Upgrading on Holland?

SeaNStars4Me

I am booked on a Holland cruise and about 30 days from departure. I have a "guaranteed" balcony cabin with an obstructed view. Cabin has not been assigned yet. Thinking of trying to upgrade but not sure how the process works. Do I call the cruise line and just ask what upgrades cost? When is the best time to start calling them...now or closer to the sail date? Do I just keep checking back to see what they're offering? What kind of deal is reasonable to expect $$$-wise? Any advice appreciated?

When we consider an "upsell" to a different cabin category, (not an upgrade in the same cabin class) we set a per day value first, and then consider the offer. Typically we stop at $35 a day per person for a Neptune suite upsell.

Since all HAL cabins are pretty good with similar layouts, and we ourselves have not noticed that much difference with any location on the ship itself (forward, aft, middle). Also consider how much you will be actually using the cabin or verandah on any particular cruise to see if the per day cost will be worth maybe not doing something else, if the vacation budget has its reasonable limits?

I personally would not bother with the similar class upgrade since they only have a few obstructed balcony "loss leader" cabins in the first place. So chances are you won't get it after all since this "loss leader" price probably got sold to a lot of people.

However, always with the caveat you can always get what you originally pay for. But there are plenty of other very enjoyable public spaces on the ship to enjoy, both in and outside so we have never found a "good" or "bad" cabin will make or break any cruise.

(Noisy cabins under the galley or stage are another topic naturally)

What level is your guarantee booking at? How did you book? With a travel agent? On line? Direct with HAL?

Know that if you call, you will likely get rack rate, not some special deal. If they call you, then a deal is usually in the works.

While you are correct for most of the times (getting rack rate) we have had situations where our PCC (or TA) has gotten us an upsell before they go out to the public (just did this last Dec.). You do have to know upfront how much you are willing to pay however, as you need to decide on the spot if you want it. I also think it helps if your TA or PCC has a good relationship with HAL in this situation.

How did you book is the key question.

Like Dave we have had upsell offers before they come out.

If you are using a TA make sure they know you are interested in an upsell.

If you just booked with HAL, timing is tough. If your cruise is not sold out, I would call about three weeks out and let them know that you are interested in an upsell.

You should receive offers by email but need to act fast, so as previously stated, know what you are willing to pay ;). And be prepared to make a decision. Not all upsells are great offers and some come around again at reduced prices (and some don't). Depends upon what others are willing to pay ;)

Terms of art. I needed to get educated myself when this general topic comes up -- did I get this right?

Upsell = move to a higher category of cabin - a verandah to a Neptune

Upgrade = move to a more premium location or amenities within the same cabin grade - B to A. HH to B

Terms of art. I needed to get educated myself when this general topic comes up -- did I get this right?

Upgrade = move to a more premium location or amenities within the same cabin grade - B to A. HH to B

My understanding is that an "upsell", what HAL refers to as a paid upgrade, is a move to a higher category at a cost to the passenger. An "upgrade" is free of charge. The amenities have no bearing. Well, it's not that the amenities have no bearing; they probably do for the passenger. But they don't for the upsell/upgrade. One could possibly get an free upgrade from a verandah to a Neptune, for example.

Upsell is when you pay to get moved up to a better cabin. Normally it is at least to the next higher level cabin (could be two or more levels though), but in some cases it could be with the same category.

Another thing to consider is what you already have and if you will lose any that are important to you. That is do you lose drink package, prepaid tips or on board credits. Be sure to factor that in when doing the math. Also the chance of good weather for balcony or to cold, dark or windy to enjoy it much. Then like others have said be ready if or when it comes. sightcrr

Another thing to consider is what you already have and if you will lose any that are important to you. That is do you lose drink package, prepaid tips or on board credits. Be sure to factor that in when doing the math. Also the chance of good weather for balcony or to cold, dark or windy to enjoy it much. Then like others have said be ready if or when it comes. sightcrr

Excellent point :). I have never lost anything in an upsell, but it is a good idea to ask. Smart! Thanks for adding this thoughtful insight.

We were on Koningsdam two weeks ago. We use our HAL PCC for everything regarding our booking (and she is WONDERFUL).

We booked into a balcony guarantee. We knew all along that we were hoping for an upgrade/upsell (just semantics to me, so I use these terms interchangeably), but were completely satisfied if we would remain in a balcony.

Two weeks out we still did not have a room assignment and were told by our PCC that they were still working on moving people up, etc. She did, however, offer us an upgrade to a Vista Suite for $499pp. This was not something that we considered (because there are no real perks to the Vista Suite).

One week prior to sailing, we received an upgrade offer for $799/pp to a Neptune or $499/pp to a Vista. That was more than we wanted to pay, so we made an offer of $499/pp for a Neptune. That offer was rejected by HAL.

We were set to sail on Sunday and still had no assignment. On Thursday, we received a call from our PCC to ask if we were interested in a Vista for $199/pp. We told her that we were still not interested in a Vista. She asked if we were still interested in a Neptune for $499/pp. We told her yes, but if she could get it for less that would be even better. She came back with an offer of $399/pp for a Neptune and asked us which we wanted. She had a list of a few SAs, but also SQ10006 (Spa Neptune Suite-only 2 of these onboard), which is what we wanted the entire time.

Moral of the story...if it is available, persistence can get you what want for what you're willing to pay. We went from a balcony guarantee to one step down from the Pinnacle Suite for $399/pp.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums