Veranda 1A cabins

Living4acruise2day

We have been on the angle on 9 & 8 before, and are on the angle on 7 next cruise. No disadvantage that we have experienced. Matter of a fact, the location is a big advantage IMHO. Get off the lift, and at the cabin door in a 'nano second':D

FYI: all S-class ships, since the OP is on the Equinox.

I have read a lot of "good" things about being on the hump, but are there any disadvantages? Was thinking of changing my cabin.

I haven't noticed any disadvantages. The balcony is bigger and they are well-located for the elevators.

We leave in a week on the Eclipse and have booked a 1A again.

Ahhhh. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the tip!

However, also consider the flip side of this: on the aft facing humps, you cannot see ahead of you at all. I have done the aft facing, loved it, but did not like the limited front facing view while in port.

I've switched to a forward facing one for next time. I'm thinking that even with extra wind possibility, it is deep enough to pull the chair out of the direct wind, and still enjoy the view.

Just to add to your consideration...

You need to check out the cabins for bed position if that is important to you. Also, many of the hump cabins are connected to adjacent cabins with a door. Some people don't like that because they say those cabins are noisier. I have not been in one of those...

"Connecting staterooms" are shown on the deck plans.

Edited by cluso
More info

We have stayed in one before. You get a larger balcony- from a little to a lot - but the cabin is the same size. See the sticky post for cabin specific info. We were in the middle of the hump facing forward. We felt that the larger balcony provided more shade, which might be a plus or minus for you. To us it was dark when sitting outside on a sea night and we also thought we had more wind when at sea. When in port it was difficult to see what was behind as the cabin next to you sticks out unless you are the last angled cabin and can look around the corner.

I know people who love the 1A for the center of the ship location and the big balcony, and they do sell out quickly. However I don't see the advantage over a 1B which is on the hump with views forward and back and which is a free upgrade from a 1C

We've been in both C2 Concierge and 1A Veranda class cabins on the hump. Our favorite so far was 9292, the first 1A on the back side of the hump, deck 9. Because it's the first angled veranda, you can see forward standing at the rail, but it's also very sheltered from the wind. The only thing we missed in the 1A (versus Concierge) was the footstools on the veranda; in a 1A you just get the chairs, not the footstools. But the fare difference (paying the Captain's Club 1B rate) more than made up for it. We've gone 1A whenever we can grab one.

We've had no noise issues with connecting cabins or with a housekeeping closet outside (there's one outside of 9292 and 9294 on Equinox.) If it's really quiet, you might hear a faint "ding" from the elevators. That's about it; can't say we've ever been bothered by noise in any "hump" cabin.

We did have a hump cabin on deck 6 or 7 Port side once (Eclipse), and in calm wind (like in port) we noticed some smoke from the deck 5 port side smoking area. Since then we've gone for starboard side cabins. That might be a consideration if you plan to spend a lot of time on the veranda in port.

When looking at hump verandas, I believe it's the first and third with the largest balconies. The 2nd and 4th on the angle are also larger, but not as large as 1st and 3rd. There's a thread on this Board somewhere, from a long time ago, where that's discussed in detail.

As has been said, these go fast - we're totally spoiled forever! We love the oversized verandas because we typically spend a lot of time there. Get one and you'll be ruined forever as well (we had a postage stamp-sized veranda on Royal Princess and cried bitter tears for 10 days.) ;)

We have stayed in one before. You get a larger balcony- from a little to a lot - but the cabin is the same size. See the sticky post for cabin specific info. We were in the middle of the hump facing forward. We felt that the larger balcony provided more shade, which might be a plus or minus for you. To us it was dark when sitting outside on a sea night and we also thought we had more wind when at sea. When in port it was difficult to see what was behind as the cabin next to you sticks out unless you are the last angled cabin and can look around the corner.

I know people who love the 1A for the center of the ship location and the big balcony, and they do sell out quickly. However I don't see the advantage over a 1B which is on the hump with views forward and back and which is a free upgrade from a 1C

This is wonderful info. Thank you. Yes, shade IS important. :)

Also, many of the hump cabins are connected to adjacent cabins with a door. Some people don't like that because they say those cabins are noisier. I have not been in one of those...

"Connecting staterooms" are shown on the deck plans.

The connection is outside the room, not inside. If connecting the cabin door is opened and secured. Entry is then by other doors directly from the corridor, therefore enlarging the rooms slightly.

We love the angled cabins on the front part of the hump in the middle of the ship. Awesome location close to the elevators and very quiet. Love the larger balcony and the wind has never been noticed by us. We had 9211 on the Reflection and have booked 8228 on the Equinox.

We are on the same cruise as you in October and are really looking forward to it. It will be our first cruise to the Caribbean and I can hardly wait.