Equinox connecting cabin

gabbygrrl

Hi All,

We have booked 9296 on the Equinox. I'm excited about the balcony size but not thrilled that it's a connecting cabin.

Can you tell me-does it connect like a hotel room, with a shared door midway in the cabin? Or is it the type that "connects" outside in the hallway? There was only 1 post in the S class cabin list and it did not mention the type of connection.

We have had bad luck with connecting hotel rooms and noise. I'm wondering if this will be the same.

Thank you for your help.

I can't answer specifically for Equinox, but we had a connecting room on Summit in 2014 and the noise control was so good that we could hardly even hear when our travelling companions knocked on the door for us! It was an internal connecting door on Summit

I don't know about the suites, but the connecting staterooms aboard Equinox should be the kind that connect on the outside hallway. That is what we found on our 3 Eclipse cruises.

• Like 1

Check out this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1923969

We were on Equinox last summer (and loved it so much we are returning in may) and had connecting cabins with our teenagers. Since there is NO door between the cabins (as there is in the typical connecting rooms in a hotel) there was no issue with noise. To use the rooms as connected rooms, their main doors get locked-open, and the outer hall doors are released. Then you can move between the two cabins without going in to the hall. However, we did not use this feature as you could not also close the interior doors (ie at night time for privacy from the kids) . We chose to leave the doors as usual and have the cabin attendant unlock the divider between our balconies allowing us access to each cabin by the balcony doors.

• Like 1

We have had connecting cabins on our last three Equinox cruises. They connect via a small type of foyer. Each cabin has a separate door and no interior connecting door. There wasn't any noise difference between a connecting and non connecting staterooms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

We had connecting cabins on the Reflection 7326 and 7328. There were two interior doors (inside the cabins) to connect the cabins, just across from the bathroom door. We never heard any noise or talking through the door. My brother and SIL were next door and we only really ever opened the doors when we were ready to head out for dinner. We did have the balcony divider opened by the steward.

IMG_1345

IMG_1503

IMG_1502

Save

Edited by cruiztime
spelling

Ok, so I can see it is a different set up on the Equinox! If the outer doors are closed, don't the inner doors get in the way when they are opened? I am having a hard time picturing it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They do not ... the cabin doors open into the cabin and the foyer doors swing close in the opposite direction. However, if you aren't linked with the cabin next door to you, those outer doors will remain locked in an open position for your entire cruise.

We were in one of these connecting rooms on the Equinox once and heard no noise from the room next door. Also, the cabins are no smaller than non-connecting rooms. The only thing I would warn of is I kept hitting my arm on the connecting door handle to the point that my one forearm was covered in bruises by the end of the cruise. Call me clumsy but it just sticks out further than I thought ... many times!!

Other than that ... for us, we wouldn't hesitate to book a connecting room on an S-class ship ever again. They really thought this out and came up with a winning design.

If the outer doors are being used, then the inner doors can NOT be used. They are held open against the inner cabin wall by a powerful magnet. Only one set or the other can be used. You would need to ask the cabin attendant to unlock (turn off the electrical magnet) the outer doors, and the inner doors would get locked open (by turning on the electrical magnet) if you choose to do this. It can not be done by the cruiser themself.

Thanks for the photos everyone! O.k., one question:

1) If you are linked with the connecting party, say, if we had our kids with us... and my wife and I wanted some "Privacy" ;) while the kids were sleeping in the other room, is there any way to close a door between cabins? It doesn't appear so.

Dan

Hi Dan - we asked that exact question when we were on Equinox last summer. Indeed, there is no way to close those inner doors if you are using the outer-connecting doors. So, no privacy. However, we handled it this way: leave the outer doors open as usual. Have your cabin attendant unlock the balcony divider (half of it folds back). Have you, and your connecting cabin leave your balcony doors unlocked. This way, you can travel back and forth to each cabin via the balcony. This of course would only work if your children are not young, and you feel safe having them in a cabin with an unlocked balcony door. This worked really well for us (with teenagers). Just be careful if you open the balcony door when the front door is open, as the wind tunnel effect is very strong!

Hi Dan - we asked that exact question when we were on Equinox last summer. Indeed, there is no way to close those inner doors if you are using the outer-connecting doors. So, no privacy. However, we handled it this way: leave the outer doors open as usual. Have your cabin attendant unlock the balcony divider (half of it folds back). Have you, and your connecting cabin leave your balcony doors unlocked. This way, you can travel back and forth to each cabin via the balcony. This of course would only work if your children are not young, and you feel safe having them in a cabin with an unlocked balcony door. This worked really well for us (with teenagers). Just be careful if you open the balcony door when the front door is open, as the wind tunnel effect is very strong!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Seems like a reasonable solution. Our youngest will be at least 11 by the time we try a Celebrity cruise on an S-Class with them, so that would be fine.

Dan