New Latitude Tiers

TheDougOut

The new rules that are valid when booking on or after Februar 3, 2017 are listed here (as I live in Norway, I only have access to the Norwegian webpage, so that is why my link has the "/no/" in the URL address, but other than that it is the same):

https://www.ncl.com/no/en/latitudes-rewards-program-enhancements

And it clearly states that you only get extra points for booking a suite or a Latitude insider offer if you book on or after February 3, 2017....

The rules may be different for citizens of different countries.

Don't worry, some people will whine no matter how few wine choices there are.

lol I maybe one lol I really liked the ruffino line of wines which are gone[emoji20]

Wasn't much of a selection on my last cruise nov/dec on the gem. Right now I'm into Pinot Grigio love the Italian ones not to fond of the Australian one (no offense) I like a nice glass with dinner . When you take those wine tasting classes they are never part of the ubp package afterwards.

Those people mocking of him for his desire to reach the Admiral tier are just jealous. I hope he is the first to make it there. He deserves it.

I read that there will be 32 guests at the Ambassador level when the new policy goes into effect. Accurate? Who knows.

I read that there will be 32 guests at the Ambassador level when the new policy goes into effect. Accurate? Who knows.

It would not surprise me that there are people with 700+ points already. When Royal Caribbean created the Pinnacle level (also 700+ points) there were already several people in that category. It is my understanding that the person with the most points has over 4,000 points.

It would not surprise me that there are people with 700+ points already. When Royal Caribbean created the Pinnacle level (also 700+ points) there were already several people in that category. It is my understanding that the person with the most points has over 4,000 points.

True I did meet an elderly lady whom lives on the cruise ships cheaper than the retirement homes if only she would hire me as her Psw I would be in heaven 24/7 lol

Until this thread, I never saw the need to book Haven Suites, except for the Epic & Later ships because of the Haven private dining room. Now, I'll have to rethink that view.

I only fly Business or First Class and I cruise the same. If you find that pretentious, it doesn't bother me one iota.

The airlines and the cruise lines must find folks like myself very important (VIP) or they would not have loyalty programs or Havens & Air Lounges.

If I'm paying a $1000/day, I expect a superior product & service than another paying $250/day.

But what about the people like my mom who every other year take my sisters family and my family on a cruise. Sometimes we stay in the Haven, sometimes balcony cabins. She is paying MUCH more than $1000 a day, especially if we multiple cabins in the Haven. However, she is only getting credit for her particilar reservation and Im still collecting my 21 points for a cruise I didnt pay. She pays more than $1000 when we are all in balconies too but she should be treated differently than you?

Maybe it should be based on what you pay.

Also, RCCL has many Pinnicale and above due to not so long ago up to about the 90s when your status was based on sailings, not days at sea. There were many retirees that would sail 3 and 4 nights and get the same credit I did for a 7 night cruise. We usually book two cabins for our family of four and when the kids were young, we didnt get any credit although the kids eventually did. My dd is 22 and Platinum on NCL, although I have nights lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by js

But what about the people like my mom who every other year take my sisters family and my family on a cruise. Sometimes we stay in the Haven, sometimes balcony cabins. She is paying MUCH more than $1000 a day, especially if we multiple cabins in the Haven. However, she is only getting credit for her particilar reservation and Im still collecting my 21 points for a cruise I didnt pay. She pays more than $1000 when we are all in balconies too but she should be treated different than you?

Also, RCCL has many Pinnicale and above due to not so long ago up to about the 90s when your status was based on sailings, not days at sea. There were many retirees that would sail 3 and 4 nights and get the same credit I did for a 7 night cruise. We usually book two cabins for our family of four and when the kids were young, we didnt get any credit although the kids eventually did. My dd is 22 and Platinum on NCL, although I have nights lol

Sorry for the confusion.

I was speaking of $1000 per day for 2 persons in 1 cabin.

But what about the people like my mom who every other year take my sisters family and my family on a cruise. Sometimes we stay in the Haven, sometimes balcony cabins. She is paying MUCH more than $1000 a day, especially if we multiple cabins in the Haven. However, she is only getting credit for her particilar reservation and Im still collecting my 21 points for a cruise I didnt pay. She pays more than $1000 when we are all in balconies too but she should be treated different than you?

Look, nobody is claiming that life is fair. If you want to compare costs, in 2014 I flew first class on American with points. All I had to pay was $20 security fee (about $10 each way - I don't recall the exact amount). Anyway, on the way home I flew into LAX. My luggage flew to New York. So, when I landed, I had to go to the lost baggage office. Some coach passengers from an earlier flight were already in line. I assumed they paid more than $20 each for their flight. They were not happy when the lady asked if there was anyone from first class and I raised my hand.

Fair? No. But that is what happened. It is one of the perks of being in a more expensive cabin or seat. It doesn't matter if you paid more for it or not.

It's nice to make your aquaintance, lassie.

One thing the world will never have enough of is Strong Celtic Women.

What part of Ontario are you from?

Before marriages broke up the annual fishing week, I used to cross over at Fort Francis to fly into the North Woods by float plane.

Before 9/11 cancelled the Amtrak/Via train between Chicago & Toronto, I used to go up for all the Blackhawk games at the Leafs. (I wonder if my favorite pre and post game pub is still around: The Cock 'N Bull ?)

Drop me an email and I'll send back the itinerary for the Dublin Easter Rebellion Tour. john e mcneal at m s n dot com

The Culloden Tour is a very easy DIY with the new Battlefield Historical Center. It has dioramas, short movies and all sorts of exhibits that prepare you in 45 minutes to walk the battlefield.

My ancestors were from the southern Hebrides Isle of Bara (you have a Big settlement of them in Nova Scotia :The McNeills of Bara)

At that time Bara was considered part of the the Irish Province of Ulster.

I'm from the part of Ontario know for North America s largest octoberfest and home to the blackberry (not the fruit) kitchener. Have sent you an email and thanks

Sorry for the confusion.

I was speaking of $1000 per day for 2 persons in 1 cabin.

Im paying over that for July 8 on Escape for my dh and me. When staying in the Haven with multiple cabins its much higher. Perhaps points should be given to those based on what they pay. There was no confusion. No worries.

Look, nobody is claiming that life is fair. If you want to compare costs, in 2014 I flew first class on American with points. All I had to pay was $20 security fee (about $10 each way - I don't recall the exact amount). Anyway, on the way home I flew into LAX. My luggage flew to New York. So, when I landed, I had to go to the lost baggage office. Some coach passengers from an earlier flight were already in line. I assumed they paid more than $20 each for their flight. They were not happy when the lady asked if there was anyone from first class and I raised my hand.

Fair? No. But that is what happened. It is one of the perks of being in a more expensive cabin or seat. It doesn't matter if you paid more for it or not.

No maybe my post is coming off not what I am trying to relate. Im the person that screams life is not fair. I work in a small private liberal arts college where everyone wants everyone to be equal and fair. No it aint happening. Not the way it works. I agree. And I wasnt comparing prices nor care to do research to remember and compare. Ill just keep reading now lol

But what about the people like my mom who every other year take my sisters family and my family on a cruise. Sometimes we stay in the Haven, sometimes balcony cabins. She is paying MUCH more than $1000 a day, especially if we multiple cabins in the Haven. However, she is only getting credit for her particilar reservation and Im still collecting my 21 points for a cruise I didnt pay. She pays more than $1000 when we are all in balconies too but she should be treated differently than you?

I was wondering if my dd is accruing points. She will be platinum when she is old enough if that the case.

Im paying over that for July 8 on Escape for my dh and me. When staying in the Haven with multiple cabins its much higher. Perhaps points should be given to those based on what they pay. There was no confusion. No worries.

When Royal Caribbean switched from points per cruise to points per night, I had eight cruise points and that was converted to 69 nights points. There was a big debate on what was fairer, points per night or points per cruise.

Princess uses both systems. Both NCL and Royal Caribbean give an extra point per night to those in suites. Royal Caribbean gives an extra point per night for solo cruisers. HAL gives extra points depending on how much you spend onboard. There is no system that is fair to everyone.

The national gas tax is about 18¢ per gallon. It is supposed to be used to maintain the roads. But all electric cars don't use gas, so they don't pay anything to help maintain the roads they are using. Now there is talk about using a different system to make that fairer.

However, even the current system is not fair when comparing all gas vehicles. Take two cars, both the same model. One has a V8 and gets 15 miles to the gallon. The other has a V6 and gets 18 miles per gallon. Both cause the same amount of wear and tear to the roads, yet the one getting 18 miles to the gallon is paying "only" 1¢ per mile while the one getting 15 miles per gallon is paying 1.2¢ per mile (a 20% increase).

Is that fair?

Edited by Cuizer2

When Royal Caribbean switched from points per cruise to points per night, I had eight cruise points and that was converted to 69 nights points. There was a big debate on what was fairer, points per night or points per cruise.

Princess uses both systems. Both NCL and Royal Caribbean give an extra point per night to those in suites. Royal Caribbean gives an extra point per night for solo cruisers. HAL gives extra points depending on how much you spend onboard. There is no system that is fair to everyone.

The national gas tax is about 18¢ per gallon. It is supposed to be used to maintain the roads. But all electric cars don't use gas, so they don't pay anything to help maintain the roads they are using. Now there is talk about using a different system to make that fairer.

However, even the current system is not fair when comparing all gas vehicles. Take two cars, both the same model. One has a V8 and gets 15 miles to the gallon. The other has a V6 and gets 18 miles per gallon. Both cause the same amount of wear and tear to the roads, yet the one getting 18 miles to the gallon is paying "only" 1¢ per mile while the one getting 15 miles per gallon is paying 1.2¢ per mile (a 20% increase).

Is that fair?

lol don't go there with gas as us Canadians pay way more then the Americans. Life isn't fair

Let's move on and get this post back on track.

Some off us may never experience the 700+ club but we will all enjoy ourselves in the hopeful journey!

I love ncl and will still cruise on some of her ships , I will also try some of the other lines as besides the ship I want to experience all the cultures of the world ( and I'm not joining the navy lol) so which ever way that I can attain that goal will be my method of travel and of course will always try to do it like a queen. Treat those better than how I want to be treated and have fun doing it!!

What an entertaining evening reading this thread. ha!

I remember when Royal Caribbean changed their tier levels and made it more difficult to attain some levels. There certainly was a lot of hoopla and fear then, too.

I don't cruise NCL often, I've only cruised 4 times and all 4 have been fairly last minute and never in a suite or a latitudes insider offer. So, 1 point per night is what i've received. I feel good that they are grandfathering the status otherwise, I'd be knocked back down to Bronze after "attaining" Silver, without sailing as a Silver yet. I have to admit, when I looked at the tier levels I was shocked at how easy it would be to become in their top tiers (with a bit of advance planning). It makes total sense they would have to eventually change.

I'm more upset I forgot to take that $100 chip I accidentally took home 2 cruises ago to cash in on my last NCL cruise.

But in reality, the changes that have occurred over the years in most cruise lines loyalty programs have cemented my faith in choosing my cruise based on itinerary, ship, price and how the cruise line "fits" me for that particular cruise. I've never cruised for status, and that likely will not change any time soon. I enjoy whatever perks they provide; there are no cruise lines where the perks are really worth the cost to stay loyal when there is a better itinerary or better price on another line that still fits my style.

Is that fair?

#1 - Yes, it is fair because the tax is based on the purchase of the gasoline, not on what each consumer freely chooses what to do with that gasoline.

#2 - You example is flawed...you make the error of assuming that all purchased gasoline is used to fuel vehicles. IOW, why should I pay a tax to fix roads when the gasoline will be used to mow my lawn? or power my electric generator?

#1 - Yes, it is fair because the tax is based on the purchase of the gasoline, not on what each consumer freely chooses what to do with that gasoline.

#2 - You example is flawed...you make the error of assuming that all purchased gasoline is used to fuel vehicles. IOW, why should I pay a tax to fix roads when the gasoline will be used to mow my lawn? or power my electric generator?

Because your lawn mower is throwing grass clipping into the street and your electric generator is being used to charge your all electric car.

The fact is I made no such assumption. I compared two similar gasoline cars and noted that electric cars don't pay anything toward the cost of maintaining the roads that they drive on. I did not say it was or was not fare that people that don't drive on public roads still have to pay a gas tax. This is an issue you should take up with your elected officials.

The tax is for road maintenance, not for gas line maintenance. Thus two cars that cause the same wear & tear on the roads should pay the same usage tax. If the tax is for gas line maintenance, then yes, the tax should be based on the amount of gas you buy. But it is for gas line maintenance, it is for road maintenance.

Edited by Cuizer2

They don't appear to have updated the levels online yet (at least mine hasn't anyway), so that probably doesn't indicate anything.

Having said that, I also havent got an email either, so perhaps they just haven't done them all.

I would expect the website to change on the 3rd, as you would still be based on the old tiers if you were boarding in the next few days.

However, it is very clear that your current status is protected. It says so on the program details and has been confirmed elsewhere. There is even a Facebook post around where they specifically say that the emails were incorrect if they show a decreased level.

Thank you. I don't have Facebook(such a sin I know lol), so I can't follow their posts. But thank you for the update. I actually already got another email stating that my tier would be protected.

I was wondering if my dd is accruing points. She will be platinum when she is old enough if that the case.

My understanding is that under the old scheme they did get awarded the points when they turned 18.

Whether that continues is unknown, although there is no particular reason why not. However there is then the question about the extra point for booking 9 months out.

My guess is that if they do accrue the points it is possible they will just be given one point per night, or two for a suite. You may have to argue for the extra point for 9 months out.

Your mom is choosing to make gifts to your sister and you. The gifts of the cruises can't be unbundled from the gifts of the points. She's not being denied points that she paid for; she's giving them away along with the cruises.

This is the main aspect of the inherent unfairness in most loyalty schemes, and there is nothing that can really be done about it.

The people who do best out of airline or hotel loyalty schemes are those people who travel a lot through work. They end up in upgraded rooms, first class seats etc for very little personal spend, whilst those individuals who pay much more out of their own pocket for a dozen or so hotel stays, or a few rounds trip flights each year, get much less.

There is no way that the providers can trace who has actually paid for the tickets, so it will never change.

For example, we could take your Mums example the other way round. Let's say I am arranging a cruise with a big group of family. Most of the others have never cruised NCL before, and never intend to again. If status was based on spend then I could get everyone to give me the money and I make a booking for the whole group, instantly giving me a big status boost even though I was staying in the cheapest inside cabin on the whole ship.

There is no system that is fair to everyone.

Fair is such a subjective term.... I think what you mean in this case is that there is no system that everyone finds equally advantageous, which is inevitable when people have very different preferences. I find that people's notion of "fairness" has a lot to do with "what's good for me".

Someone who mostly sails 3 and 4 day cruises will benefit from a system that rewards number of cruises. Someone who mostly sails 14+ day cruises will benefit from a system that rewards nights. Someone who mostly sails in more expensive cabins will benefit from a system that rewards dollars spent.

A cruise line will benefit from a system which maximizes its profits. Based on the way the airlines are going, I'd guess the cruise lines will eventually move to a system which rewards dollars spent even more heavily than it does now, so they will reward someone who pays list price for a Garden Villa in high season more than someone who upsells from a balcony into a smaller suite in early December.

Edited by havenfan

Doug,

I up sold, as recent as October from mini to DOS, 6 days prior to sailing.

Received the extra point but more important, got the 3 liters of liquor.

But even MORE important. Ignore the liquor list for DOS and GV.

Order what you want.

The bottles are a room perk, not a pick a perk at booking thing.