Real Mexican Vanilla

luci

We are soon cruising to Puerto Vallarta. Can anyone tell me a good place to buy REALLY TASTY Mexican Vanilla? I am not looking for the kind you can buy here in the States, but the authentic one. Thank you for your honest input!

First off, it is imperative that the bottle be marked "No Coumarin" otherwise, the product is likely dangerous:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048613.htm

The other thing to know is that 99% of Mexican Vanillas are not pure. For the discerning customer, it is best to avoid these products. Besides those containing Coumarin, do not buy a vanilla extract that contains glycerin, corn syrup or sugar.

The place to buy vanilla in Puerto Vallarta is at Le Casa de la Vanilla:

Morelos 128, Centro, 48280 Puerto Vallarta, Jal., Mexico

You can make your own Vanilla extract very easily - in fact this is one of the easiest extracts to make at home and requires almost no work at all. Select a glass container with a stopper. Pour vodka into the bottle to almost the top, add in 3 vanilla beans which you opened with a knife. Store in a cool dark place (your pantry or a cabinet should work.) Shake daily for 1 - 2 weeks and you have pure vanilla extract. The extract will mature within 1 to 2 months. You can strain out the pods and seeds if desired, but this is not necessary. Top it up with more vodka as your supply depletes. You can also add in extra vanilla beans to make it even more potent. To make the vanilla mature more quickly, and reduce the alcohol content, you can heat the vodka to just below boiling prior to adding it to the vanilla beans. IMO, the DIY version is the BEST quality vanilla extract possible and I would do this before I would buy a brand from Mexico. This homemade extract will last for years, especially if you top it up with vodka as it depletes. The great advantage of doing it this way is that you can actually create vanilla's from different countries or create a meritage of vanilla beans for something completely unique. Some people substitute Bourbon, Brandy or Rum for the Vodka. You can also make Vanilla sugar - put white sugar in a glass jar and add in 1 opened vanilla pod. Seal the jar and shake once in a while. Easy!

Flavors of Vanilla:

Madagascar: Rich and creamy

Tahitian: Cherry chocolate

Mexican: Bold, dark and smokey

First off, it is imperative that the bottle be marked "No Coumarin" otherwise, the product is likely dangerous:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048613.htm

The other thing to know is that 99% of Mexican Vanillas are not pure. For the discerning customer, it is best to avoid these products. Besides those containing Coumarin, do not buy a vanilla extract that contains glycerin, corn syrup or sugar.

The place to buy vanilla in Puerto Vallarta is at Le Casa de la Vanilla:

Morelos 128, Centro, 48280 Puerto Vallarta, Jal., Mexico

You can make your own Vanilla extract very easily - in fact this is one of the easiest extracts to make at home and requires almost no work at all. Select a glass container with a stopper. Pour vodka into the bottle to almost the top, add in 3 vanilla beans which you opened with a knife. Store in a cool dark place (your pantry or a cabinet should work.) Shake daily for 1 - 2 weeks and you have pure vanilla extract. The extract will mature within 1 to 2 months. You can strain out the pods and seeds if desired, but this is not necessary. Top it up with more vodka as your supply depletes. You can also add in extra vanilla beans to make it even more potent. To make the vanilla mature more quickly, and reduce the alcohol content, you can heat the vodka to just below boiling prior to adding it to the vanilla beans. IMO, the DIY version is the BEST quality vanilla extract possible and I would do this before I would buy a brand from Mexico. This homemade extract will last for years, especially if you top it up with vodka as it depletes. The great advantage of doing it this way is that you can actually create vanilla's from different countries or create a meritage of vanilla beans for something completely unique. Some people substitute Bourbon, Brandy or Rum for the Vodka. You can also make Vanilla sugar - put white sugar in a glass jar and add in 1 opened vanilla pod. Seal the jar and shake once in a while. Easy!

Flavors of Vanilla:

Madagascar: Rich and creamy

Tahitian: Cherry chocolate

Mexican: Bold, dark and smokey

Thank you for your great response.

We are soon cruising to Puerto Vallarta.

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy REALLY TASTY Mexican Vanilla?

I am not looking for the kind you can buy here in the States, but the authentic one. Thank you for your honest input!

Thank you for your great response.

Don't buy the stuff that looks like it's been out in the sun on a tourist stand for several weeks.

And be advised, that some ship's security staff give you a hard time about bringing a bottle of vanilla on board

since it contains alcohol:D.:eek:

Fight the Power!

Edited by $hip$hape

Not to side-track you but I do a lot of baking and good vanilla is always something I need...I actually love the real vanilla you can buy at Costco (Kirkland Brand)...you might want to at least give it a try.

Not to side-track you but I do a lot of baking and good vanilla is always something I need...I actually love the real vanilla you can buy at Costco (Kirkland Brand)...you might want to at least give it a try.

This is what we buy too, and it's great. Wonderful flavor.

We are soon cruising to Puerto Vallarta. Can anyone tell me a good place to buy REALLY TASTY Mexican Vanilla? I am not looking for the kind you can buy here in the States, but the authentic one. Thank you for your honest input!

Vanilla is a bean. Any liquid vanilla extracts the flavor from the bean. The key is to find the type that uses the purest extraction method.

Don't buy the stuff that looks like it's been out in the sun on a tourist stand for several weeks.

And be advised, that some ship's security staff give you a hard time about bringing a bottle of vanilla on board

since it contains alcohol:D.:eek:

Fight the Power!

Thank you. I have seen vanilla being sold on outside racks and wanted to avoid buying any of that. Good advice about finding out if they will let us bring it back onboard without checking it in.

This is what we buy too, and it's great. Wonderful flavor.

Thank you. I have never looked at Costco, but on my next trip there, I will definitely look! Hopefully they carry it here.

Is this the Costco Vanilla you recommend?

IMG_1450.jpg.d4bef16470468e08db8501ce7539dc99.jpg

We are soon cruising to Puerto Vallarta. Can anyone tell me a good place to buy REALLY TASTY Mexican Vanilla?

I am not looking for the kind you can buy here in the States, but the authentic one.

Thank you for your honest input!

Your quest has turned into a Costco advertisement.

:o

We look for,

Los Cinco Soles

Natural Gourmet

Vanilla

Organically Grown

100% Original

:):)

We look for,

Los Cinco Soles

Natural Gourmet

Vanilla

Organically Grown