Missing Items in Cabin

2Canucks

Just to clarify...my friends had everything of value... in the safe... but when they went to get some jewelry for dinner they forgot to put in an envelope of US funds back in the safe. This envelope was left on the closet shelf by mistake. When they returned the jewellery to the safe they realized the fund envelope was missing. Hard lesson.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have not cruised very much (yet, but working diligently on it:D). Always use the safe though. But on my last cruise this Jan on the Island, I left the door propped open for room service since we were on the balcony and wouldn't be able to hear them knock. Our steward was outside and I told him what I was doing so he wouldn't shut the door. I swear he went pale with fear. He begged me to please not do that since if anything went missing he would be blamed and fired. I felt horrible!

I've never seen a steward leave a door propped open to a room they were not inside. I guess if they were in the bathroom a passenger could slip in and take something out by the door. But my guess is if there are valuables left out by the door the steward moves them to a better protected spot while they clean and put them back before leaving.

On my first cruise, I came back one morning from my coffee run to IC and couldn't find my cell phone. My steward was outside so I casually asked him if he had seen it. He hepled me search for it right then. I had a well it'll show up attitude but he didn't. He was very clearly eager to make sure it was found. Well we found it and he was extremely relieved.

So I think just based on my limited experience, we should be very cautious about reporting anything "stolen". It has a devastating impact on the lives of these very hard working people and I'd guess that the item was misplaced or picked up by a cabin mate rather than stolen.

Just to clarify...my friends had everything of value... in the safe... but when they went to get some jewelry for dinner they forgot to put in an envelope of US funds back in the safe. This envelope was left on the closet shelf by mistake. When they returned the jewellery to the safe they realized the fund envelope was missing. Hard lesson.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The best thing to do is to report the loss to Passenger Services. They will send security to search the room. I'm sure we can all relate to thinking we have lost something, only to have it turn up in the most unlikely spot.

We tried to give a tip tp our server at dinner last cruise and he refused saying his boss the team leader got all tips and would share. This was Carnival Dream. I have even been told by frequent cruisers to write a note with tips left in room or the steward could get fired for taking the money. We locked money and credit cards in our safe but cameras were always left in the room and never were bothered as were I-phones also left without incident. I have heard logo American sport team hats are highly desirable though.

• 1 month later...
Back in 97 when taking my first cruise to Mexico I stopped off and purchased some masks and snorkels for the kids to play with in the swimming pool. I unzipped my luggage in the K-mart parking lot in San Pedro. I placed them on top of everything and then proceeded to the port where I dropped the bags off with the porter at the curb. By the time the bags made it to our rooms later that day the swimming toys were missing.

Was the suitcase locked?

I lost a bottle of controlled substance medication. Steward looked for it. He reported it to security. They sent 3 people up and while one who became my friend tore my cabin to shreds the other 2 observed. Never found. Called another crew of 3 to put cabin back in order.

Got home and there was the medicine on the counter where I'd left it. Next time on the ship I told my friend the security guard. He laughed.

I've had door decoration taken twice. Last week the people next door put it on the door. It actually could have been kids who did it but I'd had trouble with them calling security telling them I was banging on their wall which never happened. The security guy got in my face and blatantly accused me of doing so. They slammed their balcony and cabin doors over and over and over. Security did nothing.

We have never had anything stolen, we do tend to keep things in the safe, but my laptop is left out as it won't fit in the safe. We have left a few dollars out as a tip for room service, clearly there with the mini-bar items to be changed out, but although room service came, they didn't take the tip.

I did have a cabin steward who recovered the a plastic part from my curling iron after it had broken off and I put the part in the trash can. He epoxied it back together. Before he did that he was getting a B in the cabin steward report card department, afterwards, he was a total A+. That was above and beyond and although he did pay a bit more attention than might be wanted to what was in the trash can, he clearly delighted me with that repair.

I put the trash can between the bed and the sofa. I had a $10 jar of hand lotion on the edge of the sofa and must have knocked it off into the trash. Never saw it again. It was a new bottle too. Won't do that again.

Yeas ago, we enjoyed a Halloween MR cruise with several friends and families. After a day of serious imbibing in PV, our friend put her purse in the fridge. Her DD and DH watched her and thought there was no point in questioning her tequila logic. Next day, Mom couldn't find her purse, got very excited and was convinced that "Someone Took It!" DD and DH told her to look in the fridge. After some denial and questions, she looked and there it was!