Where do you keep your passport at home?

If all these years later, they can remember, what clothes they wore, what luggage th they used and what papers they dragged home with them,,,,,,,,,,,,, they likely would able able to remember wrere they put the pp. :D

Good point! I can't remember what I wore home from my last cruise, and that was a month ago. :eek:

(but I do know where my passport is)

If the last use was in "90, definitely just sign the form that you no longer have it and apply for a new one. It would be expired too long to renew anyway.

And likely written in King James English ;)

That's the worst thing about thinking I've lost it: those poor monks went to so much trouble with all the illuminations and fancy calligraphy. :D

Timeline:

1985 - Passport first issued

1990 - Passport last used for international travel

1995 - Passport expires

2000 - 15-year limit on simpler renewal process expires

2005 through 2016 - three moves, one bedbug scare, and one failed roof installation cause major disruptions to my life and belongings

2017 - discovery that passport is not where I thought it was

You are right, I should just go ahead and apply for a new/reissued passport. The big thing advantage to having the old passport would have been that then I wouldn't need a certified copy of my birth certificate. I don't have one; and even if I did, it probably would have been kept in the same unknown location as my existing passport.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your help and good wishes.

Sorry you are so stressed and i hope you find it soon.

I had to laugh though...... You w ant us to tell yo the ww.w.w where we hide cash and/or jewelry , too?

We keep our passports (along with everything else) in the wall safe behind the print of Van Gogh's "Starry Night" which hangs above the love seat in our living room. Because I have trouble recalling numbers, I picked an easy-to-remember combination: 28 right (our house number), 14 left (we were married on the 14th of July), followed by 7 (for July) right.

You are right, I should just go ahead and apply for a new/reissued passport. The big thing advantage to having the old passport would have been that then I wouldn't need a certified copy of my birth certificate.

Glad you are all sorted.

I keep our passports in my wife's lingerie drawer and check them regularly.

That's the worst thing about thinking I've lost it: those poor monks went to so much trouble with all the illuminations and fancy calligraphy. :D

Timeline:

1985 - Passport first issued

1990 - Passport last used for international travel

1995 - Passport expires

2000 - 15-year limit on simpler renewal process expires

2005 through 2016 - three moves, one bedbug scare, and one failed roof installation cause major disruptions to my life and belongings

2017 - discovery that passport is not where I thought it was

You are right, I should just go ahead and apply for a new/reissued passport. The big thing advantage to having the old passport would have been that then I wouldn't need a certified copy of my birth certificate. I don't have one; and even if I did, it probably would have been kept in the same unknown location as my existing passport.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your help and good wishes.

I was going to suggest it might be under a loose floor board, but since you mentioned that you live in an apartment, I guess that's out, but how about in a bookcase? I hope you find your papers before we all go nuts trying to help you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Not sure that the old passport would help with the birth certificate issue. The Passport agency now requires a 'long form' birth certificate. Some states used to issue official short form certificates.

Several report here on CC that applicants with the older short forms were required to resubmit with a long form for a passport to be issued.

Also seems likely that only long forms are now being issued.

Ain't it fun! LOL :D

Not sure that the old passport would help with the birth certificate issue. The Passport agency now requires a 'long form' birth certificate. Some states used to issue official short form certificates.

Several report here on CC that applicants with the older short forms were required to resubmit with a long form for a passport to be issued.

Also seems likely that only long forms are now being issued.

Ain't it fun! LOL :D

Not only that but the feds are requiring the states to move to a STAR compliant drivers licenses which require multiple documents proving your ID, address, etc. This has been delayed several times but it will happen. At some point, a non-compliant drivers license won't get you on an airplane. BTW, you have to have a birth certificate or similar document like a passport to get the STAR compliant dl.

Not only that but the feds are requiring the states to move to a STAR compliant drivers licenses which require multiple documents proving your ID, address, etc. This has been delayed several times but it will happen. At some point, a non-compliant drivers license won't get you on an airplane. BTW, you have to have a birth certificate or similar document like a passport to get the STAR compliant dl.

To be exact, Real ID compliant, not STAR compliant. The Star on a drivers license indicates a DL is Real ID compliant.

But not having the Star does not mean a DL is not compliant. The Star was a recent add on to identify the licenses. My new renewed DL has the Star. My old one was Real ID compliant but didn't have the Star because the old one was issued before they came up with using the Star to identify the compliant licenses. Currently they go by the list of compliant states, not the Star.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

To be exact, Real ID compliant, not STAR compliant. The Star on a drivers license indicates a DL is Real ID compliant.

But not having the Star does not mean a DL is not compliant. The Star was a recent add on to identify the licenses. My new renewed DL has the Star. My old one was Real ID compliant but didn't have the Star because the old one was issued before they came up with using the Star to identify the compliant licenses. Currently they go by the list of compliant states, not the Star.

Depends upon your state. Alabama calls is STAR compliant. Regardless, you might as well dig out your birth certificate, you'll need it to get a STAR/REAL ID compliant d/l.

Depends upon your state. Alabama calls is STAR compliant. Regardless, you might as well dig out your birth certificate, you'll need it to get a STAR/REAL ID compliant d/l.

What matters is what the Feds call it. It is the Real ID Act of 2005.

Regardless, I already have a Real ID compliant DL with a Star since my state, Maryland did not drag their feet on becoming compliant with the Real ID act.

Washington state (where I live) calls it an EDL, or Enhanced Drivers License. I'm ordering two copies of my birth certificate so I can get the EDL going at the same time as my passport, since the EDL is good for land and sea re-entry to the US. (You still need a passport for re-entry by air, which mystifies me a bit.)

Some states (Alabama) are issuing D/L which are compliant and some that are not. How does that work on a list?

For example, you can renew your existing license in Alabama online but it will not be STAR compliant. You can go to many locations (tag agencies, etc) to renew also but only the state troopers office can issue STAR compliant ID.

Washington state (where I live) calls it an EDL, or Enhanced Drivers License. I'm ordering two copies of my birth certificate so I can get the EDL going at the same time as my passport, since the EDL is good for land and sea re-entry to the US. (You still need a passport for re-entry by air, which mystifies me a bit.)

EDL is beyond Real ID compliant. It is an option in some states on the border for an extra fee. It is useful for border residents who frequently cross the border. With that license they don't need a Passport.

I ordered 10 back in the 90's. I'm down to four.

Some states (Alabama) are issuing D/L which are compliant and some that are not. How does that work on a list?

For example, you can renew your existing license in Alabama online but it will not be STAR compliant. You can go to many locations (tag agencies, etc) to renew also but only the state troopers office can issue STAR compliant ID.

There is a list of states that are compliant and those that are not but the list at this time does not have any effect since all US drivers licenses can be used as ID to travel by air. They have changed the deadlines several times. There are different stages. The final deadline as of now is 2020. After it does go into effect it is possible that some residents of compliant states would not have taken in a birth certificate or passport so they came up with the Star so states could keep issuing drivers licenses and IDs.

The same in Maryland. In Maryland we can renew by mail every other renewal. But those who renew by mail won't get the Star because they have to take a new picture for the new secure licenses. If they decide later they want the Star then they can go to the office, pay $20 and get it reissued with the Star. My niece doesn't want to go to the office because she can renew by mail. I have been trying to convince her to go because if Real ID does go in effect in 2020, she likely will end up paying that extra $20. Eventually all will have the DL with the Star since every one has to do to an office renewal the next renewal after online. We don't have to take a birth certificate or passport for a renewal in Maryland because they already required us do that ten or so years ago. In the states that are 100 per cent compliant, they did that. They already checked birth certificate or passport, etc. There are I believe four or five states that have not done any compliance. Others have done some of it. So their residents will have to take in a birth certificate or passports.

It is going to cause a lot of confusion in different states as the deadlines get closer, if they are not extended.