Is it disappointing going on a Carnival Cruise after doing a Royal Caribbean cruise?

Carleeb12

What a lovely title to your thread.........

If you are comparing an older vessel like a Fantasy class ship to Royals Newest Oasis or Quantum class then perhaps you would be disappointed. I find most mainstream cruise lines are more similar than they are different.

Interesting thread. We started with Carnival, made our way to Royal, tried Holland three times and Celebrity once. Getting ready for our 25th cruise on Carnival and two upcoming Royal cruises.

I have been disappointed on the Carnival Paradise and the Majesty of the Seas. Both were because of the age and size of the ships and maybe familiarity does breed contempt.

But the only ship I was looking forward to debarking was a Holland ship.

So if you are going from the Oasis to the Fantasy, you may be disappointed. But the Carnival Magic is a great ship and you would likely enjoy it.

The two lines are more alike than different.

We've been on only one RCCL ship. Last year we sailed on the Mega Ship Allure of the Seas. It was HUGE!!! The entertainment was hands down the best we've ever seen. Full production of Momma Mia was wonderful. The diving show was spectacular. While we did enjoy the entertainment, the Lido dining area was way too small and always packed. Lunch and Breakfast often had long lines waiting to get in it because there was not adequate seating.

We pick cruises based upon the price and dates. Disney is about the only major cruise line we've not been on yet. They are so expensive!

I'm wondering the same. We love the oasis class as well as royals food, specialty restaurants, , kids program, shows, dreamworks etc. pricing a family of 5 for this year is coming into almost the same price for the vista or breeze. Next year prices similar, some a little cheaper and carnival has some great itineraries just worried the ship and food will be less of what we experience or like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done an even number of carnival and RCCL. Each had their good and bad points. ALthough I will never unless it's so cheap I can't say no, Take another trip on the Freedom of the Seas. It was a ways back, but having to wait 2-3 hours in the Customer Service Line and being lied to by them it doesn't help the cruise.

One person said your first is usually your favorite. My first was a Celebrity Cruise and I am trying to find a way to get back on it.

I am now doing a Carnival Cruise after Disney. Will I not like it? Not sure, but if I see anymore Character line ups I don't know if I would handle it.

The gist of it is that Royal and Carnival are much more alike than they are different. If you didn't know better, you may not tell much of a difference.

Royal has bigger, better ships with better shows and entertainment but can be lacking in port variety. Carnival still has perfectly nice ships with generally better ports. Service is similar - though we thought our last Carnival cruise the service was noticeably better than our last Royal cruise. But I don't put much stock in that - for every person who says the service was lacking on <insert ship here>, another person says best ever.

Any suggestions of "more classy" on either line are probably unfounded. The type of cruisers and amount of "classy" tends to have much more to do with the length of the cruise and time of year.

Our next cruise is on Royal's Harmony of the Seas because we love the ship, after that, I think we'll do another Carnival - maybe Vista, for the better ports.

It's comparing apples and oranges.

Each has their comparative strengths and similarities.

Also, what I regard as a strength might be considered a weakness by others.

But on a more fundamental level: do both cruise lines cover the basics of comfortable staterooms, cleanliness throughout, a good selection at the buffet, entertainment for most average tastes, etc then you need not be concerned.

Carnival has more shows in the evening. But RC boast that their shows are live. Carnival has the Blue Iguana but RC has a superior free pizza selection. RC has lots of free desert and snack options when the buffet is closed but Carnival has excellent deserts outside dining times too, but for a small charge.

And my post is rapidly descending into subjectivity.

Accept the differences. Don't let a few "minuses" spoil the cruise as the "pluses" will balance things out if you are genuinely open minded and not a bolted on fanboy or fan girl of one cruise line.

Thanks all. I think I need to book a carnival cruise and just try it. I was thinking the breeze or vista since we like larger ships with slit to do. I just with there a low or no deposit booking promo right now.

Will it feel anticlimactic?

Thanks all. I think I need to book a carnival cruise and just try it. I was thinking the breeze or vista since we like larger ships with slit to do. I just with there a low or no deposit booking promo right now.

Trying it for yourself is the only way to know.

We're all different about what we like, and don't.

Go for it!

Was on Royal in December & had a good time. Cruising Carnival in 8 days!!!! Will have a great time. Will be interested in comparing them - since they are close together!

You will enjoy yourself if you want to!

Reading this thread with interest as we just booked our first Carnival cruise, after going on several Royal Caribbean cruises. I am interested in seeing how the two lines are going to compare with each other, but regardless of what we find we are going to have a good time because we are going to roll with whatever it is.

We decided to try something different because this is our first cruise with the kids (ages 20, 16, and 14). Our RCCL cruises have been just my husband and I for anniversaries (our 10th and 20th) and for his 40th birthday, Maybe it was just the particular sailings we were on, but each of those three cruises were primarily adult passengers in their 30's, 40's and 50's. Perfect for us, but for three really active kids we thought the "fun ship" Carnival might be a better fit.

We also love Charleston and the convenience of being able to drive to the cruise port and spend a few days beforehand enjoying the city, rather than spending $1500 on flying the five of us to Florida, Texas, or California. We will save money and have a great time relaxing in Charleston before we board.

Carnival also had some better pricing right now on the 5 of us being in one larger cabin together, rather than splitting up. My kids are older now but I am not completely comfortable with them being in a separate room, even if it is right nearby. By booking one larger cabin on Carnival I will have more peace of mind with the sleeping arrangement, and even if we are a little crowded in one bathroom we will happily manage and nobody spends much time in the room on a cruise anyway.

Whatever it is, we are going to have a good time because we will be together and doing something fun and different.

I have to say I'm an equal opportunity cruiser! I started on NCL, then RCL, one stint on Admiral (no longer in service), then went Carnival, Carnival, Carnival, RCL, Carnival, RCL, Carnival, Carnival, RCL then went full circle and ended in NCL. And we have another NCL booked next month!

They are all pretty similar, depending on the class of ship you are on. We mainly decide on our cruise based on the price and port of departure. One thing to note, the last NCL cruise out of NYC has by far been our favorite! You just can't beat their price when they add the drink package and three nights of specialty dinning for less than Carnivals same type cabin! Those two things there is a considerable savings! We love the free style cruising offered on NCL, had never experienced it before and we didn't know what we were missing.

Bottom line, don't get stuck on on line. There is so much out there to experience and truthfully, every single cruise I've been on has been great! Even the ones back in 1976, when the ships really had nothing compared to what they have now!

As you can see from my signature- we try all different kinds of cruises. However, we have taken a little hiatus from Carnival for no particular reason- and we are going back next month- after a lot of deliberation- on the Sunshine. I am hopeful it will not be disappointing- as we have never really ever had a "bad" cruise. The reviews are kind of worrisome though!

In my opinion, I think the food is WAY better on Carnival! I really do not care for the food on RCCL at all- it all tastes the same to me no matter the venue. RCCL is mind-blowing in terms of the stage entertainment and ship size- but I think Carnival has way better night life and music. I think the staterooms are generally bigger with more storage on Carnival. There are give and takes, and so much of it has to do with the ship itself.

For example, we just did Harmony of the Seas over Thanksgiving- which is the biggest and newest ship in the world. All I can say about the ship is WOW! The entertainment is AMAZING and the ship is beautiful. But to be honest, the food was the WORST we have encountered in all our cruising, and the service was really poor on all levels. ( To be fair, I think they were still working out the bugs). We had a great time however, and certainly have no regrets about going. Nothing is ever perfect, it is just what you make of it.

I think the biggest challenge is not to compare everything in your head all the time. But if you are a go with the flow kind of person- it should be a great cruise! That being said, I will see after our upcoming cruise if I can take my own advice!

Have fun!

There have been many that have posted, and I don't have time to read all the postings. I have cruised over 26 years off and on, with 5 (NCL, Holland American, Princess, RCCL, Carnival) different cruise lines. We have liked all of the except NCL, and will NEVER ( unless free) do it again.

RCCL is OK, but to me, I felt like I had to pay a little more for their cruises, but then that is just me. A couple things about Carnival (the first one I mention may seem strange, but then that is ME) I like. Their beds. I feel like a baby when I get in their beds, and pull up the covers/comforter over me. Another thing. If you check, not much, but their staterooms, are a "tad" larger than other staterooms on other cruise ships.

I was on Freedom of the Seas my last two cruises before i sailed on Magic last May. In no way was I "disappointed" in going on Carnival Magic. In fact, it was my best cruise to date so far. I would be lying if I told you all that I preferred the ship itself over Freedom of the Seas. Those Freedom class ships are absolutely breath taking and have a true "WOW" factor to me. I can only imagine the Oasis class would be more of the same. I did however prefer most everything else on Carnival. The food was better, there were more included food options, much cheaper drinks and service every bit on par with what I got on Royal.

If I could get Carnival's great food and "fun ship" atmosphere onboard a Freedom class Royal ship, that would likely be my perfect cruise.

but RC has a superior free pizza selection. .

Man, I have to disagree :o Sorrentos pizza on Royal is not even as good as most frozen pizzas Ive bought from the store, at least on the Royal ships Ive been on. Carnivals pizza is handmade from scratch using fresh ingredients. Really no comparison to me in the two? You are right though, its subjective :)

Man, I have to disagree :o Sorrentos pizza on Royal is not even as good as most frozen pizzas Ive bought from the store, at least on the Royal ships Ive been on. Carnivals pizza is handmade from scratch using fresh ingredients. Really no comparison to me in the two? You are right though, its subjective :)

I am so with you! Sorrentos is awful, especially for gluten free pizza. Gross. Carnival Magic's GF pizza is THE best I have ever had, anywhere. That cruise was over three years ago, and I still think about the pizza. :D

I have been on 6 different cruise lines. RCL is the one that I cruise on the most, being a Diamond Plus, I get a lot of perks. This year I have a RCL, NCL & CCL booked. Sometimes I book for the itineraries, other times for the deals. They are all good to me.