PASSPORT QUESTION - what should I expect from Carnival

CocaCola19

I have a upcoming Western Caribbean cruise planned. It leaves from Port C and stops in Mexico, Belize, and Honduras ports. I recently sent off for my passport to be renewed (which means I had to mail the old one back that expires in a few months). I also realized my daughters is going to expire in the next 6 months.

My questions: Have any of your run into problems with not having your passport? I know it is strongly encouraged (and I understand why), but do you know anyone that has been denied boarding with only a birth certificate and DL? I had to send my old passport back for the renewal. I debated whether I should have just not renewed it before the cruise because it still was valid (but it would have been within that ridiculous 6 month expiration date rule). I expect mine to be back but just in case..... I'm wondering if for some reason it takes longer than expected to get my new passport back should I make plans to travel to one of the passport places, or if I can just let it ride with the BC and DL.

Second, my daughters will not be expired, but will also fall into the 6 month rule. I have her birth certificate also. Both me and her dad are traveling so no concerns there. I did not have plans to renew hers before the cruise, but still have time to do the expedite service. I would rather just do it when we get back and not worry about timing.

Advice?

As long as you have a certified birth certificate and DL, you'll be fine. As long as you daughter has a certified birth certificate,she'll be fine. (Technically, Honduras does require 6-month validity, but I don't know how rigidly that is enforced on cruises.)

I think you are worrying for nothing.

Edited by GradUT

There is no problem at all traveling on a closed loop cruise withOUT a passport. Having one is always a good thing but many many cruisers do not have them!

An official birth certificate and if you are over 16 also a government picture ID like a driver's license and you are good to go.

I've always used my birth certificate and license. The only prob with ever had was the one RC cruise we took where they demanded my marriage license to show my name change from BC to DL. We almost missed the ship as my FIL broke into our safe and faxed it to them. Now I carry that with me too, but have never been asked for it by Carnival.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Too late now, but neither of you needed to rush for renewal because of any 6 month rule.

There is no such rule in the Caribbean.

Birth certificates have no expiration date, and they are legal, so an unexpired passport is no problem either.

Second, my daughters will not be expired, but will also fall into the 6 month rule. I have her birth certificate also. Both me and her dad are traveling so no concerns there. I did not have plans to renew hers before the cruise, but still have time to do the expedite service. I would rather just do it when we get back and not worry about timing.

Advice?

My Passport expires Februrary 2018 and I have a cruise scheduled for October 2017. I am not renewing it before this cruise. Your daughter will be fine. Take a DL and BC for backup if she is absolutely worried about it. They cant require you to have 6 months left on your Passport on a cruise that doesnt even require one.

Edited by ryano

I don't know how long you have before you cruise but I just renewed/upgraded from the passport card to the book and it literally took only 10 days from the day I mailed the renewal to the day my new passport was in my mailbox. That was without paying for expedited. It's pretty fast now.

I was wondering the same thing. We leave April 2 and my passport expires mid Nov. 17. I was under the impression that Honduras in the Caribbean requires at least 6 months? Was wondering if we would be ok or if should bring Birth certificates as well?

I was wondering the same thing. We leave April 2 and my passport expires mid Nov. 17. I was under the impression that Honduras in the Caribbean requires at least 6 months? Was wondering if we would be ok or if should bring Birth certificates as well?

If they actually require that than bringing your birth certificates wouldn't help;). It is my understanding that requirement applies to those arriving by land or air and there is an exception for cruise ship passengers.

You will be fine with a certified birth certificate. Also, the 6 month rule only applies to a handful of countries, and none of them are in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no idea where you get your info, but it is so incorrect, here are the Caribbean countries who follow the 6 month rule

http://www.travel2thecaribbeanblog.com/2014/01/is-your-passport-valid-for-caribbean.html

I have no idea where you get your info, but it is so incorrect, here are the Caribbean countries who follow the 6 month rule

http://www.travel2thecaribbeanblog.com/2014/01/is-your-passport-valid-for-caribbean.html

You forgot to add for land vacations. As Sparks pointed out it foes not apply to cruises as you are classfied as"in transit" when doing a port of call on a cruise ship.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I don't know how long you have before you cruise but I just renewed/upgraded from the passport card to the book and it literally took only 10 days from the day I mailed the renewal to the day my new passport was in my mailbox. That was without paying for expedited. It's pretty fast now.

Same for me. Took 13 days and that was only because of Christmas holidays. You can search on the passport website and see the status of your renewal/application. Not sure about your daughters though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums