Question for Aussies on tipping while there

what the **** !!! :eek:

it's getting to the point where it would be far far easier just to dump an ipad type screen on your table - order what you want - and have someone call out your number to pick it up ..... and a ready supply of coffee / soft drink (soda for the yanks) which you can access...

mmmmmm.. didn't Maccas try that ??? ;)

Do Americans tip when they get served their take away coffees ??

It depends if there is a cup at the register that says "tips" and you don't feel guilty just walking away. I never feel guilty. It's coffee for cryin' out loud...:cool:

So many people confuse the service charge and a gratuity. On the ship, they call them gratuities when in reality they are service charges so even they are confused. The reason for this confusion is so they can save paying as much tax and to shift the onus directly to the passenger. Guilt them into paying it.

Not confused; they just follow US convention. The US don't have service charges, they have tips for service staff. Cruise ships follow the same convention since the US has been traditionally their largest market, so what their practices are based on.

So if tipping in this world is all about providing an appreciation for 'above and beyond' service...

Then why do we never tip-

- The Police?

- Our General Practitioners?

- A Nurse?

- A Lawyer?

- An IT Service Provider?

- An Accountant?

- The Dentist?

- A Financial Planner?

Are these also not categorised as the 'Service Industry', albeit, the professional service industry?

So why only certain service industry segments require eliciting of tips? And why are these industries paid so poorly in certain countries?

Could it be that the people of these countries truly believe that, those who are working within these industry segments are below the value of others and as such, have to perform 'above and beyond' the norm to elicit an equitable place in society?

Tania

Not confused; they just follow US convention. The US don't have service charges, they have tips for service staff. Cruise ships follow the same convention since the US has been traditionally their largest market, so what their practices are based on.

I think they are confused by it, hence all the discussion.

So if tipping in this world is all about providing an appreciation for 'above and beyond' service...

- The Police?

- A Nurse?

- A Lawyer?

- An Accountant?

- The Dentist?

- A Financial Planner?

Are these also not categorised as the 'Service Industry', albeit, the professional service industry?

So why only certain service industry segments require eliciting of tips? And why are these industries paid so poorly in certain countries?

Could it be that the people of these countries truly believe that, those who are working within these industry segments are below the value of others and as such, have to perform 'above and beyond' the norm to elicit an equitable place in society?

Tania

You may be right, it really does seem to be the menial service jobs.

BTW, If you tried to tip the Police for doing a good job and pulling you over for speeding, you may end up with an 'Attempting to bribe an officer' charge as well.:eek:

- The Police?

- A Nurse?

- A Lawyer?

- An Accountant?

- The Dentist?

- A Financial Planner?

Tania

I've asked the same many times, why not tip your lawyer, doctor etc, the answer is usually because they are well paid.

Gut said..'The Police?....Because if I had accepted tips I would have gone to the Big House and I don't mean Buck Pal or the White House. These Auto gratuities are just a wage subsidy gone out of control. At the end of the day, the various cruise lines don't want to pay the whole of service crew wages. The cruise line pays them $500 a month, then make up to around $2000 comes from the tipping pool, AWS - Automatic Wage Subsidy.

It was terrible, last night on Island Princess recently, the head waiters hanging around the tables in the MDR, eyes everywhere and taking the 'envelopes' containing cash from waiters, who had just received them from their pax. Head Waiters had lists of which pax had removed Auto tips, thus collected the envelopes from those who cancelled or reduced their tips and gave cash to their waiters. The seized money allegedly went into the 'tipping pool.'

Now I gave the head waiter a nice cash tip because he took my gluten free order every night, I wonder if he handed it in? Doubt it. Straight in the sky rocket.

Turned me off Princess cruises and I will have to rethink how I will give the poor buggers a few bucks on Cunard and P&O UK. Maybe have to meet 'em ashore.

Edited by NSWP

Because if I had accepted tips I would have gone to the Big House and I don't mean Buck Pal or the White House. These Auto gratuities are just a wage subsidy gone out of control. At the end of the day, the various cruise lines don't want to pay the whole of service crew wages. The cruise line pays them $500 a month, the make up to around $2000 comes from the tipping pool, AWS - Automatic Wage Subsidy.

It was terrible, last night on Island Princess recently, on the last night, the head waiters hanging around the tables in the MDR, eyes everywhere and taking the 'envelopes' containing cash from waiters, who had just received them from their pax. Head Waiters had lists of which pax had removed Auto tips, thus collected the envelopes from those who cancelled or reduced their tips and gave cash to their waiters. The seized money allegedly went into the 'tipping pool.'

I had a client once, looooong time ago, who tried to tip a Johnny Hop:eek::cool:

I had a client once, looooong time ago, who tried to tip a Johnny Hop:eek::cool:

I hope he/she got convicted Mr Gut. I don't mind you losing one like that.

Sentenced to 2 years hard labour. Thank you your Worship.

I hope he/she got convicted Mr Gut. I don't mind you losing one like that.

Sentenced to 2 years hard labour. Thank you your Worship.

Haven't done much crime for a long while now Uncle Les, from memory turned into a plea, I wive my magic and got him a weekends, but I may be wrong, must be 20 years ago, a big issue was that he was from a country where tipping bobbies was the norm and he didn't speak the lingo too good.

I'll tell you though had the bluey taken the tip I think they'd both have had a nice little holiday.

BTW, If you tried to tip the Police for doing a good job and pulling you over for speeding, you may end up with an 'Attempting to bribe an officer' charge as well.:eek:

They do have some odd jobs though.

I was really surprised to see that they expected helicopter pilots to be tipped!

What? They don't pay them enough? :eek: And what if they don't do a good job...? Just bizarre.

Nothing like a thread about 'tips, gratuities, whatever' to get the Aussies going and the blood running on the decks, so to speak.

Hope not too many of our USA friends are reading along, although they have some interesting discussions on the same topic from time to time - more often or not "Should I have given more" or "How much should I give'

For myself, I pay up if tips are 'expected' because we cruise all over the world, and I figure the fares would increase anyway if tips were incorporated. It is like tax and bank fees, don't like it but factor it in as part of the holiday expenses.

I am happy that, for a lot of cruises out of Australia now include the tips within the fare to be paid.

Besides religion, politics, sex, discussion about the Australian attitude to tips with aliens on overseas cruises usually do not end well at all.

Nothing like a thread about 'tips, gratuities, whatever' to get the Aussies going and the blood running on the decks, so to speak.

Hope not too many of our USA friends are reading along, although they have some interesting discussions on the same topic from time to time - more often or not "Should I have given more" or "How much should I give'

For myself, I pay up if tips are 'expected' because we cruise all over the world, and I figure the fares would increase anyway if tips were incorporated. It is like tax and bank fees, don't like it but factor it in as part of the holiday expenses.

I am happy that, for a lot of cruises out of Australia now include the tips within the fare to be paid.

Besides religion, politics, sex, discussion about the Australian attitude to tips with aliens on overseas cruises usually do not end well at all.

I agree, great post.:D

If someone did some research on 'tips on ships' you may find the practice goes back to very early days.

I took my new bride on the good ship P&O Orcades from Sydney to New Caledonia in 1969 for a week's cruise prior to a 1 year's holiday at the Government's expense to Asia, but I digress.

However, most of the service staff (ie, waiters etc) were Poms, cash was king - if you did not give a tip, in cash for a drink, then no more drinks for you!!!

We learnt this lesson well as we sailed out of Sydney harbour

No cashless systems then, cash at the bar and envelopes on the last night.

As the cruise was probably 100 per cent Aussie, the bar staff were well renumerated but I doubt anyone else got too much.

Nothing really has changed???

Edited by Bpos

Yes this is what I was getting at :)

If this practice exists - and I'm not doubting you - then it's UTTERLY DISGUSTING.

Such information should not, and never be in the hands of such staff.

On one of our past cruises, we were talking to our Stateroom Attendant. They also have a list of who has prepaid tips/gratuities and who have removed them.