What is the "right" sized ship.

Wyuna1

I would be interested to hear other cruisers opinions of which sized ship they consider to be best and why. After reading various reviews and comparing the overall approval ratings of around 40% for megaships like the Ovation to mid 70% approval ratings for Radiance of the Seas and Sun Class ships on Princess.

Perhaps in this instance "Smaller is better".

I would be interested to hear other cruisers opinions of which sized ship they consider to be best and why. After reading various reviews and comparing the overall approval ratings of around 40% for megaships like the Ovation to mid 70% approval ratings for Radiance of the Seas and Sun Class ships on Princess.

Perhaps in this instance "Smaller is better".

Well our favourite has been Pacific Princess at 688.

At one stage ships like Radiance of the Seas and the Grand Princess were the largest in the world. They are certainly not small ships.

I would personally avoid the mega ships with up to and over 4,000 passengers. I may go on them as a novelty just to try them but I would not make them my main holiday.

For me personally the original Grand class of 2,600 passengers is perfectly fine. I have also cruised on the Celebrity Solstice of 2,850 passengers and had no complaints about the space and size of that ship. My other favourites are Aurora and Oriana both around 1,850 passengers and also the Arcadia which is a Vista class ship.

I am not keen on the Sun class as the ship has a small frame and feels crowded with 2,000 passengers on board.

As you can see I prefer ships anywhere from 1,800 passengers up to 2,800 passengers. I have also done coming up to 28 cruises this week so I know what I like after years of experience.

Well our favourite has been Pacific Princess at 688.

The right size ship for me is Ocean Princess (same size as Pacific Princess) and Fram.

However, for cruisers where the ship is the destination, the right size ship could be something different.

I am fairly flexible as to the size of the ship but the design of the public spaces is very important. Just off the Ovation and if at the right Itinerary (ports that can handle it) I would happily cruise on her again, The Explorer and Voyager seemed more crowded.

I suppose I do prefer the ships that have around 2500-2800 passengers as my favourite ship is the Solstice, with the Infinity second.

I quite like the Princess Sun class ships, unlike Brisbane41 they never feel crowded to me.

So far the biggest we have been on is Celebrity Solstice and that was good.

We're booked on Royal Princess later this year and I must admit I'm a bit concerned over the size of that ship. I would have preferred a smaller ship for a Med cruise but the Royal itinerary was the best match for what we wanted so we decided to give it a go.

We're also booked on Crystal Symphony (just under 1000 passengers, I think) next year. That will be interesting. We did have a sneak preview of her earlier this month, thanks to Bodogbodog, so we know a bit about the layout of the ship.

I do wish cruise lines would target the size of new ships to the regions they are sailing in, instead of building one megasize fits all ships. Personally I think our region - NZ, the South Pacific and the smaller Australian ports - are best served by ships under 3000 passengers.

We prefer the larger ships, and avoid smaller ships like the plague.

(having said that we have booked the 68 thousand tonne Crystal Serenity after years of being nagged by friends we have to get on Crystal - so we'll see how that goes, but I would call that a mid size ship myself)...

We have cruised smaller luxury ships, and found them incredibly boring. We do try to make the best of the experience, and always chit chatted with fellow passengers (however few of them there were), but not for us.

Much prefer the larger Grand or Royal class Princess ships, or Solstice class Celebrity ships. Even had a great time on the QM2. Haven't tried the Oasis class ships yet, but I think they would be a bit too much "family friendliness" on a Mega size ship, even for us. Though I won't knock it till I've tried it....

Not trying to generalize things, as we have found all types of people liking all types of ships in our travels, and equally all types of people disliking all types of ships, but generally, we have found the older the passengers, the more likely they are to prefer smaller ships (all for different reasons). We're both in our late 30's, so may explain our preference a little also.

Edited by Lanwood

I quite like the Princess Sun class ships, unlike Brisbane41 they never feel crowded to me.

So far the biggest we have been on is Celebrity Solstice and that was good.

We're booked on Royal Princess later this year and I must admit I'm a bit concerned over the size of that ship. I would have preferred a smaller ship for a Med cruise but the Royal itinerary was the best match for what we wanted so we decided to give it a go.

We're also booked on Crystal Symphony (just under 1000 passengers, I think) next year. That will be interesting. We did have a sneak preview of her earlier this month, thanks to Bodogbodog, so we know a bit about the layout of the ship.

I do wish cruise lines would target the size of new ships to the regions they are sailing in, instead of building one megasize fits all ships. Personally I think our region - NZ, the South Pacific and the smaller Australian ports - are best served by ships under 3000 passengers.

Try Aurora (slightly larger than the Sun class in physical dimensions 270m long) and Oriana (exactly the same size as Sun class in physical dimensions 260m long and 32.2m wide) and let me know what you think then. If you try them I can guarantee you will be totally amazed at what can be done with passenger space and wonder how the Sun class are popular.

The right size ship for me is Ocean Princess (same size as Pacific Princess) and Fram.

However, for cruisers where the ship is the destination, the right size ship could be something different.

Yep basically the same ship.

Even if the ship is the destination I still live those little girls.

The perfect size ship to me is any ship I am on! I have done smaller ships...carnival sensation, RCCL Jewel, mega ships Allure, Oasis and Anthem. They all have certain features I like. I tend to book cruises based on the itinerary! Haven't been disappointed yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try Aurora (slightly larger than the Sun class in physical dimensions 270m long) and Oriana (exactly the same size as Sun class in physical dimensions 260m long and 32.2m wide) and let me know what you think then. If you try them I can guarantee you will be totally amazed at what can be done with passenger space and wonder how the Sun class are popular.

I'll add them to my bucket list. Shame we don't see them down this way for extended periods.

Not trying to generalize things, as we have found all types of people liking all types of ships in our travels, and equally all types of people disliking all types of ships, but generally, we have found the older the passengers, the more likely they are to prefer smaller ships (all for different reasons). We're both in our late 30's, so may explain our preference a little also.

Having cruised since my 20s, I think cruisers who are attracted to "adventure style" cruising generally like small ships, whilst cruisers who are more attracted to the "social side" of cruising are attracted to bigger ships, with lots more to do on bigger ships.

That is why I love ferries, which provide accommodation.

...And I wasn't a fan of Aurora...

Anyway, for me it's like MicCanberra. Not about the size, but the facilities and space onboard.

Voyager I loved before the refurb. Squeeze another 500 people on, provide for that by taking away facilities and now it's lost its appeal and more crowded.

Rhapsody suffered a similar outcome. And Millennium too for that matter.

As built Quantum and Ovation are great, because they're designed as intended. I daresay in 10 years time when they're less the current flavour and someone wants to increase revenue they'll apply similar compromises, therefore also destroying the experience.

So big or small, I don't mind a wide range, but it's more about what they do with that space onboard.

Based on the ships I have been on for purely passenger to public space ratio I would pick QM2. I never felt it was crowded even when we were going through the side effects of Cyclone Pam in New Zealand.

Agree, that how they use the space is a big factor regardless of the size of the ship.

For me it's not so much the size of the ship as the quality of the experience provided, things like good food, well furnished cabins, good passenger space ratio, knowledgeable lecturers and of course drinkable coffee!

Not keen on most of the RCI ships as IMO they have become more a 3 star hotel though that said if the price and itinerary were right I would still pay up.

One issue with larger ships is getting people on and off in a timely manner, whether it be embarking, disembarking (which I usually find a pain) or especially at tender ports. The smaller ship lines like Azamara also have the advantage of being able to dock much closer to where it's happening rather than in some container port in the boondocks.

A small ship (100 pax) for an adventure cruise can get away with no specialty restaurant or buffet etc whereas once you get to 600+ these are needed as the MDR can sometimes struggle with maintaining quality. A choice of bars is also needed on larger ships. I can do without most of the ship's entertainment (bingo, trivia etc) but a good show is always a plus.

For me it's not so much the size of the ship as the quality of the experience provided, things like good food, well furnished cabins, good passenger space ratio, knowledgeable lecturers and of course drinkable coffee!

Not keen on most of the RCI ships as IMO they have become more a 3 star hotel though that said if the price and itinerary were right I would still pay up.

One issue with larger ships is getting people on and off in a timely manner, whether it be embarking, disembarking (which I usually find a pain) or especially at tender ports. The smaller ship lines like Azamara also have the advantage of being able to dock much closer to where it's happening rather than in some container port in the boondocks.

A small ship (100 pax) for an adventure cruise can get away with no specialty restaurant or buffet etc whereas once you get to 600+ these are needed as the MDR can sometimes struggle with maintaining quality. A choice of bars is also needed on larger ships. I can do without most of the ship's entertainment (bingo, trivia etc) but a good show is always a plus.

Couldn't agree more about docking and tendering.

The last two cruises we did were Diamond and Emeral Princess, tendering on both was a pain with enormous lines, even when the added more tenders it didn't help a lot as they still only had one pier to tender too and from, and because they had to anchor further out the tender time was way longer which didn't help.

The small ports even FELT overrun, really noticed it at Port Douglas, Busselton, Picton and Port Arthur.

We visited Both Port Douglas and Port Arthur on Pacific Princess and then PD on Diamond and PA on Emerald, it was really noticeable at both.

No mega ships for me...they look like cattle transporters. I like a ship which makes me feel I am sailing on the high seas. The creaks, groans and bangs have to be experienced. But I do like one big enough to have stabilisers.:D

I agree.

With regard to the unique creaks, groans and bangs of older ships, on Fred.Olsen's Black Watch, we felt like the anchor was being lowered from our cabin. Fortunately, we were early risers!

Based on the ships I have been on for purely passenger to public space ratio I would pick QM2. I never felt it was crowded even when we were going through the side effects of Cyclone Pam in New Zealand.

Agree, that how they use the space is a big factor regardless of the size of the ship.

The QM2 is a very well designed ship in regards to having many, many, areas for someone to sit and read or play games or be in a more public area like the lounges or pub/bar.

Hi Mic

Yes the the QM2 having to do the trans atlantics takes into consideration lots of passengers inside during bad weather.

I also love ships that have a nice proper promenade area that you can lounge on and also walk around.

And there's always the kennels for if you are in the doghouse :):D;)

She is one of my favourite ships.

Love the ambiance and wonderful more personal cruise experience of the smaller ships, best cruise we have ever done was 20 nights onboard Ocean Princess, the country club atmosphere of the smaller ships is second to none.

The Sun sisters and Rhapsody of the Seas size is quite cosy, we cruise Oceana for 35 nights to the Caribbean next month it will be the longest we have done on that size so will be a test for us for much longer cruising...

I am over the Voyager and upwards size, it's not traditional cruising so it's time to spend more money and step up to a better more traditional cruise experience for us..... :D:D