Any thoughts on the Summitt?

volk904

We love the Summit! Sailing her again this July for the 4th time in 5 years and are booked for a Caribbean cruise in Jan 2019!

Perfect size ship, and even sailing during the busy summer season it never feels crowded (well, except the pool)

Food is great, crew is wonderful!

I don't think you'd be too disappointed if you decided to try her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Summit last May and she is a wonderful, classy ship, with a terrific crew. At least some of the negative reviews are from folks who prioritize a ship that is brand new with no signs of wear whatsoever. (probably the same sort of folks who trade in their cars every couple of years because they don't like driving something "old.") If you can live with some graceful signs of aging, you will have a fantastic time on Summit. I would chose Summit again in a heartbeat.

We have sailed on the Summit 6 times and loved it each time. Amazing captains both Captain Kate and Captain Alex. CC hostess, Ashley is great as well as all the officers who were very visible and friendly. The biggest sign of wear were the loungers in the Solarium and they have now been replaced. The Summit sails my favorite itinerary with only one sea day.

Sailed Summit a little over a year ago, was on Equinox in July, and just off Silhouette and I wouldn't hesitate to sail on Summit again in a heartbeat. Now if only they'll stop chartering Summit during the winter months - the San Juan based Southern Caribbean itinerary is way better than the sea day rich FL routes.

Biggest downside of M may be the limited (and interior) Persian Garden versus the Solstice class ocean viewing PG. I found the Ocean View Cafe on Silhouette to be a little crowded on Silhouette whereas something I didn't notice on Summit; EQ buffet seemed fine... so maybe this was partly itinerary/pax based?

We actually are leaning M-class versus Solstice class for our next cruise FWIW.

I think Captain Kate will not be back for April. From her instagram posts I think Capt. Alex took over around mid-January (which tracks with our cruise last year where she turned command over to him something like 1/7 or 1/8, 2016). Capt. Alex is awesome, "the voice from above" and you can't go wrong with either of them. :)

I've been to Bermuda the last two July's on the Summit. It's a great ship. We keep taking that one instead of the Breakaway because we like the smaller, more intimate ships. It's well run, clean and it makes us very happy. It also made a pigeon very happy last summer who stayed on the ship for several sailings. :)

I'll go against the masses here. Having sailed on almost all the S class ships, I can't go back to M class, which is a shame b/c I live about 35 minutes from Bayonne. Would not sail on M class again, but obviously I'm in the minority here.

I also much prefer the newer ships. The layout and flow of the ships are better, there's a little more to do (although not much on X ships) and they are just more up to date, but I will still sail the older ships if the itinerary and price is right. If you are the type of person that is going to be bothered by the sight of rust or worn carpet/furniture then it's probably not the ship for you. Not that it's a run down rust bucket, they maintain these ships very well, it's just that there will be areas that show their age.

We love the Summit! It's our favorite M class ship. I do prefer the S class ships, love the bathrooms (really spacious and nice shower with a door rather than a curtain), bigger martini bar with more seating area and a nice sunset bar on the top deck.

Unless Captain Kate extended her leave, she should be back on board late March. A poster stated they were on the plane with her when she left mid December. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she'll be with us for our B2B Mar 27th/Apr 1st.

Unfortunately for us but great for Ashley, she's no longer a Captain's Club Hostess. She was fabulous. She's now in the corporate office.

Our concern was some poor reviews but it does seem like many are trying to compare a 15 year old ship to the newest ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Summit in January, and I am one who just finished up a review on this forum.

I think you should read most of the reviews with an eye toward what is important to you. If I tell you the bar service was poor, and you don't frequent the bars, then that shouldn't matter. The same if we love a certain pool, and you don't like pools, that should not matter either.

Just look for balanced reviews, and if you find enough with good things to say about what you like, then let that help you decide. If I see a completely negative review, I would discount those. I figure if a reviewer can't find something good about a cruise (except Carnival, of course -no flaming), then you should give up cruising.

Good luck, and enjoy your next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DW and I have been on Summit 13 times. The ship is wonderful. The crew is always stellar. Also, I know I am in the minority here, but I prefer the Persian Gardens on the M class ships. More (and different rooms) to choose from. Sahara, Turkish Bath, Aroma therapy room, and the central room with the stone heated bench. There is also an "Etruscan room", that has not been in service on Summit for quite a while, but was available on Infinity in October. It was hot enough to melt your eyebrows if you are so inclined. My wife opened the door and said no way.

Edited by bayonnejoe

We sail for the itinerary more than the ship although we stick with Celebrity and Princess. The summer Summit cruises to Bermuda are wonderful and the autumn Canada/New England cruises are amazing. We've decided that 7 days to Bermuda is the perfect family cruise because it's easy to get all of the family to Bayonne. Is the ship brand new? No. But, we sailed on the Royal Princess her first year and you can't pay me to set foot on that ship again - what a stupid, stupid layout. The Summit may be older but she's been well maintained and the crew is great.

I think Captain Kate will not be back for April. From her instagram posts I think Capt. Alex took over around mid-January (which tracks with our cruise last year where she turned command over to him something like 1/7 or 1/8, 2016). Capt. Alex is awesome, "the voice from above" and you can't go wrong with either of them. :)

Capt. Alex took over and Capt. Kate left on the first day of my sailing in December which was December 10th so she may be back. I believe they have 3 months off but could be mistaken.

Our first ever cruise was on the Summit and we've booked our next cruise for the Summit. Celebrity and the Summit is why we've fallen in love with cruising. She's not too big and even though she's a bit older she's still taken care of.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk