Has anybody had bed bugs on a carnival cruise before?

Carleeb12

I'm sure if a cruise ship gets bed bugs it comes from a previous passenger that they brought from their home in clothes. Cruise ships do all they can do to keep them off the ship and gone constantly. Reports of bed bugs on a ship cause bookings go way down and crews pay suffers with low passenger count gratuities. I'm sure they are on top of it all the time.

Gosh no. The bed is cleaned every day.

Actually not true. They do not change the sheets every day - maybe once mid cruise. Watch the stewards - generally they just are making the beds. I also know this because at times make our own bed - and they don't touch it - I can tell because the sheets aren't as tight as the day before. If we leave it ruffled, it gets a nice tight tuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...

I have once on the Miracle room 5299. Told staff and still waiting for Carnival to respond. My family had to go to doctor upon getting home. Took pictures and sent them to Carnival let's see if they blow me off. Will update after they receive my letter. If no action the will send to the BBB

I have once on the Miracle room 5299. Told staff and still waiting for Carnival to respond. My family had to go to doctor upon getting home. Took pictures and sent them to Carnival let's see if they blow me off. Will update after they receive my letter. If no action the will send to the BBB

BBB = better bed bugs?

Gosh no. The bed is cleaned every day.

Actually bedding is only changed once in a 5 day and under and twice in a 6-8 day. Unless you request it for a special reason. And bedbugs are annoying but harmless and happen EVERYWHERE. The worst they do is cause itchy bites like a mosquito with out the diseases they spread. It can be perfectly clean or dirty. They travel on peoples belongings.

Glad to know that I am not the only one with an inspection routine! My brother in law stayed in a VERY nice NYC hotel a few years ago and came home with bedbugs galore in his suitcase. It took my sister in law forever to get rid of them out of her home. Now whenever we check into a hotel I have to take up the corners of each fitted sheet and inspect the mattresses, and we keep everything off the floor and in garbage bags. My sister in law now has a black light and I was considering bringing it on the cruise.

I really hope everyone says no.

I'm worried too, I always check around the hotel, do you think putting luggage inside a clear garbage bag will help? And what's the black light your sister in law is using? I booked four point Sheraton this summer, my sister did some research, she's been worried because other guests reports they have it last year. Thanks

We had bed bugs on our first Carnival cruise 5 years ago. They were found by the room steward. We were immediately moved to a new room, received complimentary laundry, 50 percent of our cruise back and a 50% off future cruise certificate. I credit the bed bugs for us being such big fans of Carnival, if it wasn't for that future cruise certificate we might have not cruised again but now we've gone every year since. We had some bites, we survived. We check very carefully now. We didn't then, if we had of I'm sure we would have seen some evidence because we ended up with a lot of bites. But we had a delayed reaction to the bites so if the room steward hadn't have moved us we would have literally been none the wiser until we got home. I don't blame Carnival. It's a constant battle I assume for any hotel or ship because people bring them onboard with them.

Hi. Just watched your review of the Magic as we are booked on her. Love your family !

If they were bed bugs you brought them home and you will need to have your house treated unfortunately.

For those of you talking about bringing a black light, better check your prohibited items list. Some cruise lines forbid them.

There was a poster on here a number of years ago. She claimed she was something in the medical field (I forget what).

She always traveled on cruises with a black light and checked everything in her room, took pictures of anything that was fluorescent, posted the pictures here on cruise critic and raised a fuss about wanting compensation.

I understand that some of the cruise lines banned her and I believe that Cruise Critic did also.

Actually bedding is only changed once in a 5 day and under and twice in a 6-8 day. Unless you request it for a special reason. And bedbugs are annoying but harmless and happen EVERYWHERE. The worst they do is cause itchy bites like a mosquito with out the diseases they spread. It can be perfectly clean or dirty. They travel on peoples belongings.

Unfortunately, this is untrue. While you are correct that you won't get any of the transmittable diseases that you would with mosquitoes, you WILL end up with an infestation that will likely cost you THOUSANDS to remove. These little buggers will reproduce at alarming rates, will get into your baseboards, will cost you a LOT to remove. Today's pesticides aren't strong enough and it takes multiple treatments to finally rid yourself of them.

Bite me all you will, but do NOT come home with me!

Unfortunately, this is untrue. While you are correct that you won't get any of the transmittable diseases that you would with mosquitoes, you WILL end up with an infestation that will likely cost you THOUSANDS to remove. These little buggers will reproduce at alarming rates, will get into your baseboards, will cost you a LOT to remove. Today's pesticides aren't strong enough and it takes multiple treatments to finally rid yourself of them.

Bite me all you will, but do NOT come home with me!

My daughter & her hubby dealt with bedbugs in an apartment once. Had to trash their mattress and bedding. It took multiple sprayings to get rid of them. They don't know if they came from the apartment next door or in a uniform that her hubby brought home from work (apparently they are stored in a warehouse). I thought probably from the neighbors since a warehouse wouldn't have a food source for bedbugs, but I'm not an entomologist.