How to you organize your luggage?

PeterGH

I pack everything in zip lock bags - every size from snack to 2 gallon. This comes after one flight where our luggage sat on the tarmac during a rainstorm and our clothes came out soaking wet. Lesson learned. I fold, then roll DH's t-shirts and golf shirts, packing 2 to 4 per bag, depending on the size, then squeeze all the air out. Suit jackets pack very well in zip-locks; just leave a little bit of air in the bag to provide a cushion and they won't arrived looking like a wrinkled mess.

Gee, I had to do a double take. I thought this was my post from years ago. We must have been on tbe same flight. We also has our suitcases soaked after being let on The tarmac. That is when I started using the zip lock bags. I have changed a little and do use the cubes for clothes that are machine washable. I still use the big zip lock bags for formals and dh's tux. One time I put a large trash bag in first but it was hard to deal with.

I am another fan of packing cubes. I got a set of eBags through Amazon for less than what eBags sells them for. It is amazing how it condenses all your clothes down. I am able to take a smaller suitcase that way. If only I could get my husband to convert! They also make unpacking much easier. A lot of the stuff I can just leave in the bag, slap it in a drawer, and call it done.

I always only use a carry on. We don't like to wait to pick up our luggage. I use some packing cubes. Mostly for small items, then you can just pop them in the drawers on the ship. Otherwise I do a mixture of rolling and folding. I also always under pack.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many, many years I wrote up my own packing lists as to what was to go into each suitcase. When computers came along, I put them on the computer.

We take 4 large suitcases and split our clothes between them. That way if one suitcase goes astray, no one is without clothes.

The shortest cruise we do is 14 days with pre and post hotel stays.

A cheaper but effective way to prevent wrinkling is to pack things like casual tops, neatly folded, is to place them in 2 1/2 gallon Ziploc bags, lay them on a flat surface and "burp the air our before sealing. I have used this method for years, and almost never need to press anything due to wrinkling because of shifting during travel.

Smaller ziplock bags can be used for undergarments and other smaller items.

I've tried rolling clothes, but I have found that they tend to be more wrinkled when they are unpacked.

When folding slacks into a suitcase, use large plastic shopping bags laid where you plan to make the folds to reduce the chance of fold lines.

Caution ... when you use packing cubes and/or ziplocks, be careful to not exceed the airlines weight limits for checked bags, if you are flying to the port city. Because more clothes can be fit into your luggage, it's too easy to wind up overweight. After paying the penalty fee for a too heavy suitcase once, I purchased my own luggage scale.

If you are arriving in the port city a day or more in advance, it makes it easier if you put the clothes and other items you will need for that time in a carry-on size suitcase. Then you won't need to be digging around in your main suitcase for clothes for that part of your trip. It just simplifies things!!

We bung everything in until the case is full. After that, nothing else goes. If we want to add something, we need to take something else away. We absolutely limit ourselves to one specific size. We are also very congnizent of weight since we only travel with what we can each physically handle. If we cannot easily carry it up a flight of stairs it stays at home.

Edited by iancal

Packing for a cruise is definitely different than packing for a "if this is Tuesday it must be..." land-based bus tour. The former, you unpack in your new home and slide your suitcase under the bed; the latter, you live out of your suitcase!

The most organized I ever packed was for a 26-day transAtlantic + Mediterranean cruise. With carry-on sized suitcases, one each. I have the packing lists for that trip on the computer and use as the template for other tours or cruises adjusting for climate and planned activities.

My methods are a combination of several of the above. Have and take with a luggage scale (airlines are enforcing carry-on weight limits). Ziplocs of many sizes for organization, cross-packing, and protection. Even though we attempt not to be separated from our bags on flights, you never know when you might be told you have to check or gate-check your luggage! Then there is the almost negligible risk of giving the cases to porter dock-side. So, one pant and two tops plus socks and undies for each go in the other's case. And I pack our heavier shoes jammed full of rolled socks against the wheeled end of the cases, so that we can wear our more comfortable easy-off&on shoes through security and on the plane.

I do have a possibly unique mini-bundling I do with DH's washable shirts and that is: PACK THEM ON DRY-CLEANERS HANGERS. Button or partially button on the hangers, lay on bed stacked, fold all sleeves in, 'roll-fold' the hangers down the shirt in a rectangle, pack the rectangle. Unpack by reversing the foldup, give them a shake, and hang up the hangers. This is only for cruises; I find bundling a hassle for living out of suitcase. The last thing in each suitcase is a long raincoat -- at least if there is ANY chance of rain! I place a empty plastic bag over the clean clothes, that can later be used for dirty clothes, then the raincoat. So it can be got out easily if needed.

When spending the night before boarding, I would put nightclothes in a zippy in the daypacks that are our personal items. The daypacks also hold all toiletries (3-1-1 and 'dry'), all electronics and chargers, a maximal first-aid kit, items for making the cabin more comfortable, and a (small) knitting project for me!

Edited by crystalspin