Question for Aussies on tipping while there

Or on a more important note.

Tell us how, we can buy a 30 foot plus yacht out of Florida, or the Lakes, and get it to AUS, without paying the customs ,gst, sales tax, import duties etc ,etc.

Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating.:):)

Google "Sy Adele" it's where my cousin has to work. Poor bugger. Two months on two months off with flights to anywhere in the world for his "off time".

Being from the US and as an adult, I hate tipping. Yet my son worked his way (with our assistance) through college as a waiter in Huntington Beach. Working through school this way was good for him and he had to "fine tune" his people skills for maximum profit ;). He learned a lot about himself and other people. When we first started traveling to Europe many years ago we were told we were "spoiling" the locals and we became very sensitive about that. In 3 weeks we're on our way to your beautiful countries and I can't wait. I've always thought the Aussies and New Zealanders we're most like Americans. You know, good sense of humor, not afraid to speak our mind, always looking for a good time, and exceptionally handsome (really just a gratuitous moment to pat ourselves on the back;) )!! I was not aware until a few years ago that tipping was simply not done in your countries, and why. I respect you for it. So when I get there, rest assured....I WILL NOT TIP :)

An article that talks about tipping coming to the US.

http://www.businessinsider.com/history-of-tipping-2015-10

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Once they hear your accent some will expect tips I'm sorry to say.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Once they hear your accent some will expect tips I'm sorry to say.

Accent? What accent? I thought you guys had the accent....no problem, I'll stand strong

A positive review on Trip Adviser will likely be valued by most tour operators as much and instead of cash. Genuine thanks and a handshake are all that's required.

Thank you! As a business owner that would be more important to me too.

Being from the US and as an adult, I hate tipping. Yet my son worked his way (with our assistance) through college as a waiter in Huntington Beach. Working through school this way was good for him and he had to "fine tune" his people skills for maximum profit ;). He learned a lot about himself and other people. When we first started traveling to Europe many years ago we were told we were "spoiling" the locals and we became very sensitive about that. In 3 weeks we're on our way to your beautiful countries and I can't wait. I've always thought the Aussies and New Zealanders we're most like Americans. You know, good sense of humor, not afraid to speak our mind, always looking for a good time, and exceptionally handsome (really just a gratuitous moment to pat ourselves on the back;) )!! I was not aware until a few years ago that tipping was simply not done in your countries, and why. I respect you for it. So when I get there, rest assured....I WILL NOT TIP :)

An article that talks about tipping coming to the US.

http://www.businessinsider.com/history-of-tipping-2015-10

Interesting article and it seems ironic that the English may have started the practice but have long since got rid of it, while it is going strong in the US (apart from some establishments).

A positive review on Trip Adviser will likely be valued by most tour operators as much and instead of cash. Genuine thanks and a handshake are all that's required.

I agree, good reviews bring many more customers, which is a long term gain for any business.

Google "Sy Adele" it's where my cousin has to work. Poor bugger. Two months on two months off with flights to anywhere in the world for his "off time".

Nice but only if someone was doing all the work for me. Do they have a drinks package?

I've got a mate in Bufallo NY, now he is a Yank, only other place he has been is Canada, across at Niagara Falls and back again.

Now he thinks America is the greatest place on earth (and I'd think it was sad if he didn't). Thinks the tipping culture is a great way to get great service.

He was complaining the other night that he had tipped 25% and was called a tightwad. Seems 27.5% is considered normal in his area now and he hadn't eaten out for a while.

Oh gosh how on earth does one work out 27.5% on your bill after a few wines with dinner?? 20% is easy enough to work out quickly in your head but 27.5???

Crazy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

Oh gosh how on earth does one work out 27.5% on your bill after a few wines with dinner?? 20% is easy enough to work out quickly in your head but 27.5???

Crazy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

Don't worry, they have the prices printed on the bills as a suggested amount. There is also the smart phone with a calculator app.

Didn't anybody tell you? You are talking about the only place in the world that doesn't have an accent.:D

I was on a different forum the other week where someone was commenting about Chris Hemsworth's English accent in Rush and how as an American he did an English accent really well. Someone had to point out that he was Australian and that we can mimic almost every accent really well and that the Australian accent isn't quite so broad as what some people would like others to believe.

I was on a different forum the other week where someone was commenting about Chris Hemsworth's English accent in Rush and how as an American he did an English accent really well. Someone had to point out that he was Australian and that we can mimic almost every accent really well and that the Australian accent isn't quite so broad as what some people would like others to believe.

LOl, my wife thinks he is a brilliant actor and she just loves watching his films, She wasn't into comic book films before though so it must be his acting.;)

How about a quarter plus a bit?? :)

what the **** !!! :eek:

it's getting to the point where it would be far far easier just to dump an ipad type screen on your table - order what you want - and have someone call out your number to pick it up ..... and a ready supply of coffee / soft drink (soda for the yanks) which you can access...

mmmmmm.. didn't Maccas try that ??? ;)

Do Americans tip when they get served their take away coffees ??

Edited by shireboi

LOl, my wife thinks he is a brilliant actor and she just loves watching his films, She wasn't into comic book films before though so it must be his acting.;)

Shock! Horror! Are you indicating there is something else other than his acting ability that makes him appealing? :D

what the **** !!! :eek:

it's getting to the point where it would be far far easier just to dump an ipad type screen on your table - order what you want - and have someone call out your number to pick it up ..... and a ready supply of coffee / soft drink (soda for the yanks) which you can access...

mmmmmm.. didn't Maccas try that ??? ;)

Do Americans tip when they get served their take away coffees ??

of course..they pay $9 for a double shot no foam latte then tip the barrista who has a Phd in Womens Studies

Well I don't think it is a sudden love for Nordic gods.;)

It must be because he is a genuinely good guy and a family man. That's it!

Come to think of it, the other two brothers are pretty good eye-candy too. ;)