U.S. Passports Cards

sail7seas

When I renewed my passprt, last year, I also got a passport card and hope to use it for my upcomng crruise for rebvoarding the ship in port. In place of my DL on port day, I want to use the Pasporrt Card to enter the secured area in order to rwboard the ship...... Has anyone used a passport card in that way and was it a hassle that I should nix and jjust use my DL like I've done in the past? Thanks.

Edited by sail7seas

The Passport Card is a government ID...so it works fine for reboarding at the ports that require a government ID. Another government ID, that we have used, is the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System). Bottom line is that any government ID with a picture serves the purpose.

Hank

The Passport Card is a government ID...so it works fine for reboarding at the ports that require a government ID. Another government ID, that we have used, is the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System). Bottom line is that any government ID with a picture serves the purpose.

Hank

Thank you, Hank. That was my thinking. How could it not b e okay but ...... :D One never knows. :) Of course, I will have my passport for embarkation day.

Since you could use it to board on embarkation day there is no reason it can't be used in the ports.

The reasson I question using is bwecause on port day when returning to the ship, the photo ID is presented to the local security personnel, not ship's staff.. The locals may not be comfortably familiar with U.S. passport cards?r

Edited by sail7seas

Since you could use it to board on embarkation day there is no reason it can't be used in the ports.

Your passport belongs in your cabin safe, never take it off the ship and into port. We were required to take our passport and turn it over to Turkish immigration, other than that it always stays onboard

The people in the ports don't care if it is a gov't issued photo ID. As long as it is a photo ID that looks relatively like you and the name matches your cruise card. I don't carry my DL on cruises, because I don't plan on driving. If I need a photo ID, I use my military ID. And the only ports that I can remember being asked for an ID are Bermuda and Nassau. EM

My Military ID is so old, it is of no use, the photo is me, and I suppose they could see some resemblance,, but LOTS of years have intervened and I've done lots of living. I only take my passport off the ship in ports where the country's law requires it be carried. I think Spain might be one of those countries. I never take my passport off the ship otherwise The ship held our passports on an itinerary that included Israel.

I have a laminated color photo of the pass port I think the passporrt card might come in handy I'll see. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We use on Passport CARDS as our government issued Photo ID and have never had a problem using them when returning to the ship in ports of call.

Our Passport BOOKS remain in our safe unless we are told to take them with us. :)

Perfect. thank you. :) Happy I asked.

The reasson I question using is bwecause on port day when returning to the ship, the photo ID is presented to the local security personnel, not ship's staff.. The locals may not be comfortably familiar with U.S. passport cards?r

If you want to look at it that way are the locals familiar with the photo ID's issued by 50 states, territories, local governments, etc.? They are looking for something with your picture on it.:)

Your passport belongs in your cabin safe, never take it off the ship and into port. We were required to take our passport and turn it over to Turkish immigration, other than that it always stays onboard

I was talking about the passport card which could be used to board at the embarkation.

That is provided Sail is going on a closed-loop cruise. If she is doing something else, it's passport or nothing to embark, but passport card for port visits, correct?

I use my GE card as my ID everywhere I go. The only place it has been questioned so far as a legal ID is at the TSA checkpoint :rolleyes: I've had to tell the clerk to look at the first 10 listed IDs on their "accepted documents" list and they will find the GE card...

We use on Passport CARDS as our government issued Photo ID and have never had a problem using them when returning to the ship in ports of call.

Our Passport BOOKS remain in our safe unless we are told to take them with us. :)

That is provided Sail is going on a closed-loop cruise. If she is doing something else, it's passport or nothing to embark, but passport card for port visits, correct?

Exactly.

I am on closed lloop but good you ointed that out go otthrrs reading here who could be confused and have an unpleasant surprise if tthey do not know about that specific factor.

I use my GE card as my ID everywhere I go. The only place it has been questioned so far as a legal ID is at the TSA checkpoint :rolleyes: I've had to tell the clerk to look at the first 10 listed IDs on their "accepted documents" list and they will find the GE card...

Exactly.

I am on closed lloop but good you ointed that out to othrrs reading here who could be confused and have an unpleasant surprise if tthey do not know about that specific factor.

: slider girl I use my GE card as my ID everywhere I go. The only place it has been questioned so far as a legal ID is at the TSA checkpoint :rolleyes: I've had to tell the clerk to look at the first 10 listed IDs on their "accepted documents" list and they will find the GE card...

They are more likely to prefer the passport cards versus 50+ types of US drivers licenses.

Oh stop. Don't be scared. My passport is in my pocket EVERY time I leave the ship in a foreign port.:rolleyes:

Oh stop. Don't be scared. My passport is in my pocket EVERY time I leave the ship in a foreign port.:rolleyes:

Not if you're on a ship that requires their surrender to the purser at embarkation. How would you handle that conversation?

In all honesty (and although you probably won't change your mind about it), ask any crew officer (ship, plane, etc) what they do with their passport and the last thing you'll hear is "I carry it with me every time."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not if you're on a ship that requires their surrender to the purser at embarkation. How would you handle that conversation?

In all honesty (and although you probably won't change your mind about it), ask any crew officer (ship, plane, etc) what they do with their passport and the last thing you'll hear is "I carry it with me every time."

What are you talking about? :confused: If it is required to turn the passport in then you turn it in. But in places where you don't I take it with me. Italy, France, Mexico, Canada etc etc etc It was in safe in my pocket when I walked off the ship. (or in the case of places like Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica etc etc when I stepped out of the airport then later out of my hotel). some folks on their board are so scared that they might lose it that they leave it behind. Which to me is insane. I would much rather have it incase I needed it while traveling. Granted the "safe bubble" most cruisers stay in while in port it wont be needed but one never knows. I was stopped at a random check point in Colombia one time and had to show ID. I've also been asked for it while in the D.R. and these places didn't gave a darn about my TX (at the time) drivers lic. The only wanted to see my passport. (and I was not going to play games with an id in a foreign country. their playing field, their rules)

What are you talking about? :confused: If it is required to turn the passport in then you turn it in. But in places where you don't I take it with me. Italy, France, Mexico, Canada etc etc etc It was in safe in my pocket when I walked off the ship. (or in the case of places like Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica etc etc when I stepped out of the airport then later out of my hotel). some folks on their board are so scared that they might lose it that they leave it behind. Which to me is insane. I would much rather have it incase I needed it while traveling. Granted the "safe bubble" most cruisers stay in while in port it wont be needed but one never knows. I was stopped at a random check point in Colombia one time and had to show ID. I've also been asked for it while in the D.R. and these places didn't gave a darn about my TX (at the time) drivers lic. The only wanted to see my passport. (and I was not going to play games with an id in a foreign country. their playing field, their rules)

Reread your own post: "EVERY" time I leave the ship. Hard to do if the purser has it.

We wrere in DOm. Rep;. on r Rotterdam. We had color copies, laminated of our pasports, our DL and our cruise ID card. When asked for ID< the Dom rep. offficials were perscxly ly fine with that as ID. No problem. they said the ship's ID was rreally what they most wanted to see in that circumstance. We kndew we'd be fine as yrssssrds before that we that had done a numb er of resort stays in Santo Domingo before we had passports. We entereed on DL and B C in those years and had no issue either in Dom. rep or when returning to U.S. THEN we started going to Euroope, smartened up and got passports..

Passport cards are also good for open jaw sailings leaving one US port and coming back to another provided you'll be returning from Canada, Bermuda, Mexico or the Caribbean.

Everyone has their own comfort level. I have both the passport book and passport card. I take both when cruising the Caribbean because if for some reason, I need to fly home- I would need the passport book. Like others, I use the passport book to check in/embarkation and keep it in the safe for the rest of the Caribbean cruise. I always take my passport card with me when I leave the ship at port since I feel more comfortable with an I.D other than my sail pass. Moreover, my family will mostly do boating/water related activities so if it gets wet - no big deal. If I lose it, I have my passport card on board.