Half Moon Cay Question

cartervan

We're looking forward to a day at Half Moon Cay on March 15. For those of you who have been there in the middle of March, do you think the water will be too cool to enjoy a quick dip?

Not for us - but we're Canadian ;).

Define cold please? We saw lots of people in the water in March.

We're looking forward to a day at Half Moon Cay on March 15. For those of you who have been there in the middle of March, do you think the water will be too cool to enjoy a quick dip?

Sad to say this will probably be true. We were there in early Nov and for the first time for us it was fabulous. So fabulous, we even signed up for another cruise to these Caribbean waters now, in late January. Our prior HMC visits had never been so enjoyable, nor did we even even want to go swimming. Though the setting and the warm beach were very attractive. We hiked around the island instead or just enjoyed the free loungers.

After the fact I looked up ocean water temperature charts and sadly found we will most likely not be enjoying those same warm water in all of our ports at all at this time of the year, and that means all the way down to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. (Remember I like the mid-80s for water temps and that is just not likely this time of the year.)

Warm of course being a relative term as Kazu points out. Minimum enjoyable temperature for me is 84F degrees. Home swimming pools consider 78-84F range as desirable. Temperature charts for this time of the year put the averages in the high 70's. Better than room temperature but not no-tummy shock, bath water for sure.

We also ran into "cold" water on our Tales of the South Pacific Cruise last year too, much to my disappointment. However, what I do now it wear a rash guard top and long water pants, which helps create a mini-wet suit barrier and helps make this "cold" water temperature a little more appealing. Also provides a good sun barrier too.

Coolibar online catalogues has good examples of this underwater cover-up wear, but any surf/scuba shop can show you some cover-up options as well.

So from our own experience, it looks like the safest bet for warm HMC water temps is in the Autumn after the water has been "cooking" in the Caribbean over the summer months. By winter and spring it has all been sent north on the Gulf Stream and replaced by the much cooler, deeper waters from Africa and south Atlantic on the perpetual Gulf Stream "conveyor belt".

Edited by OlsSalt

Was just there this week and the water was swimmable and so worth it. It is so clear and sandy, calm and gorgeous. May have only been in the 70s but no one cared. The air temperature was in the 80's. Just do it!

my son and I were there in January 2016. I rented a clam shell. Was in the water 4 times, Enjoyed it tremendously! Go for it!

And be prepared to have your picture taken. The ship's photographer was right there in the water with us, taking his da

ily pictures.:D

Edited by SonnekeH
spelling

Here is the official Bahama's water temperature chart showing seasonal fluctuation - HMC is about the same latitude as Nassau: http://www.bahamas.com/faq/average-water-temps

Here is the daily Nassau water and air temperatures. https://www.seatemperature.org/central-america/bahamas/nassau.htm

Same Goldilocks system as cabin temperatures - 75 is too hot when traveling near the equator in the summer, 75 is too cold when traveling in Canada in the late fall. At any given time HMC will be too hot, too cold or just right.

Brrr ... 72 water temperature is too cold for me. But it is what it is. And it is brrrrr cold and rainy here in Southern California - (finally!) so all is good.

Edited by OlsSalt

I like to swim in warm water and have found HMC water to be too cool for me end of February inro mid march on a numbre of cruises but, of course, it varies. One time may be warmer than another.

Edited by sail7seas

We were there the end of last January, and will be there again in a week. We had no problems going swimming at all. Beautiful beach, sandy shallow water. Lovely! Hoping for the same next week. But then, we're Canadian, soooo cooler water doesn't faze us.:D

LOL. I know what you mean. Our pool is at 86 and the spa area at 100. :)

OMG - that's some warm water !

LOL - I don't want to swim in a bathtub ;) Or jacuzzi:D

But we are used to cooler waters. And as long as they are not too cold, it's refreshing to go from heating up in the sun and jumping in.

It's why I asked the definition of cool way back ;)

Everone's definition is different ;)

The waters great and not cold at all and I'm a Floridian!! Enjoy beautiful HMC!!

Daily report for Nassau sea temperature is 75 degrees - that is way too cold by me. Just with solar heat we can get our pool up to 90 degrees, and that is perfect for me. Okay maybe a little too much. But is is either 86 degrees or it is no go. Bummer.

https://www.seatemperature.org/central-america/bahamas/nassau.htm

We were just in HMC last week loved it. Our 7 year old great grand daughter loved it. Although we did see some people walk in and complain that the water was freezing. Different stroke for different folk. Dive right in & enjoy it. I think it's the best beach we've ever been at.

Allan

Bahamas -sea water temperature

(Quote)

Here is a monthly guide of our water temperatures:

Month Temperature

Jan-Feb 72°F-75°F 22°C

March 73°F-77°F 23°C

April 74°F-75°F 23°C

May 75°F-77°F 24°C

June 78°F-80°F 26°C

July 80°F-82°F 27°C

August 81°F-83°F 28°C

September 80°F-82°F 27°C

October 78°F-80°F 26°C

November 77°F-79°F 26°C

December 75°F-78°F 24°C

Edited by OlsSalt

We have been there twice end of Jan and loved it. We are from Cape Cod and enjoy the ocean for swimming in July August and September. Could take your breath away at first but then is so refreshing!!!! Different strokes for different folks!!!!!!😂 Cathy

Bahamas -sea water temperature

(Quote)

Here is a monthly guide of our water temperatures:

Month Temperature

Jan-Feb 72°F-75°F 22°C

March 73°F-77°F 23°C

April 74°F-75°F 23°C

May 75°F-77°F 24°C

June 78°F-80°F 26°C

July 80°F-82°F 27°C

August 81°F-83°F 28°C

September 80°F-82°F 27°C

October 78°F-80°F 26°C

November 77°F-79°F 26°C

December 75°F-78°F 24°C

23 degrees/ 73-77 F sounds just fine to me ;) Especially as we await the ice storm.

Seriously, that's a nice temp ;)