Royal, please add FOX NEWS.. Thank You

I agree, why not add Fox as an alternative to the current offering? As said above, watch if you want, don't if you don't, but having a choice would be nice.

I understand your intent, to avoid politics in this thread, but these days, is there even such a thing as a truly non-political TV based national "news" source? Harder to find than a unicorn, I believe.

During the Q&A session on the '16 President's Cruise, when questioned about it, Mr Bayley said RCI would consider broadcasting alternate news channels. I hope that wasn't just lip service.

Yes, trying to avoid a thread getting shut down. We had a great thread going on about the Inauguration not being Televised on RC ships while 2009 was, and most were behaving until the last post and it was gone within a minute after it was posted.

Someone who doesn't like FOX News is likely to come on here and rant, and then the thread goes down. I know CC has a engine running in the background that alerts them anytime a thread posts the T word.

Why can't we have multiple news sources.... that is all I am saying.

FAKE news on foxs

We are not asking you to watch FOX News.

Who has what on their news channel has nothing to do with this thread. It is to add a channel, that you may choose not to watch in your cabin. I will not force you to watch anything, why shouldn't we have the same right?

If others want to add other alternative news channels as well, that would be great to me.

As has been mentioned, you have deal with the following:

1) Whatever Fox would charge RCI in order to show the channel.

2) The technology to get the signal to the ship. Is Fox News already on the same satellite the ships are looking at?

3) The technology to get the signal to your cabin. Presumably the ships have a finite number of channel slots available. Are all of those slots filled? If so, yes, you would have bump another signal in order to put on Fox News.

I see nothing wrong with requesting a specific channel. However, no matter how "inclusive" you'd like to be or what "freedoms" you think are being kept from you, RCI must overcome the above three issues before adding any channel.

As has been mentioned, you have deal with the following:

1) Whatever Fox would charge RCI in order to show the channel.

2) The technology to get the signal to the ship. Is Fox News already on the same satellite the ships are looking at?

3) The technology to get the signal to your cabin. Presumably the ships have a finite number of channel slots available. Are all of those slots filled? If so, yes, you would have bump another signal in order to put on Fox News.

I see nothing wrong with requesting a specific channel. However, no matter how "inclusive" you'd like to be or what "freedoms" you think are being kept from you, RCI must overcome the above three issues before adding any channel.

We would at least like them to try. I was brought up to believe in trying, to not listen to nay Sayers (not addressed to you), and in Sales, the Sale didn't really begin until the Customer said No......

I think it is important that Royal knows many of their cruisers would like an alternative news source.

Not asking to remove a channel.

You keep saying that, but you aren't listening: We don't know for sure, but it may be an either/or decision that they can (or are only willing to) carry one news channel. So we are speculating why they may prefer CNN to be that channel.

Royal should be inclusive to all their patrons.

Well, now you are opening a real can of worms. Can you imagine how many political preferences there likely are on a ship with thousands of passengers? Certainly you can't expect them to carry a different channel for each of their political positions.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

I agree, why not add Fox as an alternative to the current offering? As said above, watch if you want, don't if you don't, but having a choice would be nice.

I understand your intent, to avoid politics in this thread, but these days, is there even such a thing as a truly non-political TV based national "news" source? Harder to find than a unicorn, I believe.

During the Q&A session on the '16 President's Cruise, when questioned about it, Mr Bayley said RCI would consider broadcasting alternate news channels. I hope that wasn't just lip service.

The mere fact that you refer to Fox as "alternate news" is telling.

Maybe they can just print a daily or every other day newspaper with the latest headlines and such, that you can pick up at Guest Relations. I think Celebrity does or at least did that. They have no problems printing all those advertisements that most people throw away. Just a thought.....

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would at least like them to try. I was brought up to believe in trying, to not listen to nay Sayers (not addressed to you), and in Sales, the Sale didn't really begin until the Customer said No......

I think it is important that Royal knows many of their cruisers would like an alternative news source.

And feel free to try. Personally, I don't think a thread on here with the request is the best way to go. If you want "the power of the people", then post asking people to email or sign a petition, or whatever.

It's also possible RCI *HAS* tried and elected not to (for one of the reasons I mentioned, or some other one).

You keep saying that, but you aren't listening: We don't know for sure, but it may be an either/or decision that they can (or are only willing to) carry one news channel. So we are speculating why they may prefer CNN to be that channel.

Well, now you are opening a real can of worms. Can you imagine how many political preferences there likely are on a ship with thousands of passengers? Certainly you can't expect them to carry a different channel for each of their political positions.

I am listening, but like me, you don't know for sure either, what is required to bring FOX News to Royal.

I am not speculating anything about other news sources. We would just prefer to have more choices. Why so much resistance over a channel on the TV? It is not shown in Public areas, but in the privacy of your cabin. Nobody would force anyone to watch. Right now, we have no other choice.

Edited by troykahack

Exactly, thousands of passengers from hundreds of countries.

Wow...talk about bigotry :(

You seniors will not be cruising much when your Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are cut, you will have to pay more, just letting you know here because fox won't tell you........

You seniors will not be cruising much when your Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are cut, you will have to pay more, just letting you know here because fox won't tell you........

I find it hard to believe anyone could depend on any of these for the funds to cruise often. We did over 35 days in the last 12 months and I am retired and nothing from SS yet for me.

Anyone who depends solely on SS to retire, miss the point of SS. Besides, if they are near retirement age, it would be way too late.

There is no such thing as a non-bias news network, or we wouldn't be having this argument in the first place because we would all be agreeing that Royal should have that one channel, right? The point is, Royal is a company that's looking to make money and there's a reason they haven't purchased the rights to show Fox News yet. We don't, and probably won't, know the reason ever. If they choose to purchase the rights in the future it's because it makes FINANCIAL sense for them. I get that people want choices, but Royal is under no obligation to give you them if it doesn't fit in their business needs.

Edited by Felix331

Imagine if every nationality guest that sails on Royal starts asking for their news channels to be aired. After all the name of the line is Royal Caribbean INTERNATIONAL.

Hey RCL Can you please add CNC3 news also?

Well they managed to add CNN without having to air a bunch of different international news channels. So it appears they are perfectly willing to select certain channels.

For a US based company, it's not really a stretch for them to carry Fox as well. In fact it appears their plan is to do just that.

There is no such thing as a non-bias news network, or we wouldn't be having this argument in the first place because we would all be agreeing that Royal should have that one channel, right?

Exactly. They all slant one way or the other. Basically whether a news channel is "biased" or fair depends on your viewpoint.

Agrees with me: Perfectly fair and reasonable.

Disagrees with me: Biased and shady

Personally I have no dog in this fight since I prefer to get my news online, which is easy to do on cruise ships these days.

Exactly. They all slant one way or the other. Basically whether a news channel is "biased" or fair depends on your viewpoint.

Agrees with me: Perfectly fair and reasonable.

Disagrees with me: Biased and shady

Personally I have no dog in this fight since I prefer to get my news online, which is easy to do on cruise ships these days.

Yes.... I agree

If they are limiting themselves to one major news channel, perhaps they feel that they are better off with a more mainstream offering like CNN. Fox News, while extremely popular with it's target demographic, presumably has less broad mainstream appeal.

This does not make sense. If more people watch FOX than CNN, then wouldn't that be more mainstream?

Fox News has one of the highest cost per subscriber in the industry (I think only ESPN and TNT demand a higher payment from carriers). If I remember the figures I read from 2015, it is double the cost of CNN (which itself is double the cost of MSNBC). I doubt the limit is technical and would guess it is purely financial reasons preventing it from being carried. $2 per tv per month adds up, and that is before paying the satellite and bandwidth charges.

If you dissect the limited satellite bandwidth argument you will find that 90+% of the TV programming currently shown on board does not stream live from the satellite. It is taped and replayed (sometimes for years on end).

All of the movies, old TV episodes, port lectures, shopping stuff - all of it is old and shown from tape.