.

I realize this is a HAL thread.

Thank you.

Hi all.

We booked our first HAL cruise today and after having just cruised with RCCL I was interested in seeing if anyone had approx. cost of a glass of house wine.

We never purchase beverage packages as I don't think it is cost effective for the few drinks that we purchase...a glass of wine or 2, perhaps a beer.

I am seeing some old postings that HAL house wine is approx. $6, we paid much more, I am sure on RCCL.

Sorry for the mumbling.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I did confirm that as of today the Signature Pkg, up to 15 drinks daily (would never have that many of anything other than water) for drinks $8 or less is $361.83 for a 7 night cruise. That includes 15% gratuity, RCCL charges 18%.

I realize this is a HAL thread.

Thank you.

It's usually around $6.25. Here's the whole wine by the glass list from last month.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/cee2cf73-8510-4812-a432-73df0c57d791/a2623dc291a487316832b45d292edbf0

Prices of wine by the glass, beer, and cocktails on HAL ships are usually a bargain compared to other cruise lines. Take advantage of it while it lasts. HAL recently increased the price, significantly, of bottles of liquor for consumption in the state room. I think it is just a matter of time before they increase these individual drink prices.

Thank you! I would never have thought to keep anything like that.

You're welcome. I've always felt that it's my job to know all the answers. And, if I don't know, it's my job to know who knows. :D

It's usually around $6.25. Here's the whole wine by the glass list from last month.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/cee2cf73-8510-4812-a432-73df0c57d791/a2623dc291a487316832b45d292edbf0

And thank you again! My sister and me are about to go on our first HA cruise and I have really been wondering how much to budget for wine. This really helps because now I know what I am interested in trying!

It may be cheaper to buy a bottle of wine at dinner, and what you don't drink, the waiter will bring out the next night for you. We're not big drinkers either, and this is a great way to do it. Depending on the wine you choose, you could save some money.

And thank you again! My sister and me are about to go on our first HA cruise and I have really been wondering how much to budget for wine. This really helps because now I know what I am interested in trying!

You might want to look into the two wine packages HAL offers - Navigator and Admiral. These come in 3-5-7 bottle packages and you can select from any wine on the list. I like the Navigator package for whites, but Admiral for reds (no you cannot mix the two packages but I wanted to give you an idea what to expect). Naturally, the Admiral package is a bit more expensive.

I do not remember the exact prices, but I am sure you can find it on the HAL website or here on Cruise Critic using the SEARCH feature. Since you normally get 4-5 glasses per bottle, it is a bit less expensive than wine by the glass (except for the house wines of course). You do not have to finish the bottle at dinner - the wine steward will save it for you and open another whenever you want (in fact, you can have 2 or 3 bottles open at a time).

I know that this is your first HAL cruise, but if someone else in your group is a frequent HAL guest (3-5 Stars), there are discounts on these wine packages available (25-50% off).

You might want to look into the two wine packages HAL offers - Navigator and Admiral. These come in 3-5-7 bottle packages and you can select from any wine on the list. I like the Navigator package for whites, but Admiral for reds (no you cannot mix the two packages but I wanted to give you an idea what to expect). Naturally, the Admiral package is a bit more expensive.

I do not remember the exact prices, but I am sure you can find it on the HAL website or here on Cruise Critic using the SEARCH feature. Since you normally get 4-5 glasses per bottle, it is a bit less expensive than wine by the glass (except for the house wines of course). You do not have to finish the bottle at dinner - the wine steward will save it for you and open another whenever you want (in fact, you can have 2 or 3 bottles open at a time).

I know that this is your first HAL cruise, but if someone else in your group is a frequent HAL guest (3-5 Stars), there are discounts on these wine packages available (25-50% off).

Thanks Dave,

This is a first cruise on HAL for both of us, and it is just us, so we'll have to pay full price, but since it is a 4 day cruise we probably will be able to go through a few bottles.

Does anyone know if they will bring a bottle up to our retreat cabana? I know we can order individual drinks up there but it would be great if we could get a bottle.

Edited by CoffeHound

@DaveOKC

You might want to look into the two wine packages HAL offers - Navigator and Admiral. These come in 3-5-7 bottle packages and you can select from any wine on the list. I like the Navigator package for whites, but Admiral for reds...

Found the indulges packages (on line, not on the HAL website). Do you (or anyone reading) know where actual lists, esp. for reds, might be? I'm sure they change as wines and vintages come and go.

There are also individual bottles that can (apparently) be pre-ordered but the 3* discount is only for packages.

Starting to think about a stop at Total Wine in FLL vs package deals...

@DaveOKC

Found the indulges packages (on line, not on the HAL website). Do you (or anyone reading) know where actual lists, esp. for reds, might be? I'm sure they change as wines and vintages come and go.

There are also individual bottles that can (apparently) be pre-ordered but the 3* discount is only for packages.

Are you referring to the wine packages crystal?

They are on the HAL website:

Navigator package "This package allows you to choose three wines from a wonderful selection that includes Piedra Negra Torrontes, Danzante Pinot Grigio and Moscato, Caliterra Chardonnay, Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, Puerto Viejo Carmenere, Frescobaldi Remole, Chateau des Trois Tours Brodeaux, Deakin Estate Shiraz and Pinot Noir, Los Riscos Merlot, Tapena Tempranillo and Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. "

Admiral package - "This package allows you to choose five wines from a wonderful selection that includes Tangley Oaks Chardonnay, Grace Lane Riesling, Estancia Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir, Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Franciscan ""Equilibrium"" White Blend, Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, Hayman & Hill Chardonnay, Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, Wente ""Sandstone"" Merlot and ""Beyer Ranch"" Zinfandel, Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Decero Cabernet Sauvignon and Cuarto Dominio Lote 44 Malbec. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item."

Although this listing is technically correct, I always wait until I am onboard to order in case there is a change due to unavailability of one of the wines. Packages (as well as beverage activities) are usually on display outside the Lido on embarkation day.

Does anyone know if they will bring a bottle up to our retreat cabana? I know we can order individual drinks up there but it would be great if we could get a bottle.

Yes, you can.

@DaveOKC

I do not have the lists, but perhaps you can find something here on CC using the SEARCH feature as I have seen posts with some of this information.

If you do not mind lugging the wine onboard IN YOUR CARRYON (HAL rules), you can bring on one bottle per person free for consumption in your cabin only. After that you pay a corkage fee of $18 per bottle, but these paid bottle you can consume anywhere onboard.

Given HAL's pricing and Total Wine's deals, this likely will be less expensive plus you get to drink the wine you really like rather than relying on HAL's list.

Are you referring to the wine packages crystal?

They are on the HAL website:

Navigator package "This package allows you to choose three wines from a wonderful selection that includes Piedra Negra Torrontes, Danzante Pinot Grigio and Moscato, Caliterra Chardonnay, Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, Puerto Viejo Carmenere, Frescobaldi Remole, Chateau des Trois Tours Brodeaux, Deakin Estate Shiraz and Pinot Noir, Los Riscos Merlot, Tapena Tempranillo and Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. "

Admiral package - "This package allows you to choose five wines from a wonderful selection that includes Tangley Oaks Chardonnay, Grace Lane Riesling, Estancia Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir, Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Franciscan ""Equilibrium"" White Blend, Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, Hayman & Hill Chardonnay, Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, Wente ""Sandstone"" Merlot and ""Beyer Ranch"" Zinfandel, Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Decero Cabernet Sauvignon and Cuarto Dominio Lote 44 Malbec. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item."

Although this listing is technically correct, I always wait until I am onboard to order in case there is a change due to unavailability of one of the wines. Packages (as well as beverage activities) are usually on display outside the Lido on embarkation day.

[bold is mine] This is important advise! One time, the package was "as advertised" and another time it had lots of substitutions.

We've got the beverage package from Ex4 for our next cruise, but the reds by the glass are so limited that we'll buy a wine package.

I do not have the lists, but perhaps you can find something here on CC using the SEARCH feature as I have seen posts with some of this information.

If you do not mind lugging the wine onboard IN YOUR CARRYON (HAL rules), you can bring on one bottle per person free for consumption in your cabin only. After that you pay a corkage fee of $18 per bottle, but these paid bottle you can consume anywhere onboard.

Given HAL's pricing and Total Wine's deals, this likely will be less expensive plus you get to drink the wine you really like rather than relying on HAL's list.

OK, I'll confess, I picked our pre-cruise hotel for its proximity to Total Wine. :D I plan to bring aboard some good fizz to consume on our balcony.

Thanks Jacqui -- darned if I could find either the prices or the wines on the website. I do see 3 reds in each group that I would TRY, but even with the 3* discount, the price is right even with stopping at Total Wine and bringing on wines I know I enjoy (averaging the corkage over the 6-pack carry tote!).

Looking at the individual bottles you can pre-order for your cabin -- WOW :eek: the markup! It does look like the % markup is "worse" for low-priced wines (10x for Beringer) than medium-high priced (only 2.5x for Silverado CabSav). But I have plebeian taste in wine! So my $9 bottle of Bogle Essential Red even plus corkage, is a bargain on board.

But the packages are a fall-back-on option, should something happen with our flight(s) to make a stop at TW impractical -- as was the case for our 2015 transatlantic.

Thanks to Dave and POA as well, for your answers. I do know about wine being in carry-on. This went very smooth in Vancouver where EIGHT of us brought on only our "free" bottles. Those 6-pak bottle-bags are sure handy!

Thanks Jacqui -- darned if I could find either the prices or the wines on the website. I do see 3 reds in each group that I would TRY, but even with the 3* discount, the price is right even with stopping at Total Wine and bringing on wines I know I enjoy (averaging the corkage over the 6-pack carry tote!).

Looking at the individual bottles you can pre-order for your cabin -- WOW :eek: the markup! It does look like the % markup is "worse" for low-priced wines (10x for Beringer) than medium-high priced (only 2.5x for Silverado CabSav). But I have plebeian taste in wine! So my $9 bottle of Bogle Essential Red even plus corkage, is a bargain on board.

But the packages are a fall-back-on option, should something happen with our flight(s) to make a stop at TW impractical -- as was the case for our 2015 transatlantic.

Thanks to Dave and POA as well, for your answers. I do know about wine being in carry-on. This went very smooth in Vancouver where EIGHT of us brought on only our "free" bottles. Those 6-pak bottle-bags are sure handy!

We always bring wine on from Total Wine - it's a Candy Store to us Canadians that can't even get 1/3 of these wines ;)

And use the wine packages as well for dinner, depending upon what is offered. DH likes a couple of the reds in the Admiral package and I usually favour the whites in the Navigator but it really depends on what they offer. One nice thing is that if they don't have your wine after a few days on the cruise, I have always found that our wine steward suggested a couple of alternatives which were more expensive wines (at no extra charge :)

I agree, with the 3* discount, Total Wine and corkage is well worth a hard look at ;)

Hopefully you can make your stop at Total Wines - fingers crossed.

Edited by kazu