How many room stewards?

ECUnited

Searched for this in the stickies and didn't see an answer. This will be our first HAL cruise, we've done several others. We will be on the Eurodam and we're wondering how many room stewards are assigned per cabin? We are thinking about a small gift pack (in addition to gratuity) for the room steward(s).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The largest cabins usually have 2 cabin stewards.

There may be times when a ship is short crew and the smaller cabins will have only 1 cabin steward.

And do have anywhere from 33 to 40 cabins.

We prefer to give extra cash at the end of the cruise in addition to the Hotel Service Charge.

Their cabins are very tiny and they have very little storage space. And don't give food as they have different religions and can't always eat the things we do.

The largest cabins usually have 2 cabin stewards. There may be times when a ship is short crew and the smaller cabins will have only 1 cabin steward.
I don't think the size of the cabin has anything to do with it. In a stern corner-wrap SB on the N.A. we had just one steward. He had just the 8 cabins across the stern.

Most seem to have about 17 cabins.
Working alone they have about 15-16, but pairs have around 30. Edited by jtl513

Gifts other than cash are really a bad idea as others have said. We really don't know their personal likes and dislikes, they have so little room in their small shared cabins, and no, they don't want or need a memento from your home town to remember you by (a common suggestion from some). Cash is still the best- they can get what they enjoy and need.

On the Vistas and up, room steward cabins are small, but not tiny. They contain two bunk beds and each occupant has a full wardrobe closet, a pull-out drawer underneath the lower bunk, and a cabinet drawer for their personal possessions and work-related uniforms/shoes. The cabins come with a shower, a sink, a small flat screen TV and a telephone.

Besides room stewards, you'll find housekeeping attendants, laundry attendants, sailors, machinists, wipers, fireman/greasers, waste handlers, dining room stewards, mess room attendants, assistant cooks, kitchen assistants, general service assistants, GPA Bars, Beverage attendants, security guards, etc. assigned to these.

On the remaining two "S" and the four "R"-class ships, those cabins are located on B-Deck and the only difference is that some have shared shower space

And Yes, if you want to reward your room/dining room stewards, the best thing you can give them is U.S. cash

When we did the grand 50 day Rotterdam trip from UK with two maiden voyage weeks in Indonesia, our cabin steward gave us a gift - a hand-made batik carry bag his wife had made to hand out to those on his cabin steward rounds, when we got to visit his home port. I treasure that gift and that warm remembrance, as much as that wonderful HAL cruise.

Edited by OlsSalt

When we did the grand 50 day Rotterdam trip from UK with two maiden voyage weeks in Indonesia, our cabin steward gave us a gift - a hand-made batik carry bag his wife had made to hand out to those on his cabin steward rounds, when we got to visit his home port. I treasure that gift and that warm remembrance, as much as that wonderful HAL cruise.

What a wonderful memento!

On our recent Zuiderdam cruise we had a steward and his assistant. They did full service in the morning and in the evening towels, ice and turn-down.

Perhaps because it was a 10 day Panama Canal and folks spent a good bit of time on their verandahs - our steward asked us if we also wanted ice at 4:30 (which we did :) as DH spends alot of time in the cabin and on the verandah). Every day at 4:30 a different steward replaced our ice. It appears the stewards on our deck teamed up taking turns to provide this additional service to their passengers who wished it. And yes, it was handsomely rewarded in "green" at the end of the trip. :D

Searched for this in the stickies and didn't see an answer. This will be our first HAL cruise, we've done several others. We will be on the Eurodam and we're wondering how many room stewards are assigned per cabin? We are thinking about a small gift pack (in addition to gratuity) for the room steward(s).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have had 1 steward on a few occasions which was explained as the senior stewards are sometimes given a choice of fewer cabins and no assistant on the longer cruises. It is more common to have 1 steward and an assistant. Totally agree with others who recommend cash versus a gift for many reasons. The crew needs to buy their internet time and often get to go ashore, especially if an overnight docking so the cash helps as they usually go out to eat or to buy themselves treats, toiletries, etc. They also send money home to support their families, so any extra is always appreciated.

On the Vistas and up, room steward cabins are small, but not tiny. They contain two bunk beds and each occupant has a full wardrobe closet, a pull-out drawer underneath the lower bunk, and a cabinet drawer for their personal possessions and work-related uniforms/shoes. The cabins come with a shower, a sink, a small flat screen TV and a telephone.

Besides room stewards, you'll find housekeeping attendants, laundry attendants, sailors, machinists, wipers, fireman/greasers, waste handlers, dining room stewards, mess room attendants, assistant cooks, kitchen assistants, general service assistants, GPA Bars, Beverage attendants, security guards, etc. assigned to these.

On the remaining two "S" and the four "R"-class ships, those cabins are located on B-Deck and the only difference is that some have shared shower space

And Yes, if you want to reward your room/dining room stewards, the best thing you can give them is U.S. cash

Copper, on my recent trans-Atlantic to IJmuiden, I gave my room steward Euros [exchange rate about the same] as Prinsendam was just starting their Northern European schedule. Would US dollars still have been better?

If I was your steward I would have preferred the Euros, as they are still worth about 6% more than the $US. :)

Thank you, I thought they might like having some local cash for their next ports for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Happily@Sea