Norwegian Dawn - Beaches, Villas, and Sunburn. 8 - 15 Jan 2017

WYTinman

It seemed that everyone had the same idea for the rest of our last sea day.

The hot tubs and pool deck were packed

31797582673_c95a9f2d8f_b.jpg

31766118144_67e884ce74_b.jpg

32609795485_0b48ba7a3f_b.jpg

31797157123_88cf55ced8_b.jpg

I think everyone had a good day even though it was our full day of this vacation.

32230061750_8d600957ae_b.jpg

I'll return later and give you my final thoughts of this Cruise and the Norwegian Dawn.

Edited by WYTinman

Does the Dawn have the same night time parties that the mega ships host? i.e., 80s, Glow, NNO?

Yes it does.

Although, I don't remember seeing an 80's party.

Sail-away (Due to the cold) and the Glow party were held in Bliss.

Norwegian Night Out was Monday, the first day at Sea.

Mark

At Costa Maya, are there options for people with limited mobility on the pier like there are in Cozumel (punta langosta) and Harvest Cay?

Yes there is.

The Red Trolley in the back of this picture runs up and down the pier

32404400912_bb523516e1_b.jpg

Edited by WYTinman

Was the cellars wine bar mainly empty? It was on our cruise on the Dawn last fall. It seemed like such a waste of space. It used to be hopping when it was the pearly king pub.

No.

Cellars was crowded from about 5:00pm until the last dinner seating. most people were there for pre-dinner drinks.

Late night the crowd was much thinner. Most everyone moved to Gatsby's or Bliss for late night entertainment.

Edited by WYTinman

Sorry it has taken so long to get back.

Work has been occupying my time.

Gotta pay for that sweet Suite.

We arrived back in New Orleans on time. Departure was easy and the city was waiting.

We decided to stay in town an extra day. With the early morning arrival our plan was to leave our bags at the hotel and check out the WWII museum.

I couldn't get a room in our go-to Embassy Suites. I decided on the Residence Inn on St. Peters St.

At around 6:00am that morning I checked the RI mobile app to check-in. They allowed me to set a check-in time for 10:00 that morning. It worked. The hotel had a room ready for us when we arrived.

Nice.

If you want to see pictures from the museum click on the picture below to go to my Album.

32057635610_78a7058300_b.jpg

National WWII Museum by Mark Davis, on Flickr

My final thoughts on the Norwegian Dawn.

I can only compare the New Dawn to the Norwegian Star, her sister ship.

1. I love the "New Look".

I'm not a fan of the bright colors of the old Norwegian decorating scheme.

2. Switching the location of Le Bistro and La Cucina. Works much better.

3. The layout of Gatsby's is better on the Star. The Cigar room and the stage next to the bar on Dawn makes the room feel much smaller.

4. Los Lobos is a great addition. I hope it gets expanded to other ships.

5. The La Cucina menu has changed for the worse. I doubt we will eat there again.

6. Moving Moderno upstairs to the old "Star Bar" and expanding O'Sheehan's really improved both spaces.

Though I do miss the Star Bar. The Mojito bar is a great replacement.
Need a Good Drink? See GARRETT at the Mojito Bar.

Overall I think NCL has done an excellent job renewing the Dawn. She feels like a new ship.

Of the Norwegian ships I've sailed on the Dawn is now my Number 2.

I still count the Norwegian Spirit as my Number 1 but the Dawn is close.

I Would like to thank everyone for following.

I will still entertain questions as they pop up.

Mark

31714220454_be92f463d0_b.jpg

Great review. Some of the best photography I have ever seen for a cruise review! Sorry if this has been asked already, what camera do you use?

Thank you Mumblez.

Most of the Stills were shot with a NIKON D810 using TAMRON 28-300mm or TAMRON SP 24-70mm lenses.

I used a Rokinon 14mm for the wide shots. (A great cheap lens)

I did shoot a few with my NIKON D7200.

The Videos and Timelapses were shot with a GoPro Hero 5.

Mark

Great review with some beautiful photos. Glad you enjoyed the new and improved Dawn. We will be on the Pearl next year out of NOLA and hope she looks as good. How did you enjoy Maya Chan? One of our favorite spots in the Caribbean. How was the seaweed? I know Mark does his best to keep the beach free of debris, but it was the only thing that made Maya Chan less than perfect. Thanks again for the review.

Great review with some beautiful photos. Glad you enjoyed the new and improved Dawn. We will be on the Pearl next year out of NOLA and hope she looks as good. How did you enjoy Maya Chan? One of our favorite spots in the Caribbean. How was the seaweed? I know Mark does his best to keep the beach free of debris, but it was the only thing that made Maya Chan less than perfect. Thanks again for the review.

I thought Maya Chan was the best beach day we had on the entire cruise.

Yes there is seaweed.

They have a man that walks the beach all day raking up the grass that does comes ashore.

For me, the presence of seaweed didn't detract from my enjoyment of Maya Chan.

Mark

2. Switching the location of Le Bistro and La Cucina. Works much better.

3. The layout of Gatsby's is better on the Star. The Cigar room and the stage next to the bar on Dawn makes the room feel much smaller.

4. Los Lobos is a great addition. I hope it gets expanded to other ships.

5. The La Cucina menu has changed for the worse. I doubt we will eat there again.

6. Moving Moderno upstairs to the old "Star Bar" and expanding O'Sheehan's really improved both spaces.

Though I do miss the Star Bar. The Mojito bar is a great replacement.
Need a Good Drink? See GARRETT at the Mojito Bar.

Overall I think NCL has done an excellent job renewing the Dawn. She feels like a new ship.

I Would like to thank everyone for following.

I will still entertain questions as they pop up.

Mark

31714220454_be92f463d0_b.jpg

Mark, totally agree they have ruined the La Cucina menu. The choices are terrible for appetizer, entrees and soup. I guess NCL thinks they made a good move, but it wasn't even worth is with the old UDP that made it free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have the 10 day New Year cruise booked for 2017 and your photos have me very excited about our upcoming cruise on the Dawn. I knew she had be through a dry-dock recently but was not sure what to expect. I love the new modern contemporary look and colours. We sailed her sister ship, the Sun, many years ago and had a great cruise. The Spirit is right up there too in my mind as one of my favourite ships. I'm hoping the Dawn becomes our new #1.

Great job on the review and the photos once again. I just picked up a D7100 and am looking forward to taking it on the ship to try to capture some of what you did.

I just want to say Thank You :) Mark, Your review was amazing as well as the videos and pictures. I cannot believe I missed this till last night when I found it. It has been three years since we sailed out of New Orleans on the Jewel and Darn I do not remember the walk being that far to board the ship. Everything else about the terminal looked the same including the Suite reception area. Your review has really gotten both my husband and I excited. Just 6 weeks from tonight we will be in New Orleans.

I am actually a bit more interested in calling in about an Upsell to the Villas. We are traveling with two other that are singles. One is in one of the Suites you gave up and we are in one of the aft facing suite on deck 10 while another is in a regular balcony. There is a Villa available for our sailing and this would be perfect for the 4 of us to move up to. Especially since during this cruise is the actual day of our 40 year wedding anniversary.

The Spirit is right up there too in my mind as one of my favourite ships. I'm hoping the Dawn becomes our new #1.

Great job on the review and the photos once again. I just picked up a D7100 and am looking forward to taking it on the ship to try to capture some of what you did.

Thank You. I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

If you want, check out the Photo review I did of the Spirit.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2360524&highlight=spirit

It is shot entirely with a D7200.

The D7200 and D7100 are so close in capabilities that you won't notice a difference. I know you will enjoy that camera.

Have Fun.

Mark

Thank you so much for your great review! We will be on the Dawn in 2 weeks and your photos and videos have just added to the anticipation!

I'm glad you had a wonderful time!

This picture size is great. Appreciate the shared photos.

Thank You CatwomanS and Sherrica.

I agree, the wait for a cruise is always "nerve wracking"

I just want to say Thank You :) Mark, Your review was amazing as well as the videos and pictures. I cannot believe I missed this till last night when I found it. It has been three years since we sailed out of New Orleans on the Jewel and Darn I do not remember the walk being that far to board the ship. Everything else about the terminal looked the same including the Suite reception area. Your review has really gotten both my husband and I excited. Just 6 weeks from tonight we will be in New Orleans.

I am actually a bit more interested in calling in about an Upsell to the Villas. We are traveling with two other that are singles. One is in one of the Suites you gave up and we are in one of the aft facing suite on deck 10 while another is in a regular balcony. There is a Villa available for our sailing and this would be perfect for the 4 of us to move up to. Especially since during this cruise is the actual day of our 40 year wedding anniversary.

Lisa,

First off, Thank You. I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

On the Villa upsell. I contacted the upsell department about 3 weeks prior to sailing.

Don't accept their first offer. Mine was about a full price upsell.

The next time I called they quoted me the same price as the first.

I then pointedly asked what they would offer me to upsell. She put me on hold and came back with a new figure that I could live with.

Keep trying until the price is right or someone else books the cabin.

Mark

I really enjoyed this review and the pictures. We leave on the Dawn April 16 and can't wait. The boat is beautiful!! Also, thank you for posting how it looks to board the board for the suites. I was nervous that it would be difficult to find the correct area for the suite guests but now I feel I am more prepared.