Where do you keep your passport at home?

Speaking about RFID, (which this PP wouldn't be), how would THAT stand up to being frozen?

Most of our current passports' useful lifetime has been in Minnesota. No problem at temps far lower than our freezer.

Our PPs reside in one of two places - a special pocket in a briefcase in a closet when not traveling and a special pocket in a small backpack/laptop case when we do travel. Once upon a time though we had a place for "special" papers in a kitchen cupboard and the passports went there.

I'm with the crowd that suggests checking all luggage used on last passport trip as well as clothing like jackets or coats worn coming through customs. Or checking any paperwork or souvenir items from the trip.

Several years ago we were preparing for a cruise. My wife has a pouch that ties and she carries around her neck for passports. She had it laid out on the bed morning we were leaving. We are about sixty miles from home when it comes to her she does not have the pouch. We turn around drive back home it is on the bed. After looking all over the house we spot a string behind the couch. Our cat had gotten ahold of the string and drug it from bedroom to living room..

A little paranoid, are you??? :D I'm not telling anyone where in the attic I keep my passport, either.

Oops, did I say attic? No no no, not in the attic. Meant to say closet.

No, not closet. Oh, rats, now I have to move it again!!!! :eek:

Seriously, I am the queen of misplaced items. (Frequent prayers to St. Anthony!) But one of the few things I've never misplaced is our passports. I think it's because they're so important. They're always in their safe place at home. And when we have to show them at the cruise terminal or airport, they come out of my purse or briefcase and then go right back where they were, never in a jacket pocket or dropped into a tote bag. Wish I could transfer that careful behavior to other things...

OP, I hope you find it. The last time you used it, was it used at your final destination, or did you do some traveling after that? Could it be in a suitcase? Could you have had it out on your desk when you were making your booking and maybe it fell behind the desk?

Thanks. :)

Yes, please. And if you wouldn't mind mentioning your home address, nearest cross-street, precise latitude and longitude, and your home security systems codes; that'd be great. :)

Let me rephrase (after all, as long it's not the location of your passport that I'm concerned about). What types of places do people in general tend to keep important documents such as passports?

Do you h sbr dome dsort of traverl vfolders, files? If so, good idea to look gthere.

Several years ago we were preparing for a cruise. My wife has a pouch that ties and she carries around her neck for passports. She had it laid out on the bed morning we were leaving. We are about sixty miles from home when it comes to her she does not have the pouch. We turn around drive back home it is on the bed. After looking all over the house we spot a string behind the couch. Our cat had gotten ahold of the string and drug it from bedroom to living room..

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but it is a great story!

We have a pre-departure ritual. Before we pull out of the driveway, whether one of us is driving or someone is driving us, I take out passports and tickets for one last check. The car service we usually take always asks about passport, ticket, wallet before we leave.

You win an already-opened electricity bill envelope, sans bill (& sans electricity), with illegible notes on the back listing the items needed for US passport renewal. :D

Thanks so much to everyone for all your responses, and reassurances.

I should have been more clear earlier: the last time I used my passport was in 1990. (That was air travel: this will be my first cruise.) I'm pretty sure I've seen my passport since I moved into this apartment 9 years ago, but not entirely sure I've seen it since all the furniture had to be moved around after the big roof leak three years ago...

You can only renew a passport within 15 years of the expiration date. So you won't need the old one. You can't renew it. You must make a new application.

As for where I keep mine at home: I have a safe box, but it is a decoy for thieves. My passport, BC, marriage license, divorce decree, foreign currency, pink slip for my car, etc., are all inside one of my boxes from one of my multiple pair of winter boots...

Which won't protect them from fire....

I'm booked on the Oosterdam for an Alaska cruise departing three months from tomorrow (hurray!). My passport is expired, so I figured I'd go ahead and get the renewal process underway well ahead of time. Went to pull it out of my lockbox/firesafe, and...

Nope. Not there.

I am almost entirely certain that it hasn't been stolen, because I haven't had a break-in since the last time I used it. I'm confident that I've just misremembered where I put it, and it is some obvious and logical place that will become self-evident to me the moment I find the thing.

But I'm panicked enough (oh no oh no oh no I can't find it!!! :eek:) that I'm doing a really lousy job of thinking where any obvious and logical places might be. I know it's not in my safe deposit box because I don't have a safe deposit box. I'm pretty sure it's not in the freezer because who would put their passport in the freezer??? and anyway, I just cleaned out the freezer last week.

Those are the only two places I've been able to think of so far, which means that I'd really, really, really appreciate it if some of you could tell me where you might keep your passports when you're at home. :)

#1 - inside my mattress ;)

#2 - on the bottom/underneath the dog bed of my extremely well-trained German Shepard K-9

#3 - All kidding aside, try this OP - https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/expedited.html

You win an already-opened electricity bill envelope, sans bill (& sans electricity), with illegible notes on the back listing the items needed for US passport renewal. :D

Thanks so much to everyone for all your responses, and reassurances.

I should have been more clear earlier: the last time I used my passport was in 1990. (That was air travel: this will be my first cruise.) I'm pretty sure I've seen my passport since I moved into this apartment 9 years ago, but not entirely sure I've seen it since all the furniture had to be moved around after the big roof leak three years ago...

Your passport needs to be renewed and with the time lapsed, it is most likely a new application.

If your cruise requires a passport, stop looking and please get an application and get it taken care of.

To the best of my knowledge most passports have a maximum life of 10 years.

Your passport needs to be renewed and with the time lapsed, it is most likely a new application.

If your cruise requires a passport, stop looking and please get an application and get it taken care of.

To the best of my knowledge most passports have a maximum life of 10 years.

They are good for 10 years but they can be renewed if within 15 years of issuance. So if OP didn't renew it since 1990 the math indicates they need to make a new application, not a renewal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In a safe place where I'll be sure to remember it... with all the other things I've put in a safe place where I'll be sure to remember them. Seriously, the first thing I do when I get home is put the passports in their normal place, and leaving for a cruise is probably as close as I come to OCD.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I should have been more clear earlier: the last time I used my passport was in 1990. (That was air travel: this will be my first cruise.) ?.....

If the last time you used your passport was 1990 it is so far past the expiration date that you cannot renew it but must apply for a new one. So, forget about finding it and just apply for a new one, explaining your passport is lost.

Edited by NMLady

Most of our current passports' useful lifetime has been in Minnesota. No problem at temps far lower than our freezer.

Our PPs reside in one of two places - a special pocket in a briefcase in a closet when not traveling and a special pocket in a small backpack/laptop case when we do travel. Once upon a time though we had a place for "special" papers in a kitchen cupboard and the passports went there.

I'm with the crowd that suggests checking all luggage used on last passport trip as well as clothing like jackets or coats worn coming through customs. Or checking any paperwork or souvenir items from the trip.

If all these years later, they can remember, what clothes they wore, what luggage th they used and what papers they dragged home with them,,,,,,,,,,,,, they likely would able able to remember wrere they put the pp. :D