First time cruiser - Restaurants worth it?

angie91407

This will be our first cruise and we're wondering if paying the extra $35 per person is worth it at the restaurants, or should we just stick to the other foods that are included on the cruise? If it is worth it, which restaurant would you recommend? We will be on the Vista Feb. 5th.

The steakhouse is well worth it and if you go on the first night of the cruise they include a free bottle of wine - but the food is so good, on Carnival we go 3 - 4 times during a cruise. Also, the chef's table on Carnival is outstanding - but you have to book this ahead through the steakhouse email and then it is fairly expensive since it includes wine and a 3 - 4 hour experience - but WOW! If you are a foodie, you will definitely appreciate the Chef's table! The sushi restaurant is mundane and I really dislike their Italian restaurant - but then I've been eating real Neopolitan food all my life, so it pales by comparison and I felt like most of the food was inedible - but there are others here who loved it. As to stuff like Guy's Burgers - I guess if you love burgers that would be good, but I'm not into burgers, so I really can't say if it is worth it. Since it is your first cruise, all of this will be new to you and what I would say is try everything you want to try and just have a wonderful time. Did you know you can get a spa pass for the thermal suite for the week at the spa on the first day of the cruise? That is something we always do as well and find it to be worth it.

This will be our first cruise and we're wondering if paying the extra $35 per person is worth it at the restaurants, or should we just stick to the other foods that are included on the cruise? If it is worth it, which restaurant would you recommend? We will be on the Vista Feb. 5th.

Welcome to CC. You may also want to ask your question on your Roll Call and on the Carnival forum. You may get more recommendations/suggestions there. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

We always try every specialty restaurant whenever we cruise. It is part of the experience of discovering new things, which is why we are on a cruise in the first place. We consider exploring them just as worthwhile as exploring new ports we visit. After all, we are on vacation. This is the time to stretch one's wings and try different things. We will settle on the routine at home, but not on a vacation. Vacation time is just too precious to waste it avoiding new experiences.

We try to do them once or twice on a cruise. Sort of take the whole special cruise experience one notch up. On next cruise we get a dinner as part of the promotion we booked under but also plan to try out the other up-charge venue (Italian) just to check it out. Even though we knew the venues on RCCL we learned we had some favorites at those so ended up doing two. It's a lot easier though to do that on longer cruises like the transatlantics - especially as a break from the MDR. On a 7nt it can take a little planning around the MDR menu.

If this is your first cruise, probably not worth it. The food in all the included venues is very good, with lots of choice and variety. Try them all, that will keep you interested enough. As well, unless you have a lot of extra money to throw around, why not use your money to explore the ports you will be visiting? Pay for a taxi to drive you around for a couple of hours, or for an adventure in some place you may never visit again. Unless you're dying to have a really fancy steak served by a server in a better outfit. That's your decision.

I really think the specialty restaurants are for people who have a lot of spare cash and who cruise a lot so they're a little bored with the usual fare. They might be looking for something more, and have the money to pay for it.

I've cruised a bunch and never eaten at the specialty restaurants. They plan out the MDR dinners so well there is almost always something different to try there. Now if you're on a longer cruise you may want to, or if you've cruised one line multiple times. Next time I do Carnival I will prolly want to try some specialtys as I've definitely done all the MDR meals by now ;)

On nearly 50 cruises we have eaten in specialty restaurants twice. Both times they were complementary. One we would return to if again, it was free. the other not. We feel the MDR or buffet food is just fine for us, and we like the traditional dining experience. I would only pay for a specialty restaurant if the MDR/buffet were so bad I couldn't find enough to fill me. And next time I would sail a different line. EM

the only time we've eaten in a specialty restaurant was when we were gifted with a complimentary dinner. We're not foodies so the MDR is fine for us on Princess (in fact, one of my hubby's favorite things to eat on our cruises is the grilled chicken sandwich at the poolside grille).

On HAL, Celebrity, and Cunard the MDR's are totally satisfactory, and dinner at a table with a group you get to know is one of the pleasures of cruising. On NCL, we found the MDR food not that good, and the service really disappointing so, if we ever cruise NCL again (which will only be if the have a very desirable itinerary), we most probably will use the specialty restaurants for dinner.

I attended a cooking demo on Pride in the steakhouse and they prepared a couple of side dishes that are only available in the steakhouse and if those dishes were any indication then the steakhouse would be well worth it. The problem for me is that DW is not much of a beef person and I don't want to pay $35 for a chick breast (no matter how great it tastes):o.

Taking a cruise and then refusing to try the specialty restaurants because they cost more is like dining at Ruth's Chris and ordering the cheapest item on the menu because you don't want to pay more than absolutely necessary. Yes, you will probably enjoy the taste of what you order, but you are missing the opportunity to try something even better or more interesting that you may not get the chance to try again. Considering what a cruise costs, including travel, excursions, souvenirs, etc, the additional cost of a meal in a specialty is quite minor. I realize for some people it's the principal ("I already paid to eat in the MDR, why should I have to pay even more?"). But isn't a vacation a time to enjoy experiencing new things rather than standing on principal?

Edited by sloopsailor

Taking a cruise and then refusing to try the specialty restaurants because they cost more is like dining at Ruth's Chris and ordering the cheapest item on the menu because you don't want to pay more than absolutely necessary. Yes, you will probably enjoy the taste of what you order, but you are missing the opportunity to try something even better or more interesting that you may not get the chance to try again. Considering what a cruise costs, including travel, excursions, souvenirs, etc, the additional cost of a meal in a specialty is quite minor. I realize for some people it's the principal ("I already paid to eat in the MDR, why should I have to pay even more?"). But isn't a vacation a time to enjoy experiencing new things rather than standing on principal?

If I'm happy with the food in the MDR why should I spend money in the specialty restaurant? I've had really good steaks before, I've experienced that, don't need to experience it on the ship to know what they taste like;).

If I'm happy with the food in the MDR why should I spend money in the specialty restaurant? I've had really good steaks before, I've experienced that, don't need to experience it on the ship to know what they taste like;).

I feel the same way. There's even been a few times, like when I was on the Sunshine, where the Flat Iron steak tasted as good as Filet. If I ever get bored with MDR I might go specialty for a change but in 14 cruises it hasn't happened yet but I wouldn't equate MDR to ordering the cheapest thing on the menu.

One thing I would say about the specialty restaurants, is it helps if you have a big appetite. The portion sizes are large, and there are several courses. In some restaurants they do a la carte pricing so that wouldn't be an issue, but in the steakhouse I always had to eat only part of the courses to be sure I had room for the rest. In other words, food was wasted, and I felt bad about that...but money was partly wasted, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will agree with the post that if this is your first cruise that you should likely stick with the "free" restaurants that you have already paid for in your cruise fare.

In future cruises you can become more adventurous and try one or two per cruise.

When we first started cruising I would always book an Ocean View cabin.......then once we were upgraded to a Verandah because of a problem in our cabin...........THEN, a Verandah cabin became a requirement....:rolleyes:...THEN on Celebrity we were in Aqua Class and THEN THAT became a new standard:confused:.

Stick with the main restaurants for at least a few cruises!!!

Having only cruised with Carnival, I have tried quite a few of the specialty restaurants - I found the sushi, steakhouse and asian noodles to be average. I throughly enjoyed the appetizers at the Cucina del Capitano.

However on some of the larger ships, you can try these places for lunch and not pay the dinner up charge.