Norfolk?

mafig

Norfolk has a lot to offer. At port is the navy ship Wisconsin, naval mueseum and a national maritime museum, Naticus. A great, upscale mall is a few blocks walk away as is Granby street with plenty of restaurants. You can take a trip to botanical gardens or Navy base tour, both are close. Take the ferry to Portsmouth and walk to the restaurants or walk through the graveyard at an old church, graves from civil war times.

You can walk along the waterfront and see the Elizabeth river, walk through a small oriental garden with a pagoda next to port, walk through old neighborhoods with cobble stone streets. Don't stay on the ship. You will miss a lovely sea town.

I see that Sirena's itinerary to Bermuda (April 2018) has a stop in Norfolk.

Why?

Please educate me. Norfolk doesn't seem very appealing. Am I missing something?:o

Never underestimate the lure of a "new" port, i.e one as yet largely unvisited by Oceania's well heeled, better traveled clientele-

Norfolk has a lot to offer. At port is the navy ship Wisconsin, naval mueseum and a national maritime museum, Naticus. A great, upscale mall is a few blocks walk away as is Granby street with plenty of restaurants. You can take a trip to botanical gardens or Navy base tour, both are close. Take the ferry to Portsmouth and walk to the restaurants or walk through the graveyard at an old church, graves from civil war times.

You can walk along the waterfront and see the Elizabeth river, walk through a small oriental garden with a pagoda next to port, walk through old neighborhoods with cobble stone streets. Don't stay on the ship. You will miss a lovely sea town.

Thanks, Lizard13. Sounds good.

(We've been to Williamburg.):)

I see that Sirena's itinerary to Bermuda (April 2018) has a stop in Norfolk.

Why?

Please educate me. Norfolk doesn't seem very appealing. Am I missing something?:o

No you have it pretty correct..its a heavy shipbuilding and Navy port... it is 100 miles to anything decent.. they have some killer bars in Little River

But there are 2 things to do in Norfolk...and one is to leave....

They also stop in Port Canaveral

"YAWN"

YMMD

Seeing NASA, touring cape Canaveral and seeing the place where men left the earth for the first time in history.... Kennedy space center Astronauts hall of fame, Spaceshuttle SaturnV, IMAX, several experiences like the shuttle experience... and others.... maybe not as good as the canadian space center.... but we down here are trying

Here's a list of Oceania excursions as a sample of things to do: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/new-england-cruises/port-norfolk-ORF/excursions/#all

Williamsburg is on the list. Number of military museums in the city center.

Williams berg is one giant rip off... do not go to the visitor center and pay $$$$ for what is a bus ride... go to to the parking lot my the town and walk in there is no entrance fee.... you will pay 30 to 60$ for a 10 min bus ride. Drive in park, walk around for free and you will see a few boarded up buildings, a lot of colonial flavor shops and some half baked exhibits...with poorly informed remployees playing colonial....pretty sad It was a huge disappointment unless you want to see a crass cash machine at work.

I went because my wife wanted... and after 40 min she was so depressed and saddened by the commercial honkey tonk she wanted to

leave.......rather head ofer to York Town National Hoistoric park and James Town.....its authentic, not commercial and 10 times better.... and jusrr a few miles away....

Williams berg is one giant rip off... do not go to the visitor center and pay $$$$ for what is a bus ride... go to to the parking lot my the town and walk in there is no entrance fee.... you will pay 30 to 60$ for a 10 min bus ride. Drive in park, walk around for free and you will see a few boarded up buildings, a lot of colonial flavor shops and some half baked exhibits...with poorly informed remployees playing colonial....pretty sad It was a huge disappointment unless you want to see a crass cash machine at work.

rather head ofer to York Town National Hoistoric park and James Town.....its authentic, not commercial and 10 times better.... and jusrr a few miles away....

It's hard to type while trying to pick my jaw up off the floor, but wow! Where to begin!

First off, your admission fee covers bus transportation but also admission to the historic buildings and museums. Of course you can park where you like and stroll the beautiful historic area for free--we have done that often--but to get the most from a visit, we buy the tickets and engage with the interpreters. Visitors to the gunsmith can learn about 18th-century weapon-making; a trip to the bakery or printery will give you insights into the way Colonial artisans plied their trade. Stop at the House of Burgesses to see how the Colony of Virginia was ruled, and to learn that at various times Virginia, theoretically, extended west to the Pacific Ocean, north to the Great Lakes, and south to Georgia. It was big. A visit to the Governor's Palace will show you how the powerful expressed their political and military power, while a visit to the quarters of enslaved people will reveal the hard foundations of a hierarchical society. The interpreters are very far from being poorly informed; they have spent years studying both their crafts and their characters, and many have advanced degrees in their subjects.

All this without even mentioning the wonderful museums, full of priceless treasures and artifacts; the cutting-edge scholarship and archeology; period musical and dramatic performances; and the lovely gardens and grounds.

I agree that visits to Jamestown and Yorktown are essential to an informed view of history--they are two legs of the Historic Triangle. They are authentic in the sense that they have not been rebuilt and "repopulated." Colonial Williamsburg has, according to the best and most rigorous scholarship, and is both deeply educational and truly pleasurable. It's costly to visit because it's costly to run. But to call it a crass cash machine is most unfair. And I say this as a proud (and a little envious) Marylander.

Reading other posts, I can't help but respond again. Traveling to Williamsburg or Jamestown area is time consuming, especially if traffic is an issue with the tunnel. Williamsburg is certainly worth visiting. You don't have to buy a ticket to walk through the streets of colonial Williamsburg. There is also a great retail area with outdoor tables to have a meal and glass of wine or beer. The college of William and Mary is there, plenty of students milling about and the architecture worth viewing. But there is plenty to do within walking distance of the port too. This year the Waterside District will open, a large dining and entertainment venue similar to the inner harbor in Baltimore.

Enjoy!

It's hard to type while trying to pick my jaw up off the floor, but wow! Where to begin!

First off, your admission fee covers bus transportation but also admission to the historic buildings and museums. Of course you can park where you like and stroll the beautiful historic area for free--we have done that often--but to get the most from a visit, we buy the tickets and engage with the interpreters. Visitors to the gunsmith can learn about 18th-century weapon-making; a trip to the bakery or printery will give you insights into the way Colonial artisans plied their trade. Stop at the House of Burgesses to see how the Colony of Virginia was ruled, and to learn that at various times Virginia, theoretically, extended west to the Pacific Ocean, north to the Great Lakes, and south to Georgia. It was big. A visit to the Governor's Palace will show you how the powerful expressed their political and military power, while a visit to the quarters of enslaved people will reveal the hard foundations of a hierarchical society. The interpreters are very far from being poorly informed; they have spent years studying both their crafts and their characters, and many have advanced degrees in their subjects.

All this without even mentioning the wonderful museums, full of priceless treasures and artifacts; the cutting-edge scholarship and archeology; period musical and dramatic performances; and the lovely gardens and grounds.

I agree that visits to Jamestown and Yorktown are essential to an informed view of history--they are two legs of the Historic Triangle. They are authentic in the sense that they have not been rebuilt and "repopulated." Colonial Williamsburg has, according to the best and most rigorous scholarship, and is both deeply educational and truly pleasurable. It's costly to visit because it's costly to run. But to call it a crass cash machine is most unfair. And I say this as a proud (and a little envious) Marylander.

Dan does have an opinion -- as shared by me also as a former resident in the 70's it has gotten so commercialized and expensive.

If you want to get away from Norfolk and travel up the peninsula --- (all below are close in same area and you can make a circular route)

Jamestown

Yorktown Victory Center

Mariner Museum

The Air & Space Center at Langley (where spaceflight began before Houston) -- am an ex-NASA/USAF contractor :)

Fort Monroe

If you are into the Civil War Era -- the End View Plantation is interesting.

My opinion comes from actually going there... and at the time there were only 3 buildings open. I talked to the en actors and many were clueless.

However the gift shops restaurants and all were ALL open and with crowds. Tons of hokey things to buy and eat...at every turn.

After less than an hour we had had enough......it was rather sad experience that we hoped sincerely would be up to the hype......it was not

Having been a Professional interpreter for the NPS the experience was wanting... We felt ripped off and gave our tickets to a young couple...I could not bear to see them get charged an obscene fee.

Now, you can discard my opinion or not.... However, I would strongly encourage any potential visitor to first park and stroll through the little town and make up their own minds before laying down a lot of money for .

Yoy make the judgment is it is worth it....after a personal preview.

YorkTown is a national park with 3 times the exhibits and programs James Town too If you want to experience real colonial life and history, un fettered by any commercial trappings then hit these parks.... they are night and day different....in a good way from Williamsberg ....in my opinion