gratuities, this is how they are officially spread out

luckyinpa

I find it interesting that so many of us are concerned about the living wage of cruise line employees. Apparently many of us feel the cruise lines themselves are not too concerned about them.

Perhaps before the Automatic Prepaid System was enacted, many cruisers either did not leave enough or any at all. Due to this failure of some cruisers to tip, the cruise lines are trying to ensure that they receive a gratuity. They have set what they feel is a fair amount.

I also wonder what percentage of hotel guests truly leave a tip for the room attendant?

As a previous hotel room attendant, tips were few and far between especially one one night stay guests. People forget that even after a one night stay, linens need to be changed, bathrooms cleaned, garbage dumped etc etc. Its just as much work for a 1 night stay as for 7

As a previous hotel room attendant, tips were few and far between especially one one night stay guests. People forget that even after a one night stay, linens need to be changed, bathrooms cleaned, garbage dumped etc etc. Its just as much work for a 1 night stay as for 7

I do wish hotels would allow you to add tips for your room attendant to your bill. I always want to leave something, but if the ATM only spits out 20s and I haven’t had the opportunity to break it, I’m not leaving $20 for a one night stay.

I travel for business almost 250 days a year. Tips for room attendants and shuttle drivers is about the only thing I need cash for. The front desk can’t always make change, and I don’t have much reason to make a small cash purchase that would put smaller denominations in my pocket.

So to leave a tip for a one day stay, I have to remember to go to the ATM at the airport and make a small purchase at the newsstand. Doesn’t always happen.

So I tend to over-tip on 3 night stays or more and stiff on shorter stays. I’m hoping that there are enough people like me that it comes out in the wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do wish hotels would allow you to add tips for your room attendant to your bill. I always want to leave something, but if the ATM only spits out 20s and I haven’t had the opportunity to break it, I’m not leaving $20 for a one night stay.

I travel for business almost 250 days a year. Tips for room attendants and shuttle drivers is about the only thing I need cash for. The front desk can’t always make change, and I don’t have much reason to make a small cash purchase that would put smaller denominations in my pocket.

So to leave a tip for a one day stay, I have to remember to go to the ATM at the airport and make a small purchase at the newsstand. Doesn’t always happen.

So I tend to over-tip on 3 night stays or more and stiff on shorter stays. I’m hoping that there are enough people like me that it comes out in the wash.

When we stay in Orlando i usually leave a thank you/gracias note with a couple of dollars for the room maid and we always get a full compliment of towels, toiletries,coffee etc and no early knocking on our door on the last morning.

When we stay in Orlando i usually leave a thank you/gracias note with a couple of dollars for the room maid and we always get a full compliment of towels, toiletries,coffee etc and no early knocking on our door on the last morning.

I leave the note and cash every morning.

So make this clear to me, always done prepaid gratuities with extra cash for cabin attendants and waiters. Each day when I check my account it shows the amount taken out per person. You telling me if we aren't satisfied , we can go to customer service desk towards end of cruise and get gratuities removed and just pay in cash?

So make this clear to me, always done prepaid gratuities with extra cash for cabin attendants and waiters. Each day when I check my account it shows the amount taken out per person. You telling me if we aren't satisfied , we can go to customer service desk towards end of cruise and get gratuities removed and just pay in cash?

You can, but there are three big reasons not to:

1)As specified on RCCL’s website, about a 3rd of the tips are supposed to go to people you don’t see, “other hotel services” we way not know exactly who these people are or how this tip is allocated, but it’s fairly clear to me that they make their living off tips.

2) if the tips are removed and the employee has been given cash directly, they are supposed to return it to the pool. If you give something less than the recommended amounts, he/she may pull money from his own pocket for the pool so it does not reflect badly. If you give more, he may have to fork over the whole thing instead of the recommended amount.

3) It’s just a great big pain in the ass for everybody.

Seems to me that if there are that many "unseen" people paid by these "GRATUITIES", then it is not a gratuity, it is a service fee and should be included in the price. It's all marketing to reel you in and then hit you with more later. Sorry to say, most all do it.

By the time you add taxes, fees and gratuities......sometimes the looks of a cruise change a bit.

Whatever the "official" tips breakdown is, its only Royal C's ideas. I will continue to stop my auto gratuities and pay who I want when I want.

On the Navigator a couple of weeks ago our cabin guy did a poor job, this was reflected in his tips.

I wonder if he did a poor job because he knew you had stopped the autogratuities?

Seems to me that if there are that many "unseen" people paid by these "GRATUITIES", then it is not a gratuity, it is a service fee and should be included in the price. It's all marketing to reel you in and then hit you with more later. Sorry to say, most all do it.

By the time you add taxes, fees and gratuities......sometimes the looks of a cruise change a bit.

It happens with all cruise lines,its best to just enjoy yourself and leave your autotips on because thats what the crew want.

Whatever the "official" tips breakdown is, its only Royal C's ideas. I will continue to stop my auto gratuities and pay who I want when I want.

On the Navigator a couple of weeks ago our cabin guy did a poor job, this was reflected in his tips.

Everyone knows when you remove the auto gratuities. Besides the poor service from your cabin guy, your waiter probably spit in your food. :eek:

I just leave on the auto grats and let the cruise line sort it out.

If you do not eat in the MDR and eat in the specialty dining areas does the gratuities for dining services go to that waiter? We had excellent servers in Chops and Sabor on our cruise last week. We tipped extra because the service was exceptional but I was hoping our auto gratuity was given to them as well since we ate at the specialty restaurants for dinner every night and for lunch every day that we could including our extra sea day when Nate made us skip Cozumel

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you do not eat in the MDR and eat in the specialty dining areas does the gratuities for dining services go to that waiter? We had excellent servers in Chops and Sabor on our cruise last week. We tipped extra because the service was exceptional but I was hoping our auto gratuity was given to them as well since we ate at the specialty restaurants for dinner every night and for lunch every day that we could including our extra sea day when Nate made us skip Cozumel

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A portion of the cover charge for specialty covers gratuity.

As has been pointed out frequently on this thread that may be your intention however thats not what will happen in practice. Because you have stopped the auto gratuities any cash you pay will be put where the auto was going anyway and not where you wanted it to go.

As has been pointed out frequently on this thread that may be your intention however thats not what will happen in practice. Because you have stopped the auto gratuities any cash you pay will be put where the auto was going anyway and not where you wanted it to go.

I think it goes into the pocket of the person who receives it. There is what is "supposed" to happen with that cash, and the likely reality of what happens with it, and that's very different.

I think it goes into the pocket of the person who receives it. There is what is "supposed" to happen with that cash, and the likely reality of what happens with it, and that's very different.

I wouldn't want to be the member of staff who is found to have kept tips from his/her fellow workers. They have to share close living arrangements for 9 months a year. Those who are seen to be stealing from others won't last long.

I wouldn't want to be the member of staff who is found to have kept tips from his/her fellow workers. They have to share close living arrangements for 9 months a year. Those who are seen to be stealing from others won't last long.

Probably not good situation, but probably pretty infrequent also.

We heard lots of stories about crew especially Philipinos fighting after drinking alcohol.

They are some of the nicest crew so the alcohol and possibly the keeping of tips might be behind this.