Carry out or to go boxes at specialty dining?

Bengalfang

More than once in this post people referred to not being able to reheat food. Someone even suggested that eating cold food was unsafe? No one eats leftovers out of the fridge? Or cold food? Cold pizza? And I am speaking strictly for leftovers. Specialty restaurants offering a walk up and order food to take out would create a huge problem.

We all make judgments throughout our day, it's human nature. Sometimes those judgments are reasonable and sometimes those judgments are unnecessarily harsh. Why is someone tacky because they choose to take with them the food they paid for? I don't understand that thinking. Let's discuss :)

Who decides if something is reasonable or unnecessarily harsh? MJSailors just had an opinion and expressed it. The post even had "IMHO" (in my humble opinion). Your opinion was different.

As for being "tacky", I don't think that it is. I'm not defending the opinion, I'm defending the right to express the opinion.

Who decides if something is reasonable or unnecessarily harsh? MJSailors just had an opinion and expressed it. The post even had "IMHO" (in my humble opinion). Your opinion was different.

As for being "tacky", I don't think that it is. I'm not defending the opinion, I'm defending the right to express the opinion.

Yes, TWO, we all have a right to our opinions. Let's leave it at that :)

We ate at Cagney's one evening and I couldn't finish my whole lobster. They packaged it up with the left over dinner rolls and I had a great (cold) lobster roll the next day for lunch! It was one of the best lunches I had on the ship! They delivered it to my room and I put in the fridg.

Just to clarify my former post.

I absolutely agree that taking a "to go" box from a neighborhood restaurant is a perfectly good idea.

The way some restaurants serve food, the portions are beyond a regular portion size.

Instead of wasting the food, taking it home and using it for another meal is good planning.

However, I think (IMHO) that taking a doggy bag from a restaurant on a ship is not using good manners.

The waitstaff will wrap up a remaining meal or offer to wrap a dessert and deliver it to the passengers's cabin.

That is how it is done on most cruise ships.

As a chef I will say if you are going to use the mini fridge to keep proteins for the next day's consumption it might be a good idea to pack a refrigerator thermometer. Anything between 40 and 140° is in the danger zone.

Those fridges are typically drink chillers. And sometimes don't meet those temperature requirements for food safety.

Better safe than sorry. The cruise ship is a terrible place to be sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMH15

when they swipe your card at restaurants, does it show your face on the screen, like at security?

im' unsure but now that you mention it, i think they only asked for my card at the specialties. guess they look up room info and see 2nd person has sdp too?

Just to clarify my former post.

I absolutely agree that taking a "to go" box from a neighborhood restaurant is a perfectly good idea.

The way some restaurants serve food, the portions are beyond a regular portion size.

Instead of wasting the food, taking it home and using it for another meal is good planning.

However, I think (IMHO) that taking a doggy bag from a restaurant on a ship is not using good manners.

The waitstaff will wrap up a remaining meal or offer to wrap a dessert and deliver it to the passengers's cabin.

That is how it is done on most cruise ships.

We have never had the waitstaff bring our leftovers to our cabin. They have always wrapped it for us and left it on our table for us to take with us.

i asked my friend if she remembers giving out her card at specialty restaurants. she's pretty sure she never did. they just took my card. i guess that means they looked up the room and if a 2nd person in the room had SDP they applied it. she only remembers givig up card for getting on and off ship and buying at gift shop

More than once in this post people referred to not being able to reheat food. Someone even suggested that eating cold food was unsafe? No one eats leftovers out of the fridge? Or cold food? Cold pizza? And I am speaking strictly for leftovers. Specialty restaurants offering a walk up and order food to take out would create a huge problem.

It's not so much that. But when the choice is to walk into the MDR for free and be waited on and have a meal served fresh course by course vs taking out a meal from a specialty to eat it cold in your room just to not waste the credit; MDR sure sounds better to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums