Confused

Zeikah

I have been reading all of your helpful questions/answers before my upcoming cruise. (thanks)

I have read a couple in the last couple of days about people complaining about the food in the buffet.

What confuses me is, why do people persist with the buffet if the food is not great and go to the MDR where you get 3 courses of fine dining and where you are treated like a king?

Just wondering????????????

Just keep in mind also that people's idea of good and bad food is a very subjective subject. What is OK for one can be horrible to another. Having eaten regularly in both on various ships I would keep a completely open mind and just check it our for yourself.

Many would rather wear their sweats/swimsuits/shorts, etc. and eat in the buffet than dress "smart casual" and eat in MDR. It is also faster to eat in the buffet as dinner in MDR can often take a fair amount of time. Some also really don't want to eat at a table with strangers.

Personally, I enjoy the leisurely pace but, for many, it is maddeningly slow. We have also met some genuinely interesting people at dinner. One of them (who I believe was the oldest we have ever eaten with) had some truly fascinating stories of places she had been and things she had done.

Edited by Thrak

I have been reading all of your helpful questions/answers before my upcoming cruise. (thanks)

I have read a couple in the last couple of days about people complaining about the food in the buffet.

What confuses me is, why do people persist with the buffet if the food is not great and go to the MDR where you get 3 courses of fine dining and where you are treated like a king?

We got off the Royal Princess last month and the buffet food was not just great, it was FANTASTIC. Good selections, themed food (Bavarian night our favorite - you can't get that in the MDR), and the food was hot. We saw no reason to go to the MDR. Service was good, too.

We've had really good buffet food on other ships as well, especially when the evening meal is served at Café Caribe.

But in general we dislike the wait that often occurs when we eat in the Main Dining Room. Sure there are multiple courses (we eat too much), but the service, while excellent, is like a convoy - one eats at the speed of the slowest table in the section. Often we will forego this to be able to get to our choice of entertainment in the evening. In the buffet you can eat at your own speed, and it doesn't preclude conversation with others either.

We especially like spreading out our meal, often coming back later in the evening for dessert and tea.

But on this board, tastes differ. We could care less about lobster, while others find it the highlight of fine dining. The nice thing is Princess really does try to have really good food at all the dining venues.

Exactly what I was saying.

I will go there for a breakfast or two and a lunch or two but if the food is not good I won't go back.

I think the OP is just saying - on a cruise you go to the buffet and it is gross - dont go back. Not saying no one should ever eat there. Because the complaints you hear make it sould like the people who hate the buffet and slam it, ate it quite often.

With a lot of food choices at the buffet, there was no instance that we were not able to get a food that we like. There are different dishes prepared everyday. We eat at the buffet most of the time.

Not on the Ruby Princess, which I just got off of. They had a new "3 day rotation." Same food 3 days in a row with very few exceptions. Food was cold and dry. This was for lunch and dinner.

I was on her in September and the buffet food and choices were wonderful. But it appears they are changing it up.

I only packed shorts, so the DR was not an option for me. Didn't think it would be a problem after doing over 50 cruises on Princess.

I hate sitting through the dining room process. Too long for this fidgety girl. I may have to find another cruise line, much to my dismay.

We seldom go to the DR for breakfast or lunch. We don't like to spend that much time dining during the day. We normally go to the DR for dinner, but sometimes our evening activity schedule does not allow it. There is always something good to eat at the buffet. You can make nice salads, good soups, different dishes, they make nice to order omelettes in the A.M.. The Royal Princess has the best buffet I have seen on any ship. We might also grab a meal at the Grill, Prego Pizza, Alfredo's (if available) or one of our favorites the International Cafe. We also tend to take longer b2b cruises and you get tired of the DR every night.

Not on the Ruby Princess, which I just got off of. They had a new "3 day rotation." Same food 3 days in a row with very few exceptions. Food was cold and dry. This was for lunch and dinner.

I was on her in September and the buffet food and choices were wonderful. But it appears they are changing it up.

I only packed shorts, so the DR was not an option for me. Didn't think it would be a problem after doing over 50 cruises on Princess.

I hate sitting through the dining room process. Too long for this fidgety girl. I may have to find another cruise line, much to my dismay.

If you even get the chance try either the Regal or the Royal Horizon buffet. It has no resemblance to the Horizon buffets on the other ships. Their food is done to such perfection you'll probably forgo the DR most nights with a separate cook staff. We've been on them a number of times & they're always great.

I really doubt because of the number of cruises has anything to do with the dress code in the MDR

Rules are Rules. :D

Next cruise pack a pair of nice pants and top just incase you happen to go to the MDR.

Some buffets are better than others.

Whilst this is true it does not account for why anyone continues to frequent a buffet they think is bad and then come onto here to report their continuous disappoitment.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

We personally like the buffet. There are so many dining choices, though. Sometimes we do the MDR for breakfast, sometimes the buffet, sometimes pizza for lunch, sometimes the buffet, etc. Our choice depends on what we were doing that day. We tend to get "fixed up" and go to the MDR for dinner on sea days. Sometimes, after a long day in port, we want nothing to do with the MDR or the buffet! We've even picked up at International Cafe for dinner, and also ordered room service. I always look forward to dinner at the Crown Grill - that's always a highlight!

I really doubt because of the number of cruises has anything to do with the dress code in the MDR

Rules are Rules. :D

Next cruise pack a pair of nice pants and top just incase you happen to go to the MDR.

I think they were talking about eating at the buffet full time wouldn't be a problem, not the dress code.

Food is always subjective. One person's "Yum!" is another's "Yuck!"

Some Princess buffets are better than others. For instance, the Royal and Regal's buffets are probably the best at sea.

The chef and kitchen staff also make a big difference. Doesn't matter whether it's in the dining room or the buffet. Depending on the chefs, the same exact food can be delicious or awful.

Many people don't know about some things you can order in the buffet. For instance, many don't realize you can order a custom omelet. There's just a little sign that most miss. That can affect someone's perception of the buffet.

I often eat all three meals in the buffet and have never had a problem finding something I like. But then I love salads. :)

Whilst this is true it does not account for why anyone continues to frequent a buffet they think is bad and then come onto here to report their continuous disappoitment.

Regards John

I don't consider it a complaint but more of a report & appreciate someone who does present their views. It's far better than the old "everything was wonderful" types I read most of the time.

We got off the Royal Princess last month and the buffet food was not just great, it was FANTASTIC. Good selections, themed food (Bavarian night our favorite - you can't get that in the MDR), and the food was hot. We saw no reason to go to the MDR. Service was good, too.

We've had really good buffet food on other ships as well, especially when the evening meal is served at Café Caribe.

But in general we dislike the wait that often occurs when we eat in the Main Dining Room. Sure there are multiple courses (we eat too much), but the service, while excellent, is like a convoy - one eats at the speed of the slowest table in the section. Often we will forego this to be able to get to our choice of entertainment in the evening. In the buffet you can eat at your own speed, and it doesn't preclude conversation with others either.

We especially like spreading out our meal, often coming back later in the evening for dessert and tea.

But on this board, tastes differ. We could care less about lobster, while others find it the highlight of fine dining. The nice thing is Princess really does try to have really good food at all the dining venues.

I couldn't agree more . On our most recent cruise, we often left after the main course, as we were waiting far too long between courses. When tables for 2 are mixed with tables for 8 in a section, the slow service become quite annoying.

I couldn't agree more . On our most recent cruise, we often left after the main course, as we were waiting far too long between courses. When tables for 2 are mixed with tables for 8 in a section, the slow service become quite annoying.

I agree about the waiting between courses so that a group in one section, regardless of number of guests at each table, is served at the same time.

We have tried it all - large tables, medium sized, tables for two, etc. Up to two hours to eat. Too long for us as we have better plans for the evening than just eating. However we like to sit and have our meal brought to us, so usually don't frequent the buffet.

Sitting at a table for two, with long waits between courses, you hear and see the raucous non stop hustle bustle. The staff works so hard and so fast I can't even think about complaining. But occasionally we do let them know we would like to be in and out in an hour or so and they do their best to accomodate.

Sorry, a bit off topic there.

As to the food, for the most part we find the food good to fair. It really does vary by ship and by chef. When it is fair, we just eat less. Let's face it, there are an amazing number of free choices on board so we know we will never go hungry.

The only real complaint I have ever had with the buffet was with the passengers. The horrid amount of waste. People pile those platters up with huge amounts of food and then don't eat it. They leave piles of food on the plate and then often go back for more of something else. Just because one can take huge amounts of food doesn't mean one should.

Edit: OK. There are a couple of things I don't like about the buffet. We almost always eat breakfast there and the "American" bacon is not good. Thin. Greasy. Lame. Their idea of "hash browns" is not my idea of hash browns. On the other hand they always cook my eggs exactly to order. :)

Edited by Thrak

It must sicken the crew to see the wasted amounts of food being thrown away all the time. :(

There's not to much you can do about it but at least in the DR the portions have become smaller to counteract for waste.

One of the things we really like about MDR dinner is the smaller portions. We can eat an appetizer, main course, and desert without becoming overly full. On our last two cruises (17 days and a 13 day cruise tour) I have gained exactly zero pounds. :D