Luggage

day440

With todays airline weight restrictions, lightweight luggage is a must. We have had great luck with some very lightweight soft sided luggage from Travelpro. Their lightweight lines come in all sizes and colors. Consider that the weight of 2 smaller pieces of luggage will usually exceed the weight of a single larger piece. We tend to use luggage around 26 inch. The Travelpro Max-Lite's 26 inch only weights 7 lbs 9 ounces.....and we have two that have withstood both airlines and cruise lines handling....for many trips.

Hank

We have a 26" and a good-sized folding garment bag that we check. We bring a 24" and a small duffel as carry-on bags. Any items considered 'heavy' like dress shoes go in the carry-on bags to ensure our checked luggage is under 50lbs.

We've never needed anything more

We will be on a 6 day cruise. We will drive down stay in Ft. Lauderdale the night before the cruise. I'm not bringing many clothes. I'll mix and match and can always use the laundry if needed. We are in an inside cabin (4 people) and we are in need of new luggage. I was trying to figure out what luggage and sizes gives you more space but isn't bulky itself. I understand there is room to store luggage under the beds but I'm not sure how many pieces and sizes will fit. The other three travelers are guys and will not require much in the way of luggage. They travel very light.

We bring a 24" and a small duffel as carry-on bags.

A 24" bag is an awfully large carry on and won't fit the correct way in the overhead bin, you'd have to turn it sideways, taking up two bin spaces. Surprised you've been successful with that.

For a week long trip I'd probably take my 26" soft sided bag, but there would be room to spare, and I carry on my everyday backpack.. I really need a 24" or so for cases like that where my 21" is too small and my 26" is too big. (I also have a 30" rolling duffel, that I use for trips that are 2 weeks or more.)

Thinking about it, I might be able to do a week of lounging and napping with just a 21" carry on, but it really maxes out at about 3 days' of clothes.

If you're concerned with storage in the cabin, you could consider having one or two people pack in duffles which can be "smushed" down and folded to store in the rolling luggage under the bed.

I also second TravelPro for carry-on size. They can't be beat.

We will be on a 6 day cruise. We will drive down stay in Ft. Lauderdale the night before the cruise. I'm not bringing many clothes. I'll mix and match and can always use the laundry if needed. We are in an inside cabin (4 people) and we are in need of new luggage. I was trying to figure out what luggage and sizes gives you more space but isn't bulky itself. I understand there is room to store luggage under the beds but I'm not sure how many pieces and sizes will fit. The other three travelers are guys and will not require much in the way of luggage. They travel very light.

Just a FYI,, Macys is having a 50% - 65% sale on luggage. plus some brands have a added 15%, and some have an added $50 mail in rebate. Were going today to look at the Samsonite sphere 2 marked down from $520 to $149.00 with all rebates. happy cruising. Four people in a inside is a challenge.

What type of luggage do you take on your cruises? I'm trying to find lightweight luggage that will hold what I need to take with me. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum.

For checked luggage we use a lightweight 26" spinner, purchased at ebags.com

For a carry-on we use an 18" backpack.

I third the Travelpro. I just bought the 22" from Costco. It was supposedly designed by pilots. Anyway, I just packed it tonight using packing cubes for a two week cruise. No spinners cause I am spending a week before at the port city and will be taking trains and buses.